The Grande Utopia Project

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    VR3 wrote: »
    I have no idea how this will sound

https://youtu.be/4-Yde6PbS1Y

DAYUM! Sounds like they are getting after it!
    Those look huge.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    They sound Grande to me!
  • Even coming through youtube and my computer sound card I could tell there's a lot of effortless power and air there. :) What's the track?
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,970
    Great song!

je0c74r6accg.jpg
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    Speakers look taller than the Christmas tree! My wife is a saint, but yours is an angel!
  • VR3
    Kw750...

If the grande was a bucking bronco before the kw750 is definitely the ring master.

Wow wow wow
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    What he is really saying is that he is doing a Meg Ryan right now...

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • VR3
  • treitz3
    VR3 wrote: »
    I have no idea how this will sound

https://youtu.be/4-Yde6PbS1Y
    Trey, do this again but this time, try it with the new amp. I am wondering if the difference can be heard on our end...

Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • VR3
    edited December 2021
    I'll do that next time I listen

Side note, I listened to blue man group last night... Frightening. I've seen them live and the grande brings the experience.

The difference is the tri Vista is like perfect for the mezzo. It just is not enough for grande. The amount of effortless clarity and weight in the mids and highs is amazing with the extra headroom
  • VR3
    So this is approximately the same volume... For some reason the compressor on my phone didn't kick in this time... But none the less you can really hear the headroom the system has at full tilt... Like it is coasting now!

https://youtu.be/bkkj_JqgbrI
  • treitz3
    Oh, yeah. You can tell the difference even from afar. Much cleaner, clearer, crisp and articulate. Can't wait to hear it in person. I'll be there at 4:00 this morning. I hope we don't wake the little one...

Tom
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited December 2021
    Kw’s and Grand Utopias?

I’ll bet that a disturbing amount man chowder has been flying around that room lately
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • VR3
    Freaking goose bumps...surreal

The dynamic build between 1:45 to 230 is... Incredible

https://youtu.be/i2frvXgoLaI
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    I've heard Bose Wave Radios that sound better than that.
  • VR3
    Lol!
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    Imagine how much better they would be if you got them six feet out into the room. :p
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    I saw a few photos of other setups with these speakers and it seems like they aren't too picky about placement and wall boundaries:
    y765ki356owp.png
    6u1if9twfwqf.png
    5ivcesvd9o28.png
    maxresdefault.jpg

• VR3
    Yeah the grande is by far the least picky speaker I've ever owned... If my room was bigger I would definitely get them further off the back wall
  • VR3
    Listened for several hours last night and this song has become a huge favorite

obwthc95aduk.jpg

The Marian hill remix

The drum hit is extremely dynamic and the subsonic bass sweep that happen periodically through out the song is simply ridiculous.

Great mix.
  • VR3
    Final phase of the band aid mod before I can do a future full tear down and rewire

9fktbw2ls03r.jpg
    95e6661ytch4.jpg
  • treitz3
    Did the band aid mod make any discernible change?

Tom
  • VR3
    edited January 2022
    Absolutely... Far superior sound staging and all of the high frequency hash is gone from those silly ceramics and cheap poly caps (and maybe even that inductor placement)... Oh and far greater Air in the highs

Edit... This is the first time I have thought the mids and highs to be comparable to the modded mezzo but maybe not 100%.

There are still two audyn caps directly in line with the mids that will take a substantial investment and full rebuild to go CMR
  • VR3
  • Reagan
    Reagan Posts: 116
    What is the tune? Not "Band Aid Mod" I know. It's crazy but you can kind of hear the quality through the PC headphones. Can't wait to hear this in person!
    Speakers: Polk 1.2TL w/VR3 mods and Dreadnaught interconnects
    Amplification: ARC Reference 110 w/KT150s; Cary Audio SLP-05 w/Ultimate Upgrade
    Vinyl: VPI HW19 MK III (Heavily Modded); Origin Live Silver Tonearm; Hana ML Cart; Pete Riggle VTAF; VPI TNT Platter; SAMA; Iphono3
    Digital: Aurender N100H; Benchmark DAC1
  • VR3
    edited January 2022
    Gracias 😊 great track

jrjsbvmpb501.jpg
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,963
    With sound like that, I'm not sure how you get any work done!
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • VR3
    I have to admit I find myself listening whenever I can! 👂👂👂