Liberty Audio B2B 100 amp review...over due.

Options
First off a big shout to johnny for such a great amp & a seamless transaction. I almost had to get my chain saw out to get the beast out.

The Liberty Audio B2B amp is definitely a force to be reckoned with. weighing in at 50lbs it falls into the category of "back breaker" however it does come with two rear handles which can help with the lifting. Still one heavy sucker though.

It comes with two settings that you can alternate with a flip of a switch...low bias & hi bias. For this review I only listened in hi bias which offers up more of its class A sweetness. I'll eventually listen in low bias for a comparison but that's for another day.

My first impressions of the amp was its ability to flush out all the minute musical details even at a low listening level. It has total command of the bass so much so that I had to recalibrate my dual subs to compensate. Once dialed in the result was incredible to say the least.

Vocals were presented with such a very natural, warm sound without acting like a tube amp that really made me sit back & take it all in. There was just a difference in a way the vocals projected into my room. Far exceeding my speaker boundaries. I was that much closer to the actual stage. The depth, width, height all took on a new room presence. Imaging was another wonderful experience, I could close my eyes & visualize the whole stage & placement of the performers to a tee. A magician at work.

The mid-range has a tonal clarity that is just so smooth & realistic. Everything just sounded so right. The top end has enough sparkle without ever thinking it sounded bright. Not even close. All in all the total package presented by the amp has really impressed me. My music has really taken on a whole new enjoyable experience.

I closing I have to give kudos to Peter Noerbaek the designer & owner of pbn audio for offering us mortals a sampling of his hi end line of 2 channel amps with his Liberty Audio line. He wanted to offer exceptional sounding solid state gear that you need not apply for a second mortgage. Mission accomplished!

However his other line of 2 channel amps: the EB-SA1, the EB-SA2 & the EB-SA3 are a whole different story. The EB-SA3 tops out at a a whopping 185lbs. Now that's a back breaker for sure no matter how many handles it may have.

"2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.

Comments

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    Options
    Congrats! Glad to hear you've found a keeper!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,598
    Options
    Nice mini review. Sounds like a real "music maker" in the truest sense of the phrase. Glad you're loving it.
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,909
    Options
    Sounds like you're very happy with it, congrats!
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • pearsall001
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Nice mini review. Sounds like a real "music maker" in the truest sense of the phrase. Glad you're loving it.

Absolutely!
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • TEAforONE
    TEAforONE Posts: 1,002
    Options
    Very nice review. Sounds like an end game piece. Congratulations!
    See my profile for list of gear.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Cool man, glad your diggin' it. If we may ask, what did it replace ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • pearsall001
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    Cool man, glad your diggin' it. If we may ask, what did it replace ?

Hey Tony,

I had 2 wonderful sounding amps that I could have easily lived with. Totally different pedigrees but really made you sit & listen.
    Parasound ZM 2350
    Consonance A100s

But the B2B 100 in hi bias really sealed the deal. Listening now as I type.

Stay safe & well my friend!
  • pearsall001
    Options
    A few picsfyf6rimyqhn8.jpg
    ihdrc3hkoneb.jpg
    e7q5zxtsdtwu.jpg
    of the bad boy half naked:
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,555
    Options
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,314
    Options
    Keep it powered on for 5 days straight. As it remains powered on, please tell us how it reacts (sound wise).

Congrat's on the acquisition.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • pearsall001
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Keep it powered on for 5 days straight. As it remains powered on, please tell us how it reacts (sound wise).

Congrat's on the acquisition.

Tom

Hmm...inquiring minds what to know. What is the strategy behind doing that?
    I'm open to giving it a shot but what are we looking for here.
    The only downside is in hi bias mode it gets rather warm, not hot just warm. Not really an issue with my size room.
  • treitz3
    Options
    MOSFETs

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • pearsall001
    Options
    I take it the longer then are powered on the better the sound is. How did you arrive at 5 days vs less or more? It sounds like you have done this before.
  • treitz3
    Options
    I have and 5 days is not the parameter I came up with. I just wanted you to observe for yourself what changes occurred (if any) within a 5 day period.

This, not being while doing chores around the house....I'm talking about listening in the sweet spot and recording the changes...as you hear them.

Tom
  • pearsall001
    Options
    I have and 5 days is not the parameter I came up with. I just wanted you to observe for yourself what changes occurred (if any) within a 5 day period.

This, not being while doing chores around the house....I'm talking about listening in the sweet spot and recording the changes...as you hear them.

Tom

Gotcha... sounds like a fun time to really get an honest feel of the amps potential. I've had it once since 2:00 & sat down around 7:00 to give it a listen. Sounds superb! Will keep you posted.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    Options
    What you really want is for all the guts to warm up to operating temperature. Probably after 3-4 hours of play time ( not low volume) you should be in the sweet spot. Depends on the equipment of course.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • treitz3
    Options
    Don't be surprised if it sounds worse tomorrow....don't change anything. Just let it play out and rock on...just sayin'.

It could sound fantastic. Every amp is different.

Tom
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,871
    Options
    drink one beer every 15 minutes.
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • pearsall001
    Options
    marvda1 wrote: »
    drink one beer every 15 minutes.

Been doing that since 7:00! 🍺🍺🍺 Too funny. And I ain't done yet 🤣
  • treitz3
    Options
    Well, for right now? I am looking for what your observations are....I am not interested in telling you what you should hear. Make sense?

Time will tell. You'll know when you hear it.

Tom

• pearsall001
    Options
    Well, for right now? I am looking for what your observations are....I am not interested in telling you what you should hear. Make sense?

Time will tell. You'll know when you hear it.

Tom

The amp is on (nice & toasty) & I'll be doing some listening over the next few days to see if I pick up any discernable difference in the sound quality. I'll be taking notes to record my findings.
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,000
    Options
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,598
    Options
    He's already got a killer tube pre though.
  • pearsall001
    Options
    jdjohn wrote: »

Man oh man I'll tell you what, if his pre sounds 1/2 as sweet as his amps do that is certainly one heck of a nice piece of gear. However I am still smitten with my Consonance Opera tube pre & am not currently in the market to change things up. Thanks for the heads up though.
  • pearsall001
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    He's already got a killer tube pre though.

Yes indeed & after uping the ante by adding the electro-harmonix 6H30Pi tubes with gold pins it's even sweeter sounding then before. Ain't going anywhere anytime soon 😃