Vincent PHO-8 MM / MC Phono Preamplifier

Options
anyone have any experience with this phono pre?
Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
Puritan PSM156

Comments

• aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,097
    edited September 2021
    Options
    marvda1 wrote: »
    anyone have any experience with this phono pre?

I've been tempted to add that Vincent PHO-8 to a second system with a TT. I saw the other day,
    there's a demo one on sale at Audio Advisor. I have an original Lounge LCR phono pre that does a
    good job for it's price point. Some other's here have said good things about Vincent phono amps.
    Post edited by aprazer402 on
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited September 2021
    Options
    I have had the PHO-8 for several years now. I think @ the time I bought mine these were like $399. I think they can be had new @ $249 now. It was well worth the $400 then.

Pretty darn good budget phono pre imo.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • guyincognito
    Options
    I had one for a bit and liked it when used with a Nagaoka mp-110 moving magnet cart. I gave it to a friend when I started going down the Rega MC cart path as it didn't pair well with the lower output Rega MC carts. The guy I gave it too loves it and has been using it for around 3 years now (using MM cartridges).
    Rega Planar 8, Apheta 3 MC , Aria mk2 Phono
    Aurender n100h, Benchmark DAC2 HGC
    Arcam SR250, Parasound JC5
    Revel F208, SVS SB-4000
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,453
    Options
    This was my first phono pre. Bought it on recommendation from good friend Derl @voltz

It does not disappoint with basic turntable setups. I've used it with Shure M97xE, Grado Prestige Green, and Ortofon Red carts so far on Technics SL1200/10 tables, and a Project Debut Carbon. Solid performance, smooth. Might need to step up depending on the quality of the cart and setup, I wouldn't know.

The PHO-8, Lounge LCR, and Park's Budgie are the three I've used. Wouldn't sell any of them.
    I disabled signatures.
  • BriggTrim
    Options
    Hi....In spite of the fact that I concur that the recurrence reaction isn't great, it isn't so awful by any stretch of the imagination. The spec is +-0.5dB, which implies a variety of 1dB between the most reduced and most noteworthy places of the diagram. In the event that you take a gander at the chart, except for a bit above around 18kHz, the recurrence reaction stays inside the 1dB window, simply not focused on 1kHz.

Considering the wide range of various gross blunders that vinyl playback is inclined to, I wouldn't be too disturbed with regards to that kind of variety in recurrence reaction, in spite of the fact that, as I said above, it could without much of a stretch be better. Commotion, over-burden edge and contortion are on the whole in any case great.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,577
    Options
    WOW I still do not know what you said......^^^^^^
  • TEAforONE
    TEAforONE Posts: 1,004
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Me,after BiggTrim's comments went flying over my head!
    fey7tjmypqsd.jpg
    See my profile for list of gear.
  • guyincognito
    Options
    d9geitqwr8ki.gif
    Revel F208, SVS SB-4000
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    Options
    Anyone notice that someone “agreed” with BriggTrim’s comment?

Who is this mystery interpreter? 😅😂🤣
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • guyincognito
    Options
    All the same, welcome to the forum BriggTrim.
    Revel F208, SVS SB-4000
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    Options
    ^^^^^ Copy that! @ guyincognito

Welcome BriggTrim!
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.