To poly or not to poly...

Options
I picked up set of 5a's a few months ago. I upgraded the crossovers with clarity caps. I decided to rip off the vinyl and put some real wood veneer on them. I went with walnut PSA. I did my last veneer project on some M4's with paper backed cherry, that was a lot more work and a bit messy with the glue.
So my question is should I poly them or leave as is. I first used a fake tung oil. It's basically a varnish and linseed oil but I liked how it looked on some samples.
so here are some pictures of what it looks like now. I like how they look but I am wondering if I should put a coat of poly on them. I don't want them to look plasticly, so I am thinking a mat or satin poly. itm5me9iu5j4.jpg
01ulejby8ljl.jpg
bfdyhucx112u.jpg
M7's 1982 Peerless tweeters
M5's X2 (1981 Peerless tweeters, 1988 with upgraded tweeters)
M4's X2 both with Peerless tweeters
M5Jr with SL1500 (in the garage, they sound great)
M4.6 series2 X2 with upgraded tweeters
SDA 2 with upgraded tweeters

Comments

• Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,190
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Those are beautiful! I honestly can't see how you can improve upon what you have very much. Perhaps a little less sheen might be a little bit preferable........

Do you want to have polyfill down behind the passives? In my 7Bs there is a roll tucked up at the top behind MW + tweeter area only and lower is completely empty.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,707
    Options
    Gorgeous as it. Don't ruin a good thing.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,808
    Options
    Applying a few coats of a wiping poly will add considerable protection and increase the beauty. You need to be sure the fake tung oil has cured completely before top coating. The current satin sheen is very nice, going to a matte will take the life out of the wood.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• wispolkboy
    Options
    I decided to not put a poly on it, at least for now and no wax, just incase I add further coats of tung oil...
    F1... I definitely knew not to add poly at least for a good month or longer... I will test on the bottom of the speakers when that time comes.
    I got them all button up and tested for air leaks... Has a good seal! I have these speakers in my work room driven by NAD 3020 . I brought one up to the living room for a few pictures. 2gin9tms6db6.jpg
    p3q7gshgsjrh.jpg
    d0edg9fiegc4.jpg
    6ugd5kdr47wm.jpg
  • wispolkboy
    Options
    Those are beautiful! I honestly can't see how you can improve upon what you have very much. Perhaps a little less sheen might be a little bit preferable........

Do you want to have polyfill down behind the passives? In my 7Bs there is a roll tucked up at the top behind MW + tweeter area only and lower is completely empty.

Poly is tucked up behind the mw... Bottom completely empty
    Thanks for your nice comment
  • wispolkboy
    Options
    b583a60rstsx.jpg
  • wispolkboy
    Options
    xschop wrote: »
    Gorgeous as it. Don't ruin a good thing.

Thanks you...
    I have been a long member of the club, but I don't post too much but read a lot post from of all 3 you guys. I have learned a lot, I appreciate it...
  • xschop
    Options
    I'm a fan. The walnut makes them look original. Before, I never understood why Polk countersunk the passive, but not the MW. Now I believe that they did it for baffle strength.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,929
    Options
    I'm a fan. The walnut makes them look original. Before, I never understood why Polk countersunk the passive, but not the MW. Now I believe that they did it for baffle strength.

Because there is no clearance between the driver, and passive is my guess..

• xschop
    Options
    Toolfan66 wrote: »

Because there is no clearance between the driver, and passive is my guess..

Agree, the 5B's have an extra 1/2" clearance between MW and PR.
  • wispolkboy
    Options
    My m7's are the same way... And there is clearance... cfrd8gm0x0pc.jpg
  • xschop
    edited December 2021
    Options
    That actually makes sense to give those 7s extra cleance to make up for the flex of the wider baffle than the 5As
  • F1nut
    Options
    Surface mount, recessed mount....flex...clearance...

Ya'll must have too much time on your hands to be over analyzing that stuff.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• xschop
    Options
    If they were mine, they'd be corrected, priceless heirloom or not.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,439
    Options
    I like the Minwax water based polyurethane.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    Very nice work! Gotta love the PSA Backed Veneers. Leave them be now. The finish looks beautiful.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • wispolkboy
    Options
    Very nice work! Gotta love the PSA Backed Veneers. Leave them be now. The finish looks beautiful.

Thank you... They were somewhat beat up when I got them. Dust caps were pushed in and the outsides looked liked they seen a few party's.
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    Options
    Love your vintage set-up. Wish NAD went back to creating amps with that lab-look type of build quality.

Also agree, the finish on the Polks looks stunning. Nice work!

Hope you post more.
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • wispolkboy
    Options
    jbreezy5 wrote: »
    Love your vintage set-up. Wish NAD went back to creating amps with that lab-look type of build quality.

Also agree, the finish on the Polks looks stunning. Nice work!

Hope you post more.

Thank you...
    I have the NAD'S bridged powering my M7's. I wish I could afford something better but they do the job especially for my old ears.
  • Faustin
    Faustin Posts: 1,149
    Options
    Very nice. I have redone several models of vintage Polks in the PSA veneer. Really like working with it. Have not used walnut, but have seriously considered it. Now I know what to expect. I agree with F1nut about using wipe-on poly. Really gives a nice smooth finish.
  • wispolkboy
    Options
    Faustin wrote: »
    Very nice. I have redone several models of vintage Polks in the PSA veneer. Really like working with it. Have not used walnut, but have seriously considered it. Now I know what to expect. I agree with F1nut about using wipe-on poly. Really gives a nice smooth finish.

Thank you...
    I just picked up some water based satin poly... All is on hold until after the holidays, wife is not happy about the smell of the tung oil. (roll eyes)
    I have a pair of 5b's that I might veneer.. Just trying to figure out how to cut the bevel off. Trying to veneer all those angles would be a nightmare. Going to put real wood in its place.... I thought of using a router to rabbit it, but I think that i will use my dado blade on the table saw... It would be much easier if I could remove the grill tabs.
    Any one have any other ideas?
  • F1nut
    Options
    I would not use waterbased over an oil.

President of Club Polk

• wispolkboy
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    I would not use waterbased over an oil.

I wanted to be clear as possible... Oil based can have an amber tint to it that I don't desire.... I know oil is stronger but they are not going to be abused or have any thing set on top of them...
  • F1nut
    Options
    I was speaking to compatibility. I know some say it's ok, but I don't.

As for a slight amber tint. Unaged walnut is a cold color, so an amber tint will warm it up.

President of Club Polk

• maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,522
    Options
    I love the way they look as they are now. Great job and good luck with any more finishing.
  • wispolkboy
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    I was speaking to compatibility. I know some say it's ok, but I don't.

As for a slight amber tint. Unaged walnut is a cold color, so an amber tint will warm it up.

Ahhh... I didn't really consider the compatibility... I will do some test samples
    maxward wrote: »
    I love the way they look as they are now. Great job and good luck with any more finishing.
    Well thank you..
  • westmassguy
    Options
    wispolkboy wrote: »
    Faustin wrote: »

Thank you...
    I just picked up some water based satin poly... All is on hold until after the holidays, wife is not happy about the smell of the tung oil. (roll eyes)
    I have a pair of 5b's that I might veneer.. Just trying to figure out how to cut the bevel off. Trying to veneer all those angles would be a nightmare. Going to put real wood in its place.... I thought of using a router to rabbit it, but I think that i will use my dado blade on the table saw... It would be much easier if I could remove the grill tabs.
    Any one have any other ideas?

I did these Monitor 10s a few years ago:
    https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/149215/monitor-10-rebuild-with-tl-mod/p1

The beveled edge was done one plane at a time. I used PSA backed walnut edge band veneer, an 8" or 10" piece of 1" X 3", and a sharp utility knife. After the cut was made, I used a sanding block with #220 grit paper to flatten the rough cut, so the veneer for the next plane would lie flat.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • wispolkboy
    Options

The beveled edge was done one plane at a time. I used PSA backed walnut edge band veneer, an 8" or 10" piece of 1" X 3", and a sharp utility knife. After the cut was made, I used a sanding block with #220 grit paper to flatten the rough cut, so the veneer for the next plane would lie flat. [/quote]

those look really nice! I came across your thread on your 10's a couple of years ago and that help me make gave me the idea of veneering my m4's last year. the problem I have with veneers are the edges. it seems that they do not stain well. it's always has that l lighter look. I really wanted to avoid that by making a rabbit cut and using a solid piece of wood. I did see a thread on the site that a person used a table saw and made a cut on the face and side. he said that he used a 1/2" spacer on the face because of the grill tabs, but I don't how he really did that.
    thank you for responding to my question on the bevel. I do read a lot of your post and appreciate all your knowledge on so many topics.
    Have a Merry Christmas!
  • westmassguy
    Options
    wispolkboy wrote: »

The beveled edge was done one plane at a time. I used PSA backed walnut edge band veneer, an 8" or 10" piece of 1" X 3", and a sharp utility knife. After the cut was made, I used a sanding block with #220 grit paper to flatten the rough cut, so the veneer for the next plane would lie flat.

those look really nice! I came across your thread on your 10's a couple of years ago and that help me make gave me the idea of veneering my m4's last year. the problem I have with veneers are the edges. it seems that they do not stain well. it's always has that l lighter look. I really wanted to avoid that by making a rabbit cut and using a solid piece of wood. I did see a thread on the site that a person used a table saw and made a cut on the face and side. he said that he used a 1/2" spacer on the face because of the grill tabs, but I don't how he really did that.
    thank you for responding to my question on the bevel. I do read a lot of your post and appreciate all your knowledge on so many topics.
    Have a Merry Christmas! [/quote]

With the paper backed veneers, there's always a chance the edge will not take stain.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • F1nut
    Options
    Touch up markers will take care of that.

President of Club Polk