New shop rig...

Options
steveinaz
steveinaz Posts: 19,522
edited December 2021 in 2 Channel Audio
My old Yamaha receiver finally took her last breath. That old girl did 6+ years outside on the patio 24/7, 365; then 3 years in my shop. So a new Yamaha Integrated (and I'm pretty stoked about it) in classic SILVER color, is coming this week; an A-S501. Love the classic look of these integrateds. She'll be matched with the Elac Debut 2.0 5.2 bookies in the shop. Source will be Amazon Music HD via Toslink. I haven't had an integrated amp since 1983 (Pioneer A9). I'll post some pics once it has arrived. Here's a misc internet pic...

gwz4g45b9naa.jpg
Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,070
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Scha-weet.
    Needless to say... I approve. ;)

EDIT: As an aside, I would love to get the opportunity to compare one of the current crop of Yamaha integrateds to a few of the vintage ones some time.
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,915
    Options
    Congrats and a review I hope?
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    Options
    Nice.
    Good specs on it.
    Kinda surprised anyone had it in stock.

6+ yrs outside, then another 3 on top of that from the now retired one, SWEET!!!

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,386
    Options
    oldrocker wrote: »
    Kinda surprised anyone had it in stock.

No doubt.

Steve, I read the title and was thinking to myself.....didn't he just get that rig assembled? I didn't realize that 3 years had passed since you finished that shed. I remember the video and watching it like it wasn't that long ago. Apparently it was. I guess time flies when you are having fun.

Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,081
    Options
    That integrated has such an awesome “shop” look to it. No frills, just get the job done. Love it!
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,481
    edited December 2021
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Scha-weet

What he said^^^. Much simpler controls but reminds me of my very first amp...
    y8n7scu82eyi.png
    Gave up the ghost many years ago. Have wished I'd known the DIY stuff I do now and it would have had a second life as a nostalgic garage rig, too. I've been intrigued by Yamaha's latest offerings.

Worked for Technics at the time I purchased the Yamy and they've recently released some throwback looking amps that have received good reviews.

Old....
    h8dp79qc2a57.png

New....
    5x645abirgfg.png

I'll always have a soft spot for those Yamaha and Technics vintages.

Looking forward to in-use pics. Congrats!
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Love the looks of the new Technics offerings in Black B)

ajdukmvtnnkw.png
  • TEAforONE
    TEAforONE Posts: 1,006
    Options
    My brother runs that same yammy with Wharfedale Denton 80th anniversaries. Really nice match. Congratulations and enjoy!
    See my profile for list of gear.
  • steveinaz
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Sweet. It's coming today!

14drdjh15x5e.jpg
    Post edited by steveinaz on
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Fantastic!
    I had the 801 in black for a few years and it was wonderful. I think you’ll be perfectly happy with it.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    steveinaz wrote: »
    Sweet. It's coming today!

14drdjh15x5e.jpg

but... but... where are you gonna put it?!

ahem. :#
    (sorry... sorry...)

;)
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    oh, in seriousness -- do the ELACs sound better sans the little perforated covers?
    askin' for a friend. ;)

51665522194_a5640772b2_b.jpgDSC_0027 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • steveinaz
    Options
    They sound 723% better without the cheese grater. Seriously.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,619
    Options
    I know @rburgess714 uses a Yamaha integrated in his office setup that he's happy with. I'm sure you'll love it.
  • mhardy6647
    edited December 2021
    Options
    They sound 723% better without the cheese grater. Seriously.

log or linear? ;)

Level with me, I can take it. Is it hard to take the bug screen off (i.e., without cometic damage -- or worse)?
    I mean, I've done dustcapectomies... and the victims patients have survived to tell the tale. ;)
    Believe you me, that was an ****-clenching activity. :#

sz0fh7b92yvy.jpg

• steveinaz
    edited December 2021
    Options
    They are a friction fit. You need to take a pick-like tool and work your way around the perimeter, carefully, and they'll lift right out. Mine came out without damage--you just need some patience and finesse.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    They are a friction fit. You need to take a pick-like tool and work your way around the perimeter, carefully, and they'll lift right out. Mine came out without damage--you just need some patience and finesse.
    Thank you sir!
    Now, let me run through my checklist.
    • Pick like tool? Check!
    • Patience and finesse? ummm... ahhhh... errrrm...

;)

The amplifier looks great in situ!

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,619
    Options
    Pure Direct - Nice!
  • steveinaz
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Thanks man. I've been listening all day to "Smooth Jazz" on Amazon HD Music. I REALLY like this integrated on these little bookies (wish I would have grabbed the 6.2's). Nice soundstage depth that the Yammy receiver just never had. Blacker background and deeper bass as well. The overall presentation is just super-smooth and meaty. I'm pleased. This pup is NEVER going outside. Now I need a vintage Pioneer Tuner and a Lava lamp---somebody talk to me!

In the past I've owned many Yamaha pieces (pre's, turntables, tuners, cdp's, etc) and this integrated is taking me back to WHY.....smoooooooothness.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    I mean... this is sittin' under a table upstairs.
    I am just sayin'...

48553297626_afecc13fb6_b.jpgDSC_6307 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

But, shouldn't it really be a Yamaha tuna? Blood bein' thicker than water and all? B)

• rburgess714
    Options
    Congrats! I have the same one in my office rig and have no intentions of getting rid of it.
    Living Room
    Parasound HINT 6, Yamaha Aventage RX-A 1060, Oppo 103D, Cambridge Audio Azur 851N, KLH Model 5s, Polk CSi A6, Samsung 65" LED

Office
    Yamaha A-S501, Auralic Aries Mini, LSiM 703s

Douglas Connection ICs and Cables
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,915
    Options
    Looks great, congrats!
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,720
    Options
    Brushed alloy is my favorite. Nice acquisition.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • steveinaz
    Options
    Updated:

sgf4i3hpdwds.jpg
  • jumpindick
    Options
    Looks nice.. Enjoy!
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    Options
    That’s a beauty! Congrats!
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.