Using Polk sda-crs+ sideways. 90 degrees rotated

Options
Just curious what exactly will rotating the crs+ 90 degrees will do to sound perception

If I understand it right, sda effect is to remove horizontal lobing . But bigger sda speakers with arrays of drivers most probably exhibit vertical lobing effect

Comments

• RandyCroissant
    Options
    You need to read the SDA handbook.
    Yamaha RXA1030, Yamaha CD-S2100, Yamaha AS-2200, Bluesound node 2i
    Polk SDA2btl highly modded
    Polk SDA 1C modded
    Polk CS350 LS x2
    Kimber 8TC
    Sony 55" Bravia
    Wish list SVS sub

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,053
    Options
    Only if you plan on sitting sideways on the middle of your wall
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,585
    Options
    You do not understand SDA..... At all.
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,474
    edited December 2021
    Options
    You need to read the SDA handbook.

This... Read up on manual & you may understand a little more understanding of what you have
    Randy/Maine
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    Alrighty now.
    Enlighten me sport
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    Lobing is variable spl off axis. Sda is like turning speakers into headphones that sound like speakers

Well I guess that is one way to look at it.
    So did you try it and turn them sideways?
    What was your take away from the experiment?
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Well, we got the “least thought out” question OTY for 2021 JUST under the wire....

Turn it on it’s side and you lose interaural crosstalk cancellation, sport.....which sorta defeats the purpose of having SDA’s
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • TennMan
    TennMan Posts: 1,264
    edited December 2021
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »
    Only if you plan on sitting sideways on the middle of your wall

Best answer by far. I can't help but laugh every time I think about it. :D
    • SDA 2BTL · Sonicaps · Mills resistors · RDO-198s · New gaskets · H-nuts · Erse inductors · BH5 · Dynamat
    • Crossover upgrades by westmassguy
    • Marantz 1504 AVR (front speaker pre-outs to Adcom 555)
    • Adcom GFA-555 amp · Upgrades & speaker protection added by OldmanSRS
    • Pioneer DV-610AV DVD/CD player
    • SDA CRS+ · Hidden away in the closet
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,707
    Options
    The soundstage is there, however it diminishes considerably. Now if you move them a bit further apart on their sides, the soundstage opens up a little more...btdt
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,466
    Options
    Damn, you guys are harsh. He asked a polite question. Clearly did some thinking, just didn't have the right information to work with.
    I disabled signatures.
  • boston1450
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Lmao. You can do whatever you want. You could buy a car & state you want to drive it with 3 wheels. Other can say why would you do that. It was made to drive with 4 wheels. Why put up such a fuss & say r e t a r d people. Shame on you. This community doesn't need talk like that
    Not harsh. It's the usual over reaction of most retarded people. They can hardly ever show their knowledge as they don't know much. So whenever there is an opportunity to prove 2+2 does not equal 4 they will make sure to spend extra time and effort showing their sharp mind that quickly caught the error In thinking that 2+2 = 3. Basically the accent is not on understanding or explaining of science but more on loud and vocal display that they know something accompanied by personal attacks. Chimps in zoos basically.

Randy/Maine
  • xschop
    Options
    Not harsh. It's the usual over reaction of most retarded people. They can hardly ever show their knowledge as they don't know much. So whenever there is an opportunity to prove 2+2 does not equal 4 they will make sure to spend extra time and effort showing their sharp mind that quickly caught the error In thinking that 2+2 = 3. Basically the accent is not on understanding or explaining of science but more on loud and vocal display that they know something accompanied by personal attacks. Chimps in zoos basically.

How dare you employ critical thinking? Don't you know "we are the science"?....sounds familiar
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,466
    Options
    Damn. That was harsh.
    I disabled signatures.
  • TroyD
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Big bag of sailboat fuel.....again, if you understand A. what IAC is and B. how SDA deals with that in general and how the CRS's are designed in specific.....you would understand why it's not a well thought out question.

And for the record, it's not the "hey, what would happen if I turn my CRS on their end".....it's the steadfast, yet uninformed, commitment to the nonsense that followed.

That said, good luck with the whole crayon eating thing....
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    I asked the OP a question that has yet to be answered.
    So did you try it and turn them sideways?
    What was your take away from the experiment?

• boston1450
    Options
    There are many here who don't/can't get SDA placement due to room. Many have tried different things on their own. Try it. You may like it better who knows. Enjoy your speakers
    Randy/Maine
  • TroyD
    edited December 2021
    Options
    NM...
  • xschop
    Options
    Appears you've been enlightened grasshopper.
  • xschop
    Options
    I was referring to your enlightenment of the Think PoPo.
  • TroyD
    edited December 2021
    Options
    So, just how do the people in your life deal with you licking windows continually? Bulk discount on Windex and paper towels? Do they buy in bulk at Costco or is it a recurring delivery on Amazon?

All this because we know, in terms of what IAC is (and by default isn't) and how SDA (and other forms of IAC cancellation like Carver's Sonic Holography deals with it (passive or active)......and you don't?

I don't really have to read ANY books, other than the owners manual perhaps, to know that if I turn my CRS's on their ends, the IAC cancellation scheme goes right out the window......but don't take my word for it, just do it and you could have gone on your merry way.

Please tell me you aren't as dumb as you appear to be. If you can't say that, just stop posting.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,053
    Options
    Crosstalk cancelation that SDA is targeting is to target the issue where the left ear picks up sound from The right speaker and the right ear from. The left speaker.

The cancelation frequency and driver spacing is based around all of these factors.

When you turn the speakers vertical, you remove the part of the equation of how you hear.

So unless you intend to mount one to the ceiling and one to the floor and listen sideways, you probably won't find that oritentation to work as designed.

It has nothing with recording or microphones cross talking, blah blah.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.