PSW505 need advice for repair or replace.

Signal intermittently would work or not. (No green light) but red light always lit. This is (new) but out of warranty as I have not used it and has been stored in box in my home. I would appreciate knowledgeable people to view pictures and give opinion on getting a new board or get a replacement and suggestions on alternate replacement boards is welcomed. By the looks and not being very electronics savvy, I would have to say there is problem here. :p Thanks in advance for your time.oh9cxesu8wxd.jpg
43uqd78rgiog.jpg
z2dyweg0wuw2.jpg

Best Answers

• jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    Answer ✓
    Not worth saving IMO.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,480
    Answer ✓
    Agree with Jeremy. The caps have upchucked their contents and it looks like a nuclear meltdown. Once the corrosive contents start eating at the traces and other components next to the caps it's game over 99% of the time. The board work to repair would be far more than the cost of the sub. Put good money towards a new sub. Look at HSU or SVS.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    Answer ✓

Answers

• Thanks, jeremymarcinko
  • Thanks everyone. Pittdogg2, thanks for putting your answer in a way I can understand. :p Even though I tried to show the mess I didn't even get it all. Already been researching a new sub. Have the the ones you mentioned on the list.
    Clipdat, I will look at Rhythmik too. Thanks.
    I have a 16'x22' room and use the sub a lot for music. I ran into a sub I think is great for music even though it has a smaller driver. (10") The RSL Speedwoofer 10S. Other than that the SVS looks good to me. I know I like a tight crisp bass for music that doesn't muddy the mix. Thanks again.
  • Clipdat
    edited December 2021
    REL also makes a good sub.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Bingus wrote: »
    I know I like a tight crisp bass for music that doesn't muddy the mix.
    Then you definitely want to take a real hard look at a sealed direct servo sub. That's what they excel at.

Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Clipdat, thanks for the REL recommendation. I am enjoying the hunt as I still have an old Infinity sub backup that is holding it's own right now. You led me to exactly what I am looking for. The REL has closed box subs that will probably have the tight, articulate output for music. I really want to hear them. Then I might find a plate for the PSW505 if I want a little rumble with movies. I was never very happy with the PSW505. Just OK with music if you don't push it. It reasonably filled the low frequency with the my Polk 75T's which I am very happy with. Decent inexpensive towers. Articulate and throw some decent midrange bass. Only need the lower frequencies filled.
  • Clipdat
    edited December 2021
    REL, SVS, HSU, and Rythmik are all in a completely different league than the PSW505. Happy hunting.
  • Bingus
    Bingus Posts: 9
    edited December 2021
    Clipdat, Checked out Rhythmik. Another great sub. Both the Rythmik and REL will offer music and decent HT (not my thing) if I use it for HT. Both have a good price option without sacrificing quality. I really appreciate you guys leading me in the right direction. Some of the hype can get your head spinning. I am going to put SVS on the back burner for now as I don't need all the Digital integration. Thanks again. The REL 1205 is looking like a leader for me for a multipurpose sub. I can not dive any deeper into the REL music subs. A little rich for me. ;-) Still reading on the Rhythmic though. Got to hear them both.
  • Clipdat
    Really happy with my Rythmik L12 for $600. Great price to performance ratio.
  • Treitz3, I had to come back here one more time to tell you I am learning and was intrigued with what I have read about direct servo. I am really taking all the information and processing it since I asked and have never taken the time before and ended up unhappy with my selections. I get it and for a person that just wants to put a sub down find the right spot and frequency, this is definitely what I am looking for. It's built in and really sounds like it keeps the frequency clean. I want you guys to know I am enjoying myself as I am reading about direct servo on the Rhythmik website right now. I won't keep setting off notifications but will let you know what I decide when that day comes. Hopefully not too long. I think i can hear my little Infinity sub yelling "help".
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,480
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Really happy with my Rythmik L12 for $600. Great price to performance ratio.

That's a great endorsement since you use headphones.... :D:D:D
  • Clipdat
    Ivan you gotta try a pair of Audeze LCD-3s. Life changing.
  • I'm always in headphones too, but company frowns on it. B) They stop coming by. I listen with the Beyerdynamic 990 Edition Premiums and they thoroughly show what I am looking for in bass. So far with all my reading the Rythmic L12 is in the lead. The REL HT1205 would be a little overkill for a very similar listening experience.
  • Clipdat
    I don't like Beyers. Their treble is like icepicks in my ears.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    @Bingus - If you really want some good, unadulterated Rythmik reviews/observations and the like? Use the search button on this forum and just look up the key word "Rythmik". I certainly did before I got mine and this was after speaking with some heavy hitters of the industry in my search for a sub.

I have probably heard well over 40-50 different subs, the two sealed direct servo subs I have heard topped all of them for not having boom at the bottom. I can't STAND boom at the bottom. One of them was an Infinity and the other is a Rythmik.

I do currently own two Rythmik subs for my main rig. With that said, I have said it once, I'll say it again. I do not think it is Rythmik (the company) that makes such good subs. I believe it is simply the technology of the direct servo sub itself. They are tighter than a gnat's posterior, yet fully capable of being authoritative when called upon.

Whatever you decide upon, happy reading and happy hunting. You will be much happier with anything suggested in this thread over the sub that you currently have.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Clipdat wrote: »
    I don't like Beyers. Their treble is like icepicks in my ears.

I was really surprised at how they came so close to sibilant with me too. Got better through the break in but still on that edge. It's just the mids and treble is so balanced and forward. I imagine I could get better with some more money but with those characteristics and a clean tight bass that does not interfere with the mids or treble at all to my ears, but still have a strong bass presence, I was hooked. Funny thing is, is that I am real sensitive to sibilant and usually reject headphones that are so close to the edge as these. I looked at the price on the Audeze to see if I should try on a pair. I better stay away for now. ;-)
  • treitz3 wrote: »
    @Bingus - If you really want some good, unadulterated Rythmik reviews/observations and the like? Use the search button on this forum and just look up the key word "Rythmik". I certainly did before I got mine and this was after speaking with some heavy hitters of the industry in my search for a sub.

I have probably heard well over 40-50 different subs, the two sealed direct servo subs I have heard topped all of them for not having boom at the bottom. I can't STAND boom at the bottom. One of them was an Infinity and the other is a Rythmik.

I do currently own two Rythmik subs for my main rig. With that said, I have said it once, I'll say it again. I do not think it is Rythmik (the company) that makes such good subs. I believe it is simply the technology of the direct servo sub itself. They are tighter than a gnat's posterior, yet fully capable of being authoritative when called upon.

Whatever you decide upon, happy reading and happy hunting. You will be much happier with anything suggested in this thread over the sub that you currently have.

Tom

I am reading the same that you are talking about and I feel the same as you in respect to what I want to hear and not hear in a sub. I also had to get honest with myself and realize my broad spectrum of listening requires a sub that is not a one trick pony. I need an all around something that I can reach back and nudge the gain a bit for some of my music. I enjoy virtuoso guitar and when I listen to Vai, Sat, Timmons, Gambale etc. they depend on a strong bass and drum back beat. Thats when I want to feel the bass. I am pretty confident in the Rythimik offering this at a great price and that it will allow me to add that gain without getting boomy. I appreciate your enthusiasm in this Company. B)