Carolina Polkfest Vol. 5 - Oct. 22-24 2021 North Charleston SC

Comments

• Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,192
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    w2bcgalpfrqv.png

Good thing those aren't ported. He must really like them!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    VR3 wrote: »
    Is broke Jesse!

You shouldn't have let Tom near it. What's broken?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    That cable stretched across the room is messing up the acoustics of that space...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    That cable stretched across the room is messing up the acoustics of that space...

I thought they were fixin' to start jump roping
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    F1nut wrote: »
    5ouer3jbcmx0.jpg

I recognize that CDP :)
    F1nut wrote: »
    5ouer3jbcmx0.jpg

I recognize that CDP :)

2 channels, best I can do…
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Hermitism needs to know for Halloween 2022 ..."The Insurrection"
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,192
    edited October 2021
    I just made one of Tom where he's looking down. I swore I was done for this year!
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    Looks like an amazing time!. I need to make the next one.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,739
    Wow, looks like a great time, very cool this all came together.
  • JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,474
    edited October 2021
    Looks like an awesome time, Troy. Glad you had a good turnout and I'm looking forward to your additional impressions. Pleased to read you're digging the latest Polk offerings. I was really impressed with the L200's during the forum demo.
    TroyD wrote: »
    I’m getting some L800 love!
    The rubber feet are spongy...remove them and use the spikes if you can. For the short time you have with them I can confidently say you're missing the last bit of goodness. The bass and mids really tightened up on mine.
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Tom, thanks for the rundown. I'm thinking there's a half bad connection somewhere, possibly that loose cap you mentioned.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• TroyD
    edited October 2021
    verb wrote: »
    Wow! Everyone reading this thread (including myself) were wishing they were there! Looks like it was a fantastic time!

My thanks go to the attendees. Really. TLW and I LOVE PolkFest.....but, the real thanks go to the people who come and support it because it IS a commitment of time (and money) to attend and both of those things don't grow on trees...so those that choose to expend those precious resources to spend time with us....sharing in what we love.....means more to TLW and I more than you could possibly imagine. @Navy_Goat and Randy ....guys I've never met, drives all the way down to SC from MD. He doesn't know what he's getting into....and I feel like I've gained a lifelong friend. How farkin cool is that? M

PolkFest is an amazing, homegrown, grassroots event like no other. It's not a corporate sponsored thing. It's about the forum, it's membership and the one thing that we all have in common, music, audio and Polk. And, really, what is better than sitting down, listening to music, having a beer (or a some homemade moonshine, right @treitz3 ?), shooting the breeze, talking audio and everything else over some steak and lobster and bbq and homemade banana pudding?

So, for those saying, man, sounds like a great time, wish I could have been there......next year, BE THERE! You will LOVE it. You will make friends and memories that will last you a lifetime. THIS is what social media SHOULD be. I'm not bagging folks for not coming, that's not my intention, life happens and I TOTALLY get it (that's why there has been no PolkFest for almost a decade).....but, be a part of it next year.

PolkFest 2022 is a thing. October 2022. Start thinking about it now.

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,476
    Excellent post Troy!!
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    Appears a great time was had by all,,Tom and tubes,, the stories I could tell you with his Anthem Amp one. :)
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • TroyD
    edited October 2021
    The Hobbit Pimp LIVES!!!

YES!!

Believe me, folks, when I say a couple of things. One, I take it as a great compliment that Micah came for all the aforementioned reasons. I am, no joke, honored.

YES. I expressed in my email that I felt that in past few years....that Polk had somewhat lost it's mojo for me. Nothing bad but nothing that excited me and it had become, well, corporate. Much of the allure of Polk Audio was the people behind it. Genuine people. Nuts about audio. True believers in their respective crafts. I remember reaching out to Micah, oh, 2001ish....pre PolkFest era and saying that we'd be breezing through Bawlmer and perhaps we could stop by 5601 Metro Drive and introduce ourselves?

Micah was genuinely perplexed as to why. It's a cubicle farm. We work here. Why would anyone want to visit? We did and he was a gracious host and it was awesome. People. That's why.

Now, I think, perhaps Sound United may be swinging back the pendulum? We shall see but I think that is at least on the radar.....perhaps. BUT they HAVE, IMO, succeeded, in spades.....fulfilling the idea and intent of Polk Audio. Great sounding speakers and real world prices. No BS. I think that what I heard this weekend is fantastic.

Back to the people though. Amazing....and that's what's great about this hobby in general and Polk Audio in specific.

Polk Audio. With the heart over the "I" is what it was then....and I think it should remain that way now.
  • Yummy, I see some shine.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • Navy_Goat
    Navy_Goat Posts: 375
    edited October 2021
    Where do I even start......

@TroyD Thanks to you and Wendi for the hospitality! The food was great, the tunes were great, you assembled a great cast and crew for an event like this, but the secret sauce was your effortless generosity. You invited a complete stranger to your house without a second thought. Not only that, but you didn't hesitate when I asked to bring someone who wasn't even active here of the forum. You fed us but more importantly you ;made sure we felt welcome from the the first minute. Until next time, you have my thanks. We both enjoyed the weekend immensely.

To the rest of the folks that made the weekend special, thank you for welcoming me into the group. Music really can bring people together. On that note the music was awesome! I will add a post below with a list of the tracks that I played on the off chance that others were intrigued by any of them, more on that later this evening. Lou, I am listening to some Takuya Kuroda right now.

I really enjoyed the conversations. Trey, I appreciate you taking the time to explain your thoughts about crossover work and other related topics. I will be trying some of the suggestions you passed along for sure.

I hope to see you all again at some time for sure.

-Caleb
    Post edited by Navy_Goat on
    SDA SRS 2.3tl, SDA 1C, SDA 2B (TL mod), Reserve 200