Carolina Polkfest Vol. 5 - Oct. 22-24 2021 North Charleston SC

Comments

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    vjck0xljfkl7.png
    Speaking if Navy _Goat....He be da dude on da Left. Great guy. Well, hmi and Randy both were. It was very nice to have met them and it was great that they came.They seemed to fit right on in with the rest of us. I never did get the chance to tell you in person, "Thank you for your service!"

They sure did have some ship stories to tell us...and they came out alive. I would have been insane if I had to go through what they both did when that virus first hit. Holy Moly.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    @Navy_Goat ....how about your place, weekend after next? I can round up a crowd. 😂

Hey, it would be awesome to post some of the demo tracks we listened to. I was to inebriated to remember much less make notes..
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • treitz3
    Hmmm, I would have to read up more on that "Lightning" app. I may be able to print out a list or make a screenshot of everything that was played on it. Otherwise, we will have to collect all of the tunes manually. Good idea though. Plenty of new music was played all weekend long.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    I see many familiar faces and some unfamiliar ones too. Damn...It was going to be death or illness to keep me away...oh well...I'm posting, so thankfully it was the later. I guess Troy and Wendi will just have to put up with us the next time we make the trek (soon) down I-26 sans PolkFest. Looks like a great time was had by all...and with such great hosts it could be nothing less.

I know what happens at PolkFest stays at PolkFest but it is my duty to post some of the prior Charleston photos to commemorate past GREAT times.

r7dre5d5si75.jpg

iom8p8a41p9t.jpg

egj7583p6wka.jpg

f10689mitwwy.jpg

rpsy5ebooase.jpg

n7bo6jh9fzpq.jpg

oyoqrexn9v64.jpg

"Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • Navy_Goat
    Navy_Goat Posts: 375
    edited October 2021
    As mentioned above I am adding a list of the songs I remember playing at some point during the two days.

Big Daddy Wilson: Drop Down Here - Live In Luxemburg
    Mark Knopfler: The Ragpickers Dream - The Ragpickers Dream, Broken Bones - Tracker
    Dave Brubeck: Take Five - Time Out
    Melody Gardot: Les Etoiles - My One and Only Thrill
    Dire Straits: Six Bladed Knife - Dire Straits
    Pink Floyd: Welcome to the Machine - Wish You Were Here
    Holly Cole: Train Song - The Best of Holly Cole
    Jesse Cook: I put a spell on you - Blue Guitar Sessions, Byzantium Underground - The Ultimate Jesse Cook
    Eagles: Hotel California - Live From The Forum
    Jeff Goldblum & The Mildred S Orchestra: Me and My Shadow
    Lorde: Oceanic Feeling - Solar Power
    Shpongle: Botanical Dimension>Outer Shpongolia>Levitation Nation>Periscopes of Consciousness>Schmalts Herring>Nothing Lasts - Nothin Lasts... But Nothing is Lost
    Sasha: Late Night Tales Presents (I played from 10-30 minutes in this continuous mix, house music)
    The Decemberists: Prelude>Hazards of Love 1>A Bower Scene>Wont Want For Love>The Hazards of Love 2 - Hazards of Love
    Phish: Bouncing Around the Room - A Live One
    Thievery Corperation: Lebanese Blonde - It Takes a Thief, Saudade - Saudade, Samba Tranquille - The Mirror Conspiracy
    Taj Mahal: Diving Duck Blues - TajMo
    Greg Brown: Mose Allison Played Here - Slant 6 Mind

Others that attended... post 'em up!

SDA SRS 2.3tl, SDA 1C, SDA 2B (TL mod), Reserve 200
  • Navy_Goat
    Navy_Goat Posts: 375
    TroyD wrote: »
    @Navy_Goat ....how about your place, weekend after next? I can round up a crowd. 😂
    I bet you can. Let me get out of Navy Housing and settled down and I would love to do something like this. Not sure my wife would be as enthusiastic, and everyone would have to give 250lbs worth of Mastiff plenty of room for the first day, but whats the worst that could happen???
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Speaking of Navy _Goat....He be da dude on da Left.
    Tom
    Tom, Great to meet you too. I appreciate you all making us feel right at home.
  • TroyD
    Jesus @shack

This confirms we have not made a SINGLE change to our decor in 15 years. Sheesh.
  • Micah Cohen
    Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
    But look at the classic logo on that banner!

Wow.

Micah

ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
  • TroyD
    edited October 2021
    I KNOW.

I'm sure I gave that banner away and REALLY wish that I hadn't.

I was looking for it last week but I must have given it away with the others. The Polk/Momo logo was the absolute worst....
  • TroyD
    Some shots of Carolina PF's of yore....7ncsdkzmg10b.jpg
    6163trw22h80.jpg
    7csy0cibjii8.jpg
    pua2tsx6ufb5.jpg
    5jpbye9u74j5.jpg
  • TroyD
    I'm still in awe of F1Nut's hair.

Cat 5 Hurricane wind resistant....
  • treitz3
    Trey (in this photo) looks familiar to someone we all know...Lawd only knows what he is praying for.
    vt4zi0az1fnc.png
    ykdm207dglyr.png

Tom

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,968
    Ayyeee carumba
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,500
    It was awesome being back at a Polkfest. Some new folks, great to see some old friends. It's NEVER a bad stop at Casa de Troy.

I've backed away from the audio hobby as of late.....lots of new hobbies.....music (I have 10 basses and 2 drumsets, and more PA gear than I know what to do with.....thankfully I occasionally make a little money off it....emphasis on little), and Autocross (make 0 money, basically race for pride).

In recent years I had a weird impression that after the corporate buyouts, Polk really wasn't worth following anymore...................and holy **** was I WRONG!!!!.

The L800's both looked and sounded stunning. SDA fanboys have been bitching for decades to bring SDA back, and man did they ever. Crystal clear spot on highs.......detailed.......and the bass? big, deep, but doesnt swallow the rest of it.....they NEVER sound like they are even trying. 0 effort. The soundstage? immense. We've demoed their flagship products before, this was probably the first time no one had a single gripe.......nothing at all.

R200's - as impressive as the l800's are, these, at least to me, were the stars of the show. Ever so reasonably priced and had all the old guard there staring at them in confusion. They just filled the entire room the way you'd never imagine a bookshelf could. Any other demo you'd switch to the bookshelves and just due to physics you'd listen and say "yep, they're bookshelves" NOT THESE. you could walk in with them going and not have a single clue that the only speaker running was the bookies unless we told you. They dig down so frikkin deep (but not fake or flabby) it boggles the mind. I have them home now, running on a rig I cobbled together with half the cables being utter garbage and they still sound resplendent. If you get them (and dude, you should), get TALL stands and spread em out a bit, they like it high and wide.
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • TroyD
    ohskigod wrote: »
    spread em out a bit, they like it high and wide.

That's what SHE said....

*ba-dump....CHHHHH*

Thank you, thank you....I'll be here all week! Try the veal and be sure to tip your servers and bartenders!

• ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,500
    spread em out a bit, they like it high and wide.

That's what SHE said....

*ba-dump....CHHHHH*

Thank you, thank you....I'll be here all week! Try the veal and be sure to tip your servers and bartenders!

I left that very easy door open for someone to walk through, I like to make things as easy as possible...lol
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    but NOTHING like Trey telling me he was 32 and had a kid. It was like being hit with a baseball bat.
    Try doing they daddy thing at 56.... :o

The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • TroyD
    Somebody asked about @Micah Cohen as I don't think he is in any of the pictures......Wendi got one on her phone. You'll have to imagine the arse-less leather chaps...

hce8qdt7ucdt.jpg
  • TroyD
    ...and Blast from PolkFest past......2009, here are the Carver Amazing Plats (the ones I have now) about an hour before I absolutely SCORCHED a ribbon.

It was glorious, I assure you, right up until it caught fire.

amux14jv5e37.jpg

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Not sure to laugh :D , like B) , or cry :'(
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    It was glorious, I assure you, right up until it caught fire.

Prolly why Trey was praying 🙏
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • TroyD
    Eh, alls well that ends well....they are glorious now. It only took decade.....
  • treitz3
    Appears a great time was had by all,,Tom and tubes,, the stories I could tell you with his Anthem Amp one. :)
    Oh, jeez. I forgot about that. Seems things never change. Last year, it was the Canary pre-amp. DOH!
    Some things never change.

Tom
  • treitz3
    Ha! And then there is the Dodd....and the Radii.....and the other Anthem1......and now the Carver "mountain special" amps we built up on the mountain with the man...

Why I put up with y'all and tubes is beyond me. That's all I have to say about THAT!

Tom
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    What happens on the mountain STAYS on the mountain!!
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • treitz3
    Hell no! I took that amp with me. It sounded too good to leave up there on the mountain. Now the buried tubes on the mountain stayed but I can't talk about that.

Tom
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    This was awesome to read.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Joey_V wrote: »
    This was awesome to read.

I can assure you, it was a blast! Already looking forward to next time, although I am always looking for any excuse for a good roadtrip.