PolkFest Reserve Deal—EXTENDED For Forum Members

Comments

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,306
    edited November 2021
    *operator error. no worries. not like I do anything important for real work.
    Post edited by msg on
    I disabled signatures.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    edited November 2021
    Oh.
    Piano.
    Yes, they do piano quite nicely.
    Not quite the weight/scale of an actual, in the room piano, but not tinkly nor rolled-off sounding either.
    Not to go all Cliff Claven ;) but... the pianoforte, it will be recalled, is a percussion instrument.

I listened to a remarkable live to analog tape recording of Tori Amos solo doing Marianne on the above mentioned WXRV-FM "Live from the River Music Hall, Vol. 1" sampler ( via CD). She is a pretty outrageous pianist, not afraid to pound the keys, and she has a weird, wistful voice and style as a singer. The song makes my spine melt, and on the R200s, it sounded great whilst melting my spine.

Can't find the WXRV performance, but here's a live recording from the same timeframe (1996) from the legendary WHFS in Bethesda, MD that kinda, sorta gives a sense of it.

https://youtu.be/SVoaKTATMEA

• sgmsmg
    sgmsmg Posts: 542
    Cliff Claven :D
    2 Channel
    Pre:Bryston BP173
    Amp:Bryston 14B3
    Speakers: Golden Ear Triton Reference
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Bryston BDA-3, Bryston BDP-3, Bryston BCD-3, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 Speaker, Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 XLR, AQ Diamond USB/HDMI
    Power: PS Audio P10 Regenerator, AC12, AC10 and AC5 Cables
    Display: Sony XBR65Z9F

Home Theater
    Pre: Anthem AVM90/JBL SDP-55
    Amps: Parasound A31, A51x2
    Speakers: Polk LSiM 707 (FL/FR), Polk LSiM706 (Center), LSiM 703 (SL/SR/SBL/SBR), Polk 900-LS (Atmos)
    Subwoofers: SVS SB16 x 4
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: AQ Meteor/Rocket 88, AQ Niagara/Sky
    Power: Torus AVR20, Shunyata Denali, Shunyata Delta, Cullen, PangeaAC9SE Cables
    Display: Sony XBR85Z9G
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    sgmsmg wrote: »
    Cliff Claven :D

That describes him to a T. :)
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • ALL212
    ALL212 Posts: 1,553
    edited November 2021
    msg wrote: »

*Most profound. Very well said. I disagree a bit but your thoughts are yours to voice.
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    I’m Down to the wire

R500 or r200 but you’d need stands... argh
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,964
    Buy both and stack r200 upside down
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    VR3 wrote: »

I know it was a joke

LOL..I don't think this would Joseph D'Appolito approved
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,050
    Apparently Polk has a warehouse in Olive Branch Mississippi, that's where my R200's are coming from. I didn't know that.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    I was surprised too.

Olive Branch is a suburban part of the Memphis area and only a few miles away from the massive global FedEx hub there. Great location for order fulfillment. In my experience it took as long to get moving into the system as it did for FedEx to transport them to the East coast. Only two days for each part, which is remarkable these days.

The location shift could have something to do with West coast backups and storage logjams I guess.
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,163
    edited November 2021
    So, it turns out the R200 are a pretty close replacement (but big improvement) for my old Mirage M290. I was looking back on specs in the brochure and the Mirage were also just 86dB efficient, but slightly easier to drive because they are 6ohm nominal. I didn't hear much difference in volume for a given setting on the receiver, so that makes it even more seamless on the swap. Nobody in the family noticed a thing last night. So far, it seems the old Denon workhorse can push these without strain (just using 2-channels of the 7). I will eventually make an upgrade to that, but probably not until sometime next year. I've got my eyes on an Arcam SR250 or something similar which could allow a 4k upgrade and bring in some modern features.

I did notice a much more substantial low bass output from the R200 though. It is enough to rattle stuff on the shelves (previously mentioned nick-knacks). Unfortunately, the old Denon has a glitch that won't let me into the setup menu so I have to run everything at factory default settings, which means the R200 are getting Full range sent to them. The subwoofer (an old Energy S10.2) doesn't really even add much for music. It mostly only sees the LFE track in the Dolby/DTS soundtracks.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • Emlyn
    I'm finding the Reserve series easy to drive from a good receiver in the Marantz 70xx range. The efficiency ratings don't seem to present a problem that can't be addressed in speaker settings menus.

I'm thinking of running the R600s in place of the L800s in the next few weeks to see how they perform on a high powered system.
  • mhardy6647
    edited November 2021
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    VR3 wrote: »

I know it was a joke

LOL..I don't think this would Joseph D'Appolito approved

Hey, it worked with the OLAs. B)

mghmesw0dmsw.jpg
    j0pigfs0lf4v.jpg

s0jx27d5zxr0.png
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    It works with Dahlquist DQ-10’s and many others as well
  • dromunds
    Just got an email stating that my R200’s just shipped out of Memphis. Now, that’s fast, arriving tomorrow.
  • mhardy6647
    dromunds wrote: »
    It works with Dahlquist DQ-10’s and many others as well

Dunno about DQ10s -- but it was certainly a thing with the loudspeakers whose design (aesthetics, that is) Jon Dahlquist (and/or Saul Marantz) copied, i.e., the original Quad "ESL-57" electrostatic.

http://www.quadesl.org/index.php/hard-core/stacked-quads

Most famous, of course, was the Mark Levinson "HQD". B)

2mowa0scc9fl.png
    6cv6mkvifhg0.png

A little pricier than stackin' a two sets of garage sale OLAs ;)

• mhardy6647
    edited November 2021
    Bonus points if you know, without lookin' it up on teh interwebz :#, what the acronym (!) QUAD means and to what component it was originally applied by Peter Walker (whose company for a long time was offically named "The Acoustical Manufacturing Co., Ltd.").

yjoys1x7z82i.png

fc3q9oqysiyt.png
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited November 2021
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Bonus points if you know, without lookin' it up on teh interwebz :#, what the acronym (!) QUAD means and to what component it was originally applied by Peter Walker (whose company for a long time was offically named "The Acoustical Manufacturing Co., Ltd.").

yjoys1x7z82i.png

fc3q9oqysiyt.png

quality unit acoustical device

wanna say it was the amp....303 maybe? My memory isn't what it used to be

I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • Looks like a B77 hiding in the closet.

mrqq3og8h064.png
  • msg
    Cool workspace! You got some neat toys in there. I see a cool TEAC, a Schiity piece, annnd one of the best keyboards ever made.
    JayMX wrote: »
    Dang! Might as well have been Amazon Prime. Ordered Monday, arrived today from CA! 😁

Initial impressions in less-than-ideal conditions, nearfield on my little Teac A-H500 integrated - clarity is off the charts! Can’t wait to get them home and put them on nicer gear!
    a4tmsoejt5no.png

I disabled signatures.
  • mhardy6647
    edited November 2021
    TroyD wrote: »

yjoys1x7z82i.png

fc3q9oqysiyt.png

close :) It was the QUAD 1 (still held in high regard in certain circles -- well, at least the QUAD II amp is!): Quality Unit Amplifier Domestic :)
    (I looked it up :blush: -- but just to double check myself B) )

zoq1sd9lrxxt.png
  • Emlyn
    I'm guessing JayMX is working on a nuclear fusion power plant project.

:)
  • JayMX
    JayMX Posts: 434
    Emlyn wrote: »
    I'm guessing JayMX is working on a nuclear fusion power plant project.

:)

Close, but not that cool. It's just a new little 26 story hotel in downtown Salt Lake City... :smile:
    Current Collection: Monitor 4a (Peerless), Monitor 5B (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7b (Peerless), RTA15TL (SL3000), SDA CRS+ (194’s), SDA SRS 2.3TL, R100's, R200’s, R300 🤩
    Pairs that have passed through: Monitor 4b (Peerless), Monitor 5a (Peerless), Monitor 5b (SL1000), Monitor 5b (SL2000) (3x pair), Monitor 7b (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7c’s (194’s), Monitor 10a (Peerless), Monitor 10b (5x pair), RTA8, RTA8TL, RTA 11T, RTA12c (194's), SDA CRS, SDA 2 (2x pair), SDA 2a, SDA 2b, SDA 1b, SDA 1c, SDA SRS 2 (2x pair), SDA SRS 3.1TL (198’s) (2x pair)...and more to come, it’s a sickness.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    TroyD wrote: »

yjoys1x7z82i.png

fc3q9oqysiyt.png

close :) It was the QUAD 1 (still held in high regard in certain circles -- well, at least the QUAD II amp is!): Quality Unit Amplifier Domestic :)
    (I looked it up :blush: -- but just to double check myself B) )

zoq1sd9lrxxt.png

I was visiting Beardog (RIP) and we decided to check out The Analog Room in San Jose one afternoon. In one room a group of us were listening to some high end speakers driven by a pair of the Quad II. The sound wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either. In walks one of their regulars who says he has a pair of old, IIRC Heathkit mono blocks that he just finished modifying and did we want to hook them up? Hell yeah! They looked like nothing special as Heathkit amps do. Hooked them up and everyone's jaws dropped. Quad got schooled.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• dromunds
    My Heathkit monoblocks rule. Peerless iron.
  • msg
    lol, "kept asking and got mom and her brother involved too"
    Probably had no sense of what goes on between spouses in such purchases, haha
    I disabled signatures.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,050
    Mine came yesterday, SUPER fast shipping. 3 days. The spare RD0-194's I just purchased took 2 weeks...lol. I hope these live up to the hype. I am always a bit skeptical when 'everyone" has such high praise with little to no downside. But I trust the Polkies that have chimed in.

But, it was a great deal I couldn't pass up.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!