• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Jealous...
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    edited December 2021
    Clipdat wrote: »
    "So the first thing I noticed is they did away with the dimples on the power supply.."

What does this mean?

They used to have dimples (lack of better word 'cup holders" LOL!! ) where the feet on the pre would drop into. see below.. I am actually glad they did, looks better IMO, especially if you want them separated..

nrx8vnr37lkf.png
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    Oh ok, interesting. I wonder why they changed the design.
  • Toolfan66
    I'm interested in how those Mono's handle the SDA's, I've had one of the 2 channel versions in my sights for a while now. You're the only owner I know of that is going to be hooking them up the SRS's.

So am I, I think they will match up quite well though..
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    I got 🪵🪵🪵
  • Reagan
    Reagan Posts: 116
    I hope you are as happy as I am with my older SLP-05 (recent Ultimate Upgrade). Congrats! It appears that Cary has definitely corrected the design flaw with the headphone access portal. Very nice!
    Speakers: Polk 1.2TL w/VR3 mods and Dreadnaught interconnects
    Amplification: ARC Reference 110 w/KT150s; Cary Audio SLP-05 w/Ultimate Upgrade
    Vinyl: VPI HW19 MK III (Heavily Modded); Origin Live Silver Tonearm; Hana ML Cart; Pete Riggle VTAF; VPI TNT Platter; SAMA; Iphono3
    Digital: Aurender N100H; Benchmark DAC1
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Hey sorry to take so long to opine on this thread. Yes I did the ultimate upgrade, since I had to send it in for service (remote inop) heck might as well. Would I have sent it in just for the upgrade itself? I'm of the mind if it ain't broke, well, in my case it was broke!

I can say that I love it even more! Compared to the stock SLP-05, which for me was no slouch by any means, it simply opened up everything a bit more. Soundstage, depth, detail, high and low extension, you name it.

For me, this is most likely an end game piece. For the moment anyways!

Yeah, I'm a rookie when it comes to tube rolling. Still using the stock EH octet it came with. I did swap out them for a brief period when I though I was having a tube issue, with a NOS octet of Westinghouse tubes. I've got other NOS octets waiting in line too. Sylvania, GE, RCA.

I'm always looking for a set of Popes, or Ken Rad navy tubes, as these seem to be the holy grail!

@GlennDog I'm off for the remainder of the year on vacation, maybe we can get together and roll some tubes! :)

As you may have guessed I'm crazy busy ensuring the garage project gets completed. Very very close!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    @Toolfan66
    The rubber feet stain the metal top plate, cut out a small felt or paper, if you’re gonna stack it.

Looks great. Reminds me of the good ol days for me.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    Welcome ... to the other side!
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    9g3wx1mmq9q9.jpeg

Give everything a 100 hours or so, and you won't be able to find an image that will relate the emotions ;)

• Joey_V
    GlennDog wrote: »
    Welcome ... to the other side!

Ha
    It’s a very nice side
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • GlennDog
    Larry's MIA . . . as Tony would say "his sack's been blown back"
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • verb
    9g3wx1mmq9q9.jpeg

Exactly! Glad you're loving it so far!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Toolfan66
    edited December 2021
    I will just say this for now, I feel almost ashamed to have been starving these SDA's for what they can truly do, you just don't know till you know. Not only does it feel like I have new gear, but new speakers as well. I know at the end of the day it's just stereo gear, but I feel really blessed to have this after looking at pictures of it like a hot redhead in a mini skirt for a few years..

I have just been in awe, and this is just out of the box. I could actually start to hear things change just after a few hours, I am sure that is just because everything was getting nice and warm, and the fact that it's supposed to get better is just crazy to fathom. I have two and a half days of work this week then I am off till the 3rd of January, I don't plan to shut this off till then..

I should also note this system is super quiet, I am running it fully balanced with MIT Shotgun XLR Cables, well the whole system is MIT Shotgun cables.

I do need to find some upgraded power cables for my amps, this is on my list to get coming in very soon..

For the record I am running it as it was shipped, EH tubes, and cable. I plan on running it like this for a while before I roll in the Sylvania Tubes I picked up, and the cable I got from Brad..

The very first thing I noticed was the punch of the lower end, it came at you with authority, nice and tight, so much so that when I turned it up to really feel it, it took the door bell cover off the wall, and the dial was at about 10 o'clock. It was crazy, I was laughing, and smiling at the same time. Glad it didn't break it, because when we were remodeling we couldn't find anything we really liked so I cleaned this one up, I modified it, and finished it to match the work we did, the couch broke it's fall..

Wyred4Sound's motto is to Rediscover Your Music, well Cary took it and put it on steroids..

I will fill in more later after it has been running for a while on the clarity, separation, and blackness..
    Post edited by Toolfan66 on
  • Joey_V
    Yeah I remember why I had one for do long, it’s one of my favorite pieces of gear. Enjoy!
  • pitdogg2
    Cary be looking gooood!!
  • pitdogg2
    Having that extra headroom is truly a great feeling.
  • Joey_V
    I now have about 50+ hours playing on these, definitely have opened up, really noticeable in the vocals, even the bass is crisper, and tighter. Also one other thing I have noticed over the last few days is how lower volume friendly my system has become, and 9:00 is plenty loud enough, it really rocks the house, but push it to about 10:00 it really takes it well with ease, I know there is plenty of headroom to take more but really there is no reason to push it beyond 9:00 IMO.

I am truly in love with with this Cary gear, I will definitely pull the trigger on one of their streamers sometime down the road..

I am looking forward to changing out the cable, and tubes down the road, but I seriously have no issues with what I’m hearing thus far…

If you’re ever ready or willing, I can ship you my Popes to try. Just return them when done. It could give you an idea for future upgrades.
  • Toolfan66
    Joey_V wrote: »
    I now have about 50+ hours playing on these, definitely have opened up, really noticeable in the vocals, even the bass is crisper, and tighter. Also one other thing I have noticed over the last few days is how lower volume friendly my system has become, and 9:00 is plenty loud enough, it really rocks the house, but push it to about 10:00 it really takes it well with ease, I know there is plenty of headroom to take more but really there is no reason to push it beyond 9:00 IMO.

I am truly in love with with this Cary gear, I will definitely pull the trigger on one of their streamers sometime down the road..

I am looking forward to changing out the cable, and tubes down the road, but I seriously have no issues with what I’m hearing thus far…

If you’re ever ready or willing, I can ship you my Popes to try. Just return them when done. It could give you an idea for future upgrades.

That would be great Joey, we can talk about doing that down the road after I play with what I got for now, plus I would like to have more hours on this when I do..

Thanks for the offer..

• verb

I just picked up a pre-owned DMS550 from TMR a short while ago. Not a whole lot of time on it yet, but so far love it!
  • GlennDog
    edited December 2021
    Simply an FYI;
    My front end is a Lumin U1 Mini streaming into a Lampizator Amber 3 DAC to Cary-05

VG synergy IMHO

Anywho, just food for thought

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

edit
    ps When you're ready, ditch that JJ recti and get a NOS Amperex or Mullard
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,965
    GlennDog wrote: »
    Simply an FYI;
    My front end is a Lumin U1 Mini streaming into a Lampizator Amber 3 DAC to Cary-05

VG synergy IMHO

Anywho, just food for thought

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

edit
    ps When you're ready, ditch that JJ recti and get a NOS Amperex or Mullard

Have you done the external power supply yet on lumin u1 mini ?

If not... That should be your next upgrade as it is night and day

Don't mind this interuption, thank you haha
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • GlennDog
    I've toyed with the idea of moving up to the Lumin U1 with separate power supply. Folks in the know, say the Mini is about 85 - 90% of the U1 . . . and then there's the optional PS Upgrade to the X1

When I fully embrace the maxim "you never saw a trailer hitch on a hearse" . . . I'll spring for it

Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,965
    No no... The s booster is 400 bucks... And totally worth it.

Takes 15 minutes to install

Night and day improvement
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Toolfan66
    I have a NOS RCA, and a Sylvania, but I guess they are the same tube, I haven’t tried one yet but I will.

I have been looking for a Mullard as well..
  • Toolfan66
    Oh, and Merry Christmas!! 🎁😎