FS: North Star Design Intenso DAC

This was bought new from former Polkie Skip a couple of years ago. It was the entry model of the North Star DACs ($1000 list) and was a big improvement over the Micromega Mydac which it replaced. It’s in as new condition with manual, USB cable and original double boxes.

Asking $650 shipped (CONUS) for established Polkies. Payment via PayPal friends and family preferred, but I’ll consider other methods. PM me with any questions.
yda8hqexk83v.jpeg
lpe3uahytsst.jpeg

Comments

• GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    North Star makes a solid DAC. Well built and sounds fantastic.
    I had the Intenso for about a month, then went up the NSD food chain

GLWTS!
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,138
    Love my North Star Dac, first class for sure.
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Another shout out for NSD. My Incanto is staying put. GLWS!
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,491
  • maxward
    One more bump. Price drop to $550 shipped for Polkies.
  • GlennDog
    Bump for a solid DAC . . . Impressive SQ at its price point (no affil, but I am a NSD fanboy)
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    I'm running one in my office rig and love it. I can use the computer to control sampling rates, etc. And thanks to @GlennDog I too am a NS fanboy!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • maxward
    Attention, fence-sitters: one more price drop. $500 shipped CONUS.
  • maxward
    New Year’s bump.
  • maxward
    Will consider offers for this.
  • maxward
    Friday bump. Price drop to $475 shipped CONUS.
  • maxward
    But wait, there’s more! I will include an 8/10 example of a Hafler IRIS FM tuner, shipped to the buyer.
    5yq8alp9eckn.jpeg
    cttkvm0qu6wm.jpeg
  • maxward
    Friday bump. Offers?
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    edited January 2022
    Bumping this thread and giving a HUGE shout-out to Mike. I've been very tempted by this since he posted it back in December. And, as surprised as I was that this didn't sell almost immediately, at his current offering (price and bonus), it's crazy this is still here.

Over the weekend, I almost caved, but reality set in and I exercised some restraint (something I seem to never be able to do) and did NOT pull the trigger. Life, savings, and time just make this purchase something I shouldn't do at this time!

Mike (not Max, BTW!) was kind enough to take the time to give me a call and and chat for a bit on Saturday, even after I made the decision to hold off. We discussed the benefits of a DAC, and where I might best reap said benefits in a couple setups I have. I learned a lot. At the end of our conversation, I was comfortable in holding off on this purchase, even though I may likely not see an opportunity like this any time soon! In true fashion of the members of this forum, Mike was a tremendous source of advice and kindness in helping me take the appropriate steps (when financially feasible!) towards incorporating a DAC.

Hoping someone on the forum pulls the trigger on this great deal. There are a lot of great folks on this forum, and @maxward is definitely high on that list!

• Chiming in to say the same as @scubalab , Mike sent me a very thoughtful message explaining his thoughts on the DAC. I really appreciated it, and if not for some unexpected expenses that came my way, probably would have bought this piece already.
  • maxward
    Thanks for the kind words, @scubalab and @CottageChz ! In talking to Al this weekend, it sounds like it was not a good idea to offer a free tuner with the North Star DAC. So I’m going to either keep or Karma the tuner and drop the price one more time prior to posting elsewhere. $400 shipped conus for the DAC only.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,179
    Heck. I’ll take it and give it a shot, see what it does vs the internal dac in my 851N
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • GlennDog
    stangman67 wrote: »
    Heck. I’ll take it and give it a shot, see what it does vs the internal dac in my 851N

I've not heard the 851. It gets lots of press. I'd be surprised if the NSD doesn't best it. Great engineering!
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • maxward
  • stangman67
    Mine!

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,021
    It would have been very hard to say no at $400. What a great deal!
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • maxward
    It was worth it to keep it here and to avoid running another ad. Thanks Zach and others here.
  • stangman67
    And thank you my friend for a great deal!

• stangman67
    edited February 2022
    What do we have here? It is gorgeous and very heavy for its size. It’s ruining the color coordination of my rack but I’ll survive lol

No listening impressions yet. Awaiting my audience digital coax cable and some furutech power plugs to build some power cables for this and a few other components

7zcbrxc9a5gp.jpeg
    csa71kfrgmoi.jpeg

• maxward
    FedEx was quick! My receipt predicted delivery on the 8th.
  • stangman67
    It initially was that and then it magically just appeared today!

• maxward
    Maybe using a wide Sharpie would help with the color coordination.
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,021
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Looks good!

No it doesn't. It looks terrible. He needs to go ahead and ship it me to appease the color scheme gods:D
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden