Dedicated to favorite musical siblings

I thought I'd start a thread about musical sister and brother acts. For me one of the most enjoyable groups was the Mills Brothers. I think I saw them twice in a live performance and to say they were a polished act would be an understatement. It was pretty late in their careers, in fact one of the original brothers was no longer performing and another one had difficulty seeing. But it was great seeing them and hearing their beautiful voices.

pbjox60g7gsf.png

Comments

• gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    edited August 2021
    5jg8w2mc4fz4.jpg

Great band until the Robinson Brothers started feuding with each other.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • The Chambers Brothers, "Time Has Come Today".

tpjo348s8h43.png
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    The Wood Brothers
    5zxcfc7dlcae.png
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,162
    edited August 2021
    So many! Los Lonley Boys , Brothers Johnson! Isley Bros! Johnny & Edgar when they did their thing together and so. not to hog it up anymore I could go on for over an hour without looking at anything but my memories! Great thread
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • Both Paul McCartney and Brian Wilson have said that the Everly Brothers influenced their music.

2o4rbzc0991f.png
  • Giving James Brown all the funk he needed Bootsy and Phelps (Catfish) Collins.

v62i5n54edrj.png
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited August 2021
    From as far back as I can remember I've always loved the Jackson's, Earth Wind & Fire, and many other sibling groups.

Around the late 70's there was a band named 'Switch' (out of Ohio) that got that name because they would switch lead vocals and instruments during songs. They got turned on and signed to Motown by Jermaine Jackson. They had some songs featuring lead vocalist Bobby DeBarge from Grand Rapids, MI (His brother Tommy DeBarge was in the group as well), that really caught my attention.

Around the early 80's the younger DeBarge siblings formed their own group named 'DeBarge'. The whole family are singers and as a group they have wonderful harmony. IMO, they were/ are as talented or more so than many other R&B / Pop groups out and were on the way to super stardom. However, personal issues got in the way at the time of their peak. I really love their songs!

70f4f21b19274d6482bf4b1748dee636.jpg

A Dream
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dsCxATYMYk

Rare footage of them in the studio (Smokie Robinson in the control room)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrR0oJA0HwE

2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,087
    edited August 2021
    yv9ucxcr74nr.jpg

^^^ Not one of my favorite top pop family groups, but worth mentioning them.

Jake and Elwood probably don't count? :)
    Post edited by aprazer402 on
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    edited August 2021
    6enug2qw87px.jpeg
    :D
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    Musical siblings -- not always rainbows & unicorns ;)

Ray & Dave Davies.
    3r371sv7kvxf.png

Mark & David Knopfler.
    bwajn103dlk2.png

Liam and Noel Gallagher.
    0mepu6vfugpd.png

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    jdjohn wrote: »
    Bee Gees
    5htwr0moy8l9.png

They must be lacking in the junk department, because that's about the only way they fit in those pants...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    The Allman Brothers Band
    yv9u0qcvyb4l.png
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    Eddie and Alex Van Halen.
  • Viking64
    Heart. Ann and Nancy, I think.

I think there were 2 bothers in CCR as well. John Fogerty and maybe Tom?
  • While I never saw Cannonball perform live I did have the pleasure of seeing Nat at the Left Bank Jazz Society in Baltimore. He was a teacher like his brother and explained what the next song he would play was about in musical terms. Great experience.

d1mx4xs5idb4.png
  • Another sibling jazz group that I enjoy are the Heath Brothers, Jimmy, Percy and Tootie. Of course Percy Heath played with the Modern Jazz Quartet as well as with his brothers.

kxi483bm5e4q.png
  • tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,044
    Wes, Monk & Buddy.

73esf7uhlw5f.png

• Then there is the Marsalis family, (Ellis, Wynton, Delfeayo, Jason, Branford). I heard Papa Ellis on piano and Delfeayo on drums perform at a small jazz club in Annapolis.

7c4xww80fhbq.png
  • Viking64
    This video of the Osmonds needs to be here. :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXcj8dFOd1E
  • I first became aware of Randy Brecker from the Blood Sweat and Tears introduction album, then he and his brother Michael started appearing on loads of jazz fusion records.

njc1k1al4p10.png
  • Wow @WLDock what a fantastic post! I am a huge Tommy Flanagan and James Carter fan! Thanks for information on your fellow Detroit HS alumni. I remember attending a lecture given by Thelonius Monk Jr. about his father and then watching a documentary with Mr. Flanagan demonstrating some of Monk's piano style. Please tell your wife how much her uncle meant to jazz lovers around the world.
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited August 2021
    Wow @WLDock what a fantastic post! I am a huge Tommy Flanagan and James Carter fan! Thanks for information on your fellow Detroit HS alumni. I remember attending a lecture given by Thelonius Monk Jr. about his father and then watching a documentary with Mr. Flanagan demonstrating some of Monk's piano style. Please tell your wife how much her uncle meant to jazz lovers around the world.
    Yes, will do!

I saw him with Ella Fitzgerald when I was in middle school. I was floored years later when the wife and I were dating to find out that Tommy Flanagan was her Uncle and that we were both at that concert.
    Through the years, he was always touring but during the Detroit stents I got the chance to meet and talk with him a few times and see a few concerts before he passed. I spoke at his homegoing ceremony in Detroit about seeing him live with Ella at a young age and his jazz influence.
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • Just playing on John Coltrane's "Giant Steps" is enough to make him a jazz immortal let alone everything else he did.
  • Sly, Freddie and Rose Stone formao5eh4nf5e8q.png
    Sly and the Family Stone "Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin)".

• The Isley Brothers (already mentioned by @tophatjohnny) anybody recognize the guy on the left?

0p2t6lm6vseb.png
  • Viking64
    The Isley Brothers (already mentioned by @tophatjohnny) anybody recognize the guy on the left?

I do! :)