SDA 2B Studio Woodgrain Vinyl

Options
joebass3
joebass3 Posts: 253
edited September 2021 in Vintage Speakers
Just picked up these speakers and assumed they were 2A's because they were woodgrain vinyl and had the old cabinet design. I always thought the 2B studio model only came in black vinyl. Looking at the Gimpod site it appears they came in woodgrain also. Who knew?? They looked like hell when I got them so I was originally thinking to strip them, but the more I clean them the better they look.

jk7yv5vm00wn.jpg

Post edited by joebass3 on

Comments

• la2vegas
    Options
    Those cleaned up rather nicely.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,850
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Exceptional job cleaning them up. Yes, the 2B Studio was available in oak vinyl, but most were black.

If you're looking for something that does an excellent job cleaning the grills, Resolve fabric cleaner is it.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• joebass3
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Exceptional job cleaning them up. Yes, the 2B Studio was available in oak vinyl, but most were black.

If you're looking for something that does an excellent job cleaning the grills, Resolve fabric cleaner is it.

Yeah the grills are rough. Lots of pilling and very dirty. I guess that's next.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,984
    Options
    Pull the mid-woofers and see what they are, and then look inside and see if each speaker has one crossover or two.
  • joebass3
    Options
    dromunds wrote: »
    Pull the mid-woofers and see what they are, and then look inside and see if each speaker has one crossover or two.

Yep looks like 2b's. 6503 and 6511 mid-woofers, one crossover, and pin/blade interconnect.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,624
    Options
    Glue up the drivers with some JB weld
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,073
    Options
    Dang! Want to come clean mine up? I know nothing about how to do that.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »
    Dang! Want to come clean mine up? I know nothing about how to do that.

Try original Windex and a lint free cloth
  • F1nut
    Options
    ^This^

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• joebass3
    edited September 2021
    Options
    I have them looking good so I guess the next order of business is getting them sounding good. It appears one of the stereo mid-woofers is not contributing any sound. I guess testing with an ohmeter first and then swapping left and right drivers would be the next step?
  • F1nut
    Options
    Check to see if the cone moves first. If so, then proceed as you described.

President of Club Polk

• joebass3
    edited September 2021
    Options
  • F1nut
    Options
    Does the cone move?

President of Club Polk

• joebass3
    edited September 2021
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Does the cone move?

Yes the cone moves freely with no scraping at all. Any hope or just look for a replacement?
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,398
    Options
    Tap a 9v battery +- to both leads. Does the woofer move at all?

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • gimpod
    gimpod Posts: 1,793
    Options
    Hi all, Yes I"m still kickin, On to the pic inside the red circle is that table top I see through what looks like a big hole in the cone or do I need to back off on the Valium.

ni7jt7r5hag8.jpg
    “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” ~ Mark Twain
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    Well hello ol'chap! How are you doing?

When I expand the picture I see cone, I see a glue ring on the paper.

😉😉
  • joebass3
    edited September 2021
    Options
    gimpod wrote: »
    Hi all, Yes I"m still kickin, On to the pic inside the red circle is that table top I see through what looks like a big hole in the cone or do I need to back off on the Valium.

Actually the speaker looks great and the cone moves freely. Just shows infinite on the ohmeter.

odv7jzfm8ozb.jpg

fovv1y2xd3sa.jpg

• pitdogg2
    Options
    luckily for you it is the MW6503 and not a MW6511.
  • F1nut
    Options
    Too much Valium, Tony....lol

President of Club Polk

• gimpod
    gimpod Posts: 1,793
    Options
    Glad to be wrong. Good luck on the great diver hunt. Keep in mind that Polk used MW6503's or MW6510's in the SDA 2B's so if run across a good pair of MW6510" grab them.

P.S. Don't mix them i.e. 1 MW6503 and 1 MW6510
    “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” ~ Mark Twain
  • joebass3
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Not sure what to do. I already own a set of 2b's (black studio) that are in good shape. This oak vinyl set was very rough and were given to me. I intended to part them out but they cleaned up really nicely and I've become somewhat attached. Ha! Spend 60 bucks on a driver then sell them, or part them out?
    Or....keep them and find a spot for them. :p
  • pitdogg2
    Options
  • vader540is
    Options
    I agree with pitdog

Back up/spare parts.