New Pre-Amp purchase advice

Helping a friend* decide upon a new pre-amp purchase - current pre amp, a Meitner PA-6i is RIP. I thank you in advance the knowledgeable members of the Polk forum to offer good advice.
*he got me into this crazy hobby over 40 years ago!

Budget: Around $1K, give or take. He’s considering a new $700 Adcom GFP-815 but open to suggestions. Primary interest: a TT input for low output MC cartridges. Other line inputs needed too.

Remaining system components: Mission 775SM TT with Audioquest 404i cartridge, Krell KSA 100 MkII power amp driving Thiel CS 3.5’s.”

1000 thanks in advance, Tony
Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work

Comments

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    edited November 2021
    How about a modded Dared MC-7P? Has phono preamp & dual pre outs.

6tintalwy33r.jpg
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,490
    Will this handle the low-output of the Audioquest?^^^
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,965
    @TroyD has that adcom pre in the fs section
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    THE Adcom to own s the GFP 750.....at the price I’m dealing at, you can pick up a nice outboard phono stage and still come in under budget
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    On behalf of my friend, Me-da-WAH-see*.

He’s in the market for a new pre-amp. I asked for advice for the same.

Grazie - Italian for thank you.

*language of Ghana: “I thank you!”

Have a great Thanksgiving.
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • TroyD
    edited November 2021
    Well then you are in the wrong place......I took new as in “new to me”.......specificity and context are important
  • To the original poster,, seriously consider the Adcom that Troy has,,it is that good!
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,270
    edited November 2021
    To the original poster,, seriously consider the Adcom that Troy has,,it is that good!

That it is, I think it would be near impossible to find a new preamp that sounds as good at this price point.
  • ^^^^^^what he said^^^^^^
  • gp4jesus
    To the original poster,, seriously consider the Adcom that Troy has,,it is that good!

That it is, I think it would be near impossible to find a new preamp that sounds as good at this price point.[/quote]

Not my call but I’ll pass along your opinions.

• Yeah, just to clear, I would generally prefer “freshly manufactured,” if you like. I want to have a warranty. (I’m the “friend” Tony mentioned in his opening post. I’ve opened an account of my own.

Thanks!
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Eclexian wrote: »
    Yeah, just to clear, I would generally prefer “freshly manufactured,” if you like. I want to have a warranty. (I’m the “friend” Tony mentioned in his opening post. I’ve opened an account of my own.

Thanks!
    Welcome to Club Polk. I have 2 questions;
    1 - Is a remote a requirement?
    2 - Do you want a tubed pre or a SS pre?

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Thanks for asking, Tom. A remote would be very nice, but is not an absolute requirement; and preference is for solid-state over tubes.
  • maxward
    Solid state, with a remote and a warranty: Schiit Freya S for $599. Then add a phono stage of your choice. Troy’s Adcom if you can live without the warranty.
  • gp4jesus
    I’ve been a member of this forum about 13 years. This is first time in several years I’ve had to deal w/pettiness at this level. I’ve relied upon Polkie’s for sound advice on… sound for 13 years. I’m not criticizing the value of the sale item. Only the seller’s attitude.

Let’s re-visit the OP:

The words “new & advice” were in the subject line

In the OP body…
    [I was] Helping a friend” decide upon a new* pre-amp purchase…
    (there is that* word again)

I thank you in advance the knowledgeable members of the Polk forum to offer good advice*. (there is that* word again)

Budget: Around $1K, give or take. He’s considering a new* $700 Adcom GFP-815… (there is that* word again)

New appeared 3 times, advice appeared twice - who’s the villain Troy?
    TroyD wrote: »
    Well then you are in the wrong place....
    wrong place for advice?! Is this the Polk Forum or Troy’s Forum?
    I took new as in “new to me”.......
    your fault for not asking for clarification.
    specificity and context are important
    so is reading carefully before going off half cocked.

GLWTS Troy. From the others that chimed in, I have no doubt someone will get a great deal

Have a great Thanksgiving & Christmas
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    I'm an idiot.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • audioluvr
    Nightfall wrote: »
    I'm an idiot.

Don't beat yourself up. We all knew that but didn't have the heart to tell you. :D
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • audioluvr
    Well I suppose I'll admit that too. On a happier note, how about this one?

https://www.marantz.com/en-us/product/amplifiers/pm6007
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• maxward wrote: »
    Solid state, with a remote and a warranty: Schiit Freya S for $599. Then add a phono stage of your choice. Troy’s Adcom if you can live without the warranty.

Was that comment really necessary?
  • TroyD
    edited November 2021
    Look man, 93.2% of the gear that is discussed, recommended and circulated around here is used. Previously titled. Already enjoyed and out of warranty. So “new” doesn’t automatically equate to factory fresh. So, yeah, the question is a easily misunderstood. My point being, if you have specific parameters.....spell them out. I didn’t really mean anything assholish by the comment but if it put your bloomers in a bunch, by all means.....pound sand and kick rocks. I’m losing .03 seconds over it.
  • maxward
    edited November 2021
    Not worth it…
    Post edited by maxward on
  • gp4jesus
    maxward wrote: »
    …Troy’s Adcom if you can live without the warranty.

Was that comment really necessary?
    Maxward thought so.

My friend’s warranty requirement is clear. He intimated to me by text: his NEW pre-amp must check the “warranty” box.

Maxward must like to beat a dead horse.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    What was the issue with his comment? He suggested new gear, and used gear.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • gp4jesus
    edited November 2021
    Look man, 93.2% of the gear that is discussed, recommended and circulated around here is used. Previously titled. Already enjoyed and out of warranty. So “new” doesn’t automatically equate to factory fresh. So, yeah, the question is a easily misunderstood. My point being, if you have specific parameters.....spell them out. I didn’t really mean anything assholish by the comment but if it put your bloomers in a bunch, by all means.....pound sand and kick rocks. I’m losing .03 seconds over it.
    You could have & should have “walked” away. Instead…

93.2%?! Are you the Forum advice & sales statistician?

Are you also the Forum “Advice” rule maker?
    “Rule 1. When asking for advice, you must say…”

Or did someone die and leave you in charge of statistics and advice rules?

Again “Advice was in the subject line and the MSG body as “good advice. “Advice” was in my POLITE follow up:

“On behalf of my friend, Me-da-WAH-see*.

He’s in the market for a new pre-amp. I asked for advice for the same.

Grazie - Italian for thank you.

*language of Ghana: “I thank you!”

Have a great Thanksgiving.”

Then you had your meltdown. I did not so much as hint he might be interested in your Adcom, just advice. You assumed, then took it personally. Own up to it and move on.

The others confirmed it a great deal. You’ll sell it. Just not on your schedule. Christmas is too close for most people.

Take it easy. GLWTS

Have a great Thanksgiving and a better Christmas.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    edited November 2021
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    4c2tqmjbuucg.jpg
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    For what it's worth, this is the internet in case some forgot and at times we lose the meaning behind comments. Troy, if anyone ever got a chance to know him and his posting style, doesn't do as shole responses and especially for no reason.

Just sayin....
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's