Panamax Max 5300 owners - opinions?

Under $100. Please, no grief over better units at 10X the $ - I’m retired.

opinions of its performance. Did you hear improved SQ or is it an overpriced power distribution strip?

Voltage regulation range? In one place I read until the voltage sags to 90 or exceeds 137, no regulation. In another, that range is close or equal to my APC H-15.

I’m spoiled by my APC H-15 w/102 minimum, ~132 max. At either extreme, “adjustment” circuitry kicks in to output 120VAC +/- 5%. It uses MOVs that wear out requiring replacement

Thanks in advance for reading this far.

Tony
Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work

Comments

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    I have Panamax units in each of my systems except my main 2ch. I can't say whether they do anything profound, but then it's been years since I've used standard power strips.

I don't know how much they do for "regulation". They're supposed to offer isolation, and they do offer switched ports and DC trigger, along with two ports for "high current". These are all things you don't really get with power distribution strips. For under $100, these features alone would make it worth the cost to me regardless of whether it made any visual or sonic improvements. Along those lines, though, I'm guessing nothing profound, though I'd have to pull all my stuff out and back on to plain old Amazon or similarly cheap power strips to test.

Are you planning to replace the APC with the Panamax, or is the Panamax for another system?

As for voltage regulation specs you listed for it, that's about what PS Audio's Dectet does, too. I was just reading that manual the other day, so it seems pretty standard range?

Sometimes my 5400 Panamax does trip at system startup with the DC trigger to power on my Parasound 2205 amp. It doesn't like the draw or something, so it'll shut the whole PDU down and restart. Sometimes we have power failures during storms.

So far, my stuff hasn't been damaged if I've not been home to unplug my systems before power comes back on.
    I disabled signatures.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    I have used them for years, I like them.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    I’m sorry I did not spell out several things in my original post:

1. The 5300 is used, in good working order, and I believe it compares to the APC’s level of protection* though I’m open to suggestions such as, for a few $ more a higher-end model (5400 or 5500) offers so-and-so benefit. Seller is upgrading
    2. Yes to replace the APC. I bought it used. 6 years of daily use and the MOVs. After I replace the MOVs** I’ll use it to protect a much smaller occasional use system.
    3. I’ve depended upon the APC to protect all my system’s low power-draw equipment - no amps or subs. I plan do the same w/the P’max.
    **I don’t know if the MOVs are bad or if replacement is possible.

PSA to all members: If a storm is pending or if I leave the house for more than 2 days, I unplug EVERYTHING to and from my system and so should you.

Thanks for your input my Brethren and in advance for any that follows.

Tony
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    What APC unit where you using?

The 5300 is a good unit but beware , they only have 10 outlets instead of 12 like the APC H J and S series do. I don't know what you where using.

As far as directly comparing them, they are close to each other. Both Brands make good quality Surge Protectors with MOV technology as the protection.

MOV's are not BAD per say but there is better protection out there from Surge X and Audioquest.
    The Audioquest units are stupid expensive , I know I own one. The Surge X units are nice but are a pain in the **** to get everything. You gotta build basically a Centipede of units. They have a Branch circuit that can go in line with your electrical Panel. It takes the in coming feed and add Surge Protection and Line conditioning. They have Non-sacrificial components where MOV's will blow and they the surge is dead and needs MOV's replaced as long as the rest of the surge is in proper condition.

Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,458
    Interesting topic, how would one know if MOV's are bad? I've had my APC H15 for about 10 years and haven't noticed any changes.
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • gp4jesus
    edited September 2021
    Sorry for my long windedness…
    smglbrth wrote: »
    how would one know if MOV's are bad?
    I think they open like a switch but I’ll bow to @mantis on that. I thought they “wear out.”
    smglbrth wrote: »
    I've had my APC H15 for about 10 years and haven't noticed any changes.
    That’s good to hear😊
    mantis wrote: »
    What APC unit were (are) you using?
    H15
    The 5300 is a good unit but beware , they only have 10 outlets instead of 12 …
    nuthin an add’l power strip or two can’t fix. Would either a 5400 or 5500 benefit me in some way?

I originally bought the H15 because my previous house (rental) has MAJOR electrical issues - may have been the grid.

The house toasted my previous Pre/pro’s digital PS twice. AFTER I ran a dedicated 20A, toasted it third time! That’s when I realized I needed to get serious about power conditioning/filtering. The H15 dropped into eBay below budget so I pounced!
    Both Brands make good quality Surge Protectors with MOV* technology as the protection.
    Ooooh…thanks for telling me that*. Even the newer upscale P’Maxs use MOVs? How about Furman?

Who does NOT use MOVs besides Surge X & Audioquest?
    They use Non-sacrificial components
    They “who” have non sacrificial components? Or did you cover that?

If all else fails I have an inexpensive standby while the other is on my bench. Also can’t I rack mount P’Maxs? Helpful for DJ work.

Polkie members are awesome!
    Post edited by gp4jesus on
  • Rich502
    Rich502 Posts: 146
    Is anyone familiar with the switching / triggers on Panamax units? I have two different models, both of which where the switching circuitry has stopped working.
  • I have had a Panamax in each of my systems throughout my home for years now, It all started with a buzzing sound I was getting from my livingroom system that was on the same circuit as the microwave in the kitchen. The second one was for my familyroom setup, which help my Vizio VM550 1080p flat screen from getting graying out pixels (full power outlet). That TV stills lives on at one of daughters home (going on 12 years old). I now use two Panamax M4300-PM's for computer systems, one for the server in the garage and another for my main rig that I use for editing 4k drone video. Over the last few years these power conditioners have earn their keep in my home since the local power company likes to shut down the power when winds reach above 30 mph (Fire safety they call it). The shut off it not bad/hard on a system, but the restart can send a surge through your home damaging your systems.
    Family Room HT 7.2/i]:Vizio Oled55h1 Pioneer Elite SC-LX502 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Eversolo DMP A6 Panamax M5300-EXSpeakers Fronts Fluance XF8L Center Polk Audio S35 Side Surrounds Optimus LS30's Rear Surrounds Optimus LS30's Subs SVS PB4000 x2 Living room 2ch: Crown Xli 1500 amp Teac EQ MKII FX Audio X6 Mk II DAC Squeezebox Touch Fluance Signature Tower Speakers Panamax M5100-EXOffice media room:Vizio M50Q6 50" Pioneer Elite VSX LX103 Squeezebox Touch Polkaudio R50 Towers Polkaudio CS 10 Panamax M4300 Monoprice 12" subMaster bedroom:Vizio M55Q7 Pioneer Elite VSX LX302 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Squeezebox Touch Polk audio RTi 6 fronts, Rears Dayton B652 Polk Audio CS10 center Monoprice 12" sub Panamax M5300-EX
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    There's always exceptions to the rule but most the time, if your area is fairly stable without many electrical outages, those MOV units can last a long time. Think of them like the old poly switches on speakers, they wear out the more they get tripped. Same with MOV's, the more they get tripped, the easier it gets to trip them, thus offering less and less protection in areas that see more than their share of outages.

That said, buying a used MOV unit without knowing it's history is shakey at best. Newer units, on the cheaper side, provide a good amount of protection but stop there. If you want to gain a quieter noise floor/better sound, your going to have to up the game a bit and move up the ladder. PS Audio units, even their overgrown power strips, can offer up protection and better sound for not alot of scratch. I still have a PS Audio Quintet in my system that has been rock solid for well over 7 years now.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • msg
    edited November 2021
    apologies, n/a
    Post edited by msg on
    I disabled signatures.
  • gp4jesus
    MOVs* tame spikes and brief surges, right? And if I under tonyb correctly, they* can “wear out.”

I’ve read in Panamax’s literature, If the line sags or peaks outside a certain range, it shuts down disconnects the connected devices. While that’s good, one should note when and how long it’s lasts. Further consider the possibility of damage to other unprotected stuff around your house.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    I have Panamax units in every room that has a TV the 5400's are in my main two systems, the one thing I can say they did that was very noticeable was a cleaner picture on the TV's, not sure if anyone else has experienced the same but I definitely did, that alone was enough for me to add them to every TV, and rid myself of those multi-outlet strips. this was many years ago, and I have never had an issue with any of them. I have an APC in my computer area..
  • msg
    I've experienced the clearer picture, as well, using the Panamax 5400. I have the 5400 in my main, 5300s elsewhere. (Side note, the second thing that improved picture quality further was a basic Audioquest Forest HDMI cable, one each for the TiVo and Roku.)
    I disabled signatures.