Coffee

Comments

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Nightfall wrote: »
    Do you guys think you could taste the difference using the same water the same grinder the same coffee beans between $100 drip and the $300 one

My hearing might be "F"ed up but my sense of taste is superb. So no... What makes the difference to me is the 150,000 year old glacial water that comes out of my 290 ft. deep well at 46 deg. F year around.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,474
    edited September 2021
    maxward wrote: »
    I use half and half most of the time, so I guess that disqualifies me as a coffee snob. Will have Americanos black sometimes. @JayCee , I like your Vivaldi II, it’s on my short list of machines to check out when the Breville goes belly up.

Thanks, the Vivaladi's been a really nice investment and worth consideration. Definitely no snob but appreciate a good cup. Not afraid of a standard cup 'o Joe when not at home.

My dad was in the Army and I was born in Italy, so thought it would be nice to have a true Italian machine...which was my starting point when researching. Also, during my travels to Italy, one of my best cups was in Florence. Other, was 100% Kona, in Kona, on a trip to the Hawaiian Islands.

Tried my hand at brewing beer many years ago and it's not a simple or easy hobby. Decided to attempt roasting on a whim and realized, literally, in less than 1/2 an hour I could have the freshest roast of any bean that strikes my interest...and fun to boot. I no longer buy roasted beans and pay, on average $5-6.50 for a lb of whatever's interesting.

Enter the Vivaldi. Used to have a Jura F5 when Costco sold them at a reasonable price (like audio, very subjective). Made an okay cup but I got to thinking...if I can roast and have it come out great, why not do the same making a cup. Lots of research and I concluded the LaSpaziale is the Polk of espresso machines. Although not cheap, great bang for buck. Same w/my grinder. I did my homework and didn't buy hype (big name) on either. As long as the shot's good you can make anyone a drink to their liking. I don't think you'd be disappointed with it. An FYI, people in the "biz" say spend the big bucks on an excellent grinder. It's more important to the quality of a shot than the machine.

I start my day w/2 good cups and I'm done. Sometimes, I'll have a third in the afternoon.

Kind of like audio...I have people shake their head when they see my audio hobby and same goes with coffee. I strive to please no one but myself...and the misses.
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,330
    edited September 2021
    We stayed at an Airbnb vacation house in Shenandoah VA and the owner had a Saeco Exprelia EVO that made superb espresso shots. It was hard to leave it behind and go back to our Mr. Coffee Cafe Barista. By the way, I can't complain about the Cafe Barista. It has had very heavy use since the pandemic and makes fairly good, though sometimes inconsistent, shots.

For beans, give North Bound Coffee a try.
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,588
    I used to use a Keureg . Buy pods when they were in sale to save money and tried not to spend over 35 cents a pod.
    Then I started Intermittent Fasting. 8/16 . Eating only between 11 am and 7 pm. And not eating anything but water for the other 16 hours. You can have black coffee or tea. No pleasure for me with only black coffee so I quit all caffeine too. In three or four months now it is so easy. I went from 230 pounds to 203 pounds. There are many other health benefits too. I will probably do this the rest of my life. Good luck with the quest for a good cup of Joe. Love yours. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    I feel like troglodyte.

I have one of these:
    spin_prod_1156988412?hei=1000&wid=1000&op_sharpen=1

That I use to heat up one of these:
    s-l640.jpg

That's filled with whole bean 100% Kona I get straight from the plantation:
    efdk_4.jpg

That I grind up with one of these:
    cuisinart-supreme-grind-automatic-burr-mill-grinder-hero-new-z.jpg?resizeid=102&resizeh=960&resizew=960

That's it.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,490
    With regard to the question of tasting the difference, here’s what we did when we got our Moccamaster to replace our very old Braun. I made a small pot in each with the same beans and had our son bring my wife and I two cups to taste blind. We both preferred the coffee from the old Braun right off the bat. I think that it was because we were so familiar with that flavor. The Braun is our backup and we take it with us whenever we know there won’t be a coffee pot where we’re going.
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    We use a Cuisinart CPO 850. Its the Pour-over coffee maker. We use a metal filter and get our coffee from a local shop called Bridgehead. Excellent coffee beans from them.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    I dunno, most better 100-150 buck makers have spray heads to saturate the beans. I think only the cheapo ones like Mr. Coffee still drip it in the middle.

Brew Temp was one of the things I liked about my old Kitchen aid maker. My Cuisinart one now has the insulated pot which I can't stand. Doesn't brew the coffee hot enough and doesn't keep it hot for any length of time. Also amount of cups brewed is an issue for me. a 12 CUP POT is just on the border of making it, 14 cup would be more ideal. Lots of these higher end machines only do 10 cup, which is kinda a deal killer for me.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,021
    I used to buys beans and grind. I had what I thought was a nice Bunn maker, but I’ve retired it for the convenience of a Kuerig.
    So yeah…asshats
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    edited September 2021
    lightman1 wrote: »
    Deathwish pods through a keurig thingy. I'm not gonna take a half an hour to brew a cup of coffee. Asshats...

You're not allowed to borrow my stove top percolator when your pod people thingy breaks.

Meany.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    tonyb wrote: »
    Lots of these higher end machines only do 10 cup, which is kinda a deal killer for me.

I personally wasn't too fond of a lower "cup" amount but I always keep my coffee in a Yeti 30oz travel mug, so I just adjusted the amount I make to exactly that. 26 ounces water, 8.45 seconds of grind (3.5 2oz scoops), one ice cube, level spoonful of Truvia (to cut down on the sugar) and a little bit of Hazelnut coffee creamer (usually to just below the top of the ice cube. Fill the rest of the Yeti up with a high pour of coffee and it's ready to go.

Yeah, I have to brew another batch if I want more but at only 5 minutes per brew? That's fast enough that I can't complain. The Yeti (even the cheap look alike knockoffs) will keep it hot enough to enjoy for about 4 hours.

I never did like the coffee after it sat on the burner for more than about 10 minutes. The flavor just had an off taste to it. I guess that's the "burnt" taste that was mentioned a couple of times in the reviews I read. I don't even like it on the MM after it sits on the burner....even with it on the lower setting.

I have never really been a picky coffee guy. Usually drank the crap at gas stations (certain trusted ones), like Trey does. That MM has spoiled me and introduced me to something that I never thought I would be picky about. Great coffee. I have only bought two coffees after I got the MM. The first one, I took a sip and threw it out. The second one was half way between the Southern end of FL and SC. That, shall I say, was not a preferred cup o'Joe...I guess now one could label me as a "picky" coffee guy.

Definitely not a coffee snob but, definitely picky. I even take the entire set up with me when I go on vacation.....it has it's own travel bag and everything. Who knows, maybe I'm just old and getting set in my ways. Either that or I am bat s**t crazy. One of the two.

Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,474
    edited September 2021
    For you guys looking to keep your coffee hot this is a solid product...wife prefers her cup piping hot and uses this for work/travel when she doesn't have time for an actual sit down cup. Swears by it, claims it works for hours and retains decent heat all day.
    upsjve4uq0rp.pnghttps://www.amazon.com/Zojirushi-SM-KHE48AG-Stainless-Steel-16-Ounce/dp/B005PO9T44/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=Zojirushi+Stainless+Steel+Mug,+16oz,+Smoky+Blue&qid=1631311636&s=home-garden&sr=1-2
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    We rock a Keurig and I've been using them for years and years. We had a Tosimo but we didn't use it as much as the pods aren't as readily available .

But I'm looking to up my home coffee game to another level so this thread is very useful. Thanks for starting it.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Willow
    Jstas wrote: »
    lightman1 wrote: »
    Deathwish pods through a keurig thingy. I'm not gonna take a half an hour to brew a cup of coffee. Asshats...

You're not allowed to borrow my stove top percolator when your pod people thingy breaks.

Meany.

Don't think you'd want it back after he used it... Just saying
  • Old Cuisine Art coffee maker and a stand alone cuisine art grinder. Both Probably 15 years old. Favorite coffee is the Hemisfares Rwanda beans from Kroger, but our daily is the Dunkin’ Donuts whole bean coffee.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,650
    042v60xlww10.png
    idcb08631uf3.png
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • Willow
    Viking64 wrote: »
    lrz330375tdd.jpg

Would you like some coffee with your sugar?
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    lrz330375tdd.jpg

I like these too. Not vanilla though.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    edited September 2021
    lrz330375tdd.jpg

You strike me as more of a "mocha" man.
  • Willow
    Mocha, mocha man.... I want to be a mocha man....
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    lrz330375tdd.jpg

You strike me as more of a "mocha" man.

Coffee jungle fever.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Depends.
    My daily drinker is espresso from a Breville Barista Express using Black Rifle Coffee Co. AK Espresso roast.
    https://www.blackriflecoffee.com/products/ak-47-espresso-blend?variant=3921012739
    Took me about a month to get the grind coarseness and amount right along with the tamping pressure to get the right flavor and consistency.

I clean it thoroughly on a religious schedule and use water that has been triple filtered (once through the whole home filter, once through the dispenser on the fridge and finally, the filter in the water reservoir on the Breville that is changed every 3 weeks without exception (fridge filter is changed out every 2 months and whole house is 6 month).

From time to time, I do switch up and do a French Press and use the same grind but with Verena Street Coffee's Mississippi Grogg beans.
    https://www.verenastreet.com/collections/whole-bean/products/mississippi-grogg-whole-bean-1
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    If I want a REALLY good cup of coffee, all I need to do is spend a weekend at my mother-in-law's. After a weekend's worth of coffee there, the coffee from our 15-20 year old Bunn, using DD traditional roast taste's like coffee fit for royalty.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Ya ever notice that people who drink hobo/cowboy coffee live longer?
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    edited September 2021
    I used to use a French press, grind my own fresh beans in an expensive burr grinder, heat the water to the perfect temp, steep for just the right amount of time, pour that 1st cup, store the rest in a carafe. That 1st cup was excellent, the 2nd sitting in the thermal carafe was less so.

I broke down about a year ago and bought a Keurig Select. I have a local coffee roaster that roasts fresh coffee for generic K-cups. It makes a very consistently excellent cup every time. It's fast, easy and fresh.

I got tired of the routine with the French press. The Keurig with the fresh, local K-cups makes a better tasting, more consistent cup than the French press method. I was actually pleasantly surprised.

In the Summer I make batches of cold brew coffee with this handy little gizmo, that works as advertised.

https://www.amazon.com/Presto-02937-DorothyTM-rapid-brewer/dp/B089B6D4P9/ref=sr_1_1?crid=TSO3Z5X5EHAZ&dchild=1&keywords=dorothy+coffee+maker&qid=1631708532&sr=8-1

It works by agitating the grounds in a "tornado" vortex. Saw it for Prime day and got a killer deal thinking it might be just a gimmick...........but holy crap does it work very well!!

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • @rooftop59 Are those bookshelf speakers by Usher I see?
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    @rooftop59 Are those bookshelf speakers by Usher I see?

Yep, Tiny dancers. Love em, especially with the diy powered subwoofer stands.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer