Using Polk sda-crs+ sideways. 90 degrees rotated

Options
2»

Comments

• xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,727
    Options
    ^^^^ Check out how many times agree button gets hit^^^^
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • BlueBirdMusic
    Options
    Another way I like to have SDA's on the wall.

5hzmso6yz9w9.png

"Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,631
    Options
    Another way I like to have SDA's on the wall.

5hzmso6yz9w9.png

I was just thinking about this. LMAO
    good times had by all....
  • xschop
    Options
    ^^^^like^^^^ Good luck getting any bass response from factory CRS mounted to the walls lol
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    Why don't more people come here to converse politely and stick around?

This is definitely the answer to your question and a picture is worth a thousand words.

kmob6g10xlu2.jpg
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Onkyo A-8017 integrated
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,958
    edited December 2021
    Options
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,094
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Why don't more people come here to converse politely and stick around?

This is definitely the answer to your question and a picture is worth a thousand words.

kmob6g10xlu2.jpg

Well... It's probably just as useful to belittle a questioner as to befuddle one -- unless one knows that the questioner's comfortable with notions like "t plus delta(t)" (e.g., knows something about longitudinal wave propagation and interference).

Heck, there are plenty of folks in this hobby who don't know the difference between phase and polarity -- which are actually pretty fundamental concepts (and not interchangeable, conventional "wisdom" notwithstanding).

• Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,203
    edited December 2021
    Options
    The difference is that my *intention* was certainly not to befuddle but to illustrate. Can you think of a better place for understanding to begin than the above diagram? It is from the white paper by Matthew Polk that he himself (the OP not MP lol) posted the link to. I think he gonna be fine.
    George / NJ

Onkyo A-8017 integrated
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    The difference is that my *intention* was certainly not to befuddle but to illustrate. Can you think of a better place for understanding to begin than the above diagram? It is from the white paper by Matthew Polk that he himself (the OP not MP lol) posted the link to. I think he gonna be fine.

Need to know something about superposition of waves and constructive and destructive interference to get much out of that. I grant you that this is taught in high school physics (or at least it was, forty-plus years ago), but I am not sure how many folks remember that stuff.
    I see red and blue arrows. I understand (at least at a rudimentary level) the physics behind interaural crosstalk cancellation, and I am not at all sure what that diagram's getting at.
  • xschop
    Options
    Don't forget, Mr. Polk said to experiment with the SDA's.
  • mhardy6647
    edited December 2021
    Options
    xschop wrote: »
    Don't forget, Mr. Polk said to experiment with the SDA's.

I would certainly encourage the OP to try any configuration they'd like to try. No downside to it unless one might try "unanticipated" wiring configurations that might cook an amplifier, crossover, or driver. :|

Movin' speakers around in three dimensions is pretty benign intervention (barring calamity such as dropping one or inadvertent short-circuiting of a live speaker cable that comes undone).

• xschop
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Ideally you'd want the solid red line congruent with dashed red line, no?

The diagram assumes your head is on a level plane between the speakers. I can attest that when they are placed vertical (SDA driver on top), the soundstage diminishes... Until you drop your noggin much lower, then the sounstage reappears... Not quite as pronounced as the original diagram position however.

So strict geometry of the drivers to your ears determines the quality of the IACC.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    ... as in the Jamaica Bobslead Team alignment for an early L800 demo. :|

zliiwyhlftic.png

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,112
    Options
    I believe if one is trying to find the proper degree of orientation, you should start at 42 degrees tilt
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,203
    edited December 2021
    Options
    For people who have SDAs set up they could try turning their heads 90deg, while keeping the ears in the sweet spot. See what happens to the SDA effect. I bet it is much diminished because I think that delta t max in the diagram is a vectored distance where the vectored distance between the ears need to be in the same direction.

^^^That is definitely NOT the way they were demonstrated at the New York Audio Show when I heard them and if they had done that there would've been a lot more people who would've gone away impressed. The room was just packed with chairs almost wall to wall. :#
    George / NJ

Onkyo A-8017 integrated
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,856
    Options
    For people who have SDAs set up they could try turning their heads 90deg, while keeping the ears in the sweet spot. See what happens to the SDA effect.
    It's not an effect.

The same thing would happen regardless of whether one is listening to SDA speakers or not.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Gardenstater
    Options
    The crosstalk cancellation signal from the R speaker needs to be heard predominantly by the R ear (head blocks the L somewhat) and the same holds for the L. If the head is turned 90deg that crosstalk cancellation signal would be heard equally (more or less) by both ears destroying the crosstalk cancellation.
    George / NJ

Onkyo A-8017 integrated
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,856
    Options
    Yep, ends up sounding the same as non-SDA speakers, which is what I said above.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Gardenstater
    Options
    xschop wrote: »
    Ideally you'd want the solid red line congruent with dashed red line, no?

The diagram assumes your head is on a level plane between the speakers. I can attest that when they are placed vertical (SDA driver on top), the soundstage diminishes... Until you drop your noggin much lower, then the sounstage reappears... Not quite as pronounced as the original diagram position however.

So strict geometry of the drivers to your ears determines the quality of the IACC.

With the speakers incorrectly oriented; SDA driver and Stereo Driver in vertical alignment, the image should be highly unstable depending upon the listening height because Delta T will vary depending upon how tall someone is and whether they are sitting or standing. The crossovers can't possibly be designed to take into account a varying condition like that. Also it seems to me that having the SDA drivers further outboard with the correct speaker orientation helps to make the interaural crosstalk cancellation effect more pronounced due to the head blocking off the other ear a bit better.
    George / NJ

Onkyo A-8017 integrated
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • xschop
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Agree. So the only way to get any decent IACC, is to be literally on the floor looking up at them on their sides....no bueno

But Bluebird was onto something...
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,292
    Options
    What is the OP trying to accomplish here, an offset D'Appolito design
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    I smell a troll. A former member who was banned perhaps?
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,507
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    eh7al48eiiy5.gif
    "Two away!!! Two away, Brian! Two away!"
    "You tooo!"
    I disabled signatures.