New Pre-Amp purchase advice

2»

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,964
    Honestly, there is so much great gear out there.... 1k buys alot of great gear. If a warranty meant that much to me I would just buy an aftermarket warranty.

- Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited November 2021
    Meltdown?

That wasn't even bead of condensation.

Cowgirls.

Okay, FIRST. You are in the WTB section. WANT TO BUY. So, I assume, as do others, that you are looking to see if someone here has something that they would sell. I don't think we have any dealers......so, if you put the crayons down for just a second, perhaps you might see where someone like me might have drawn the conclusion that you were looking to see if someone here on the forum might have a preamp that they would part with. Can you see my logic here? If I were looking for advice on a what is available on the new market, I might put a post in the 2CH or Electronics section.....hey, looking for a new, with warranty preamp etc etc etc.

Now, obviously the dots weren't connecting. Not a big deal and I really didn't think my response was any more snarky or assholish than yours.........but, YMMV. But, I did enjoy the further commentary......and see, this is what gets me about some of the window lickers around here. If, I make a less than coherent comment, I'm happy to clarify and offer a "sorry, my bad" but here is what I was trying to get across. Because sometimes I'm not nearly as eloquent as I think I am. .........However, if you want to exercise the ol' Dick-o-meter, I'm your huckleberry. My game is strong on that count....because ripping into the occasional buttmunch is one of life's true pleasures, plus, It's a slow morning and I don't have much to do other than prep for Thanksgiving.

Oh, and thanks for the Holiday Sales Forecast. I have sold the preamp, amp and even moved a pair of speakers in one fell swoop. But, thanks for the tip, anyway.

I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • I think the Freya is a good suggestion. It’s been on my own WTB list. Either the solid state or the one with the tube buffer.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • And the CJ amp as well,, Troy and his gear are top shelf. The last piece of new gear that I purchased was a Carver TFM 45 back in the nineties and Some Tyler speaks about 7 years ago,, I have never had any issues with buying used gear from anyone on this forum and I have bought quite a bit.Then there was the time I went on a SDA 1C binge,, but’s that’s another story,lol,, anyhow,, I hope the op finds a pre that is a destination piece,and a Happy Thanksgiving to all.
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,490
    @gp4jesus, in my opinion, the horse is still alive and kicking unless your friend has already made up his mind regarding the purchase of a new preamp. At the time I made my recommendation, it appeared that he had not yet done so. Carry on and have a great Thanksgiving!
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    edited November 2021
    I’m VERY sorry for failing to admit to my bruised ego & dumping nitro on the fire. From this moment forward I will point no more fingers or make excuses for my miscommunication or crotchety old **** disposition.

I’m delighted you sold items in addition to the Adcom. I wish you continued good fortune in the future and minimal stress over the Thanksgiving/Christmas season.

My friend is still shopping. On his behalf I thank everyone for their past and/or future input.

Tony
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • gp4jesus
    edited November 2021
    VR3 wrote: »
    Honestly, there is so much great gear out there.... 1k buys alot of great gear. If a warranty meant that much to me I would just buy an aftermarket warranty*.
    Great idea!*

I had never heard of a third party warranty for used gear until now. Most of my gear is used though I expect I can’t justify the cost.

The exceptions are: Outlaw pre/pro & CD changer from 1994 (still works) LCR through Polk’s refurb sales on their eBay store and my surrounds from a Polk certified thrift party vendor.

Thnx
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,490
    Once more into the fray. How about a NAD C 165BEE with a built-in MM/MC phono stage for $1099. MusicDirect has one with an open-box for under $1000.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • gp4jesus
    Maxward, Rooftop, & Kevhed:
    He is looking at these options.

Grateful your maintaining the Polkie friendly helpfulness😊
  • Gerres26
    Gerres26 Posts: 859
    The Freya doesn’t touch the GFP 750. Buy it and be happy...or go tubed pre and live with that. It takes a bit more money for ss to beat the 750. If your looking for a little tube lushness, then there are other options for sure. Nothing wrong with either approach. I’m too full of turkey and beer to help much more than this right now...maybe tomorrow I will reread this thread and offer better suggestions.
  • gp4jesus
    edited November 2021
    Gerres26 wrote: »
    The Freya doesn’t touch the GFP 750. Buy it and be happy...or go tubed pre and live with that. It takes a bit more money for ss to beat the 750.
    On behalf of my friend who, several days ago, said: “Thanks for the info, I want a warrant.,”

For those who missed it, Troy sold his 750. I thank you for the 3rd or 4th inferred or blatant reminder from the loyal fans of the Adcom GFP-750. Please save the “GFP-750 for some one shopping for used equipment. I hope we can once and for all “put this to bed.”

Thank you for past & future suggestions.

Merry Christmas. Tony
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,739
    edited January 2022
    Clipdat wrote: »
    He's looking for a preamp and you suggested an integrated that doesn't even have pre-outs.

Maybe cut back on the drunk posting.

Just curious, was that regarding the Marantz integrated?

If not my bad, but just noting it checks the boxes of the OP.
    gp4jesus wrote: »
    Primary interest: a TT input for low output MC cartridges. Other line inputs needed too.

a5hecy7lo4fp.jpg

• gp4jesus
    On behalf of my friend pre-amp shopping friend: he went w/ a NAD.

Everyone, thanks for your input.

Happy New Year!