All my speakers 6.5" dome cracked!

2»

Comments

• classic carl
    classic carl Posts: 648
    Simply Speakers sells dustcaps. I would assume that other speaker companies sell them also. Replace the dustcaps if it bothers you. Otherwise, just leave the grill coveres on.
    Main System:
    Proton AA-1150 ~ Yamaha C-4 ~ Furman Elite-15 DMi ~ Sennheiser HD600 ~ Monitor Audio Silver RS8 & FB210 ~ Martin Logan Dynamo ~ Teac R-919X ~ Marantz CD5003 ~ Squeezebox Classic ~ Music Hall dac25.2 ~ Dual 1229/Acutex M312 III STR ~ Music Hall mmf-5.1/Goldring 1012GX ~ Music Hall Cruise Control 2.0

Home Theater:
    Vizio V585-H11 ~ Yamaha RX-V800 ~ Furman Elite-15 DMi ~ Marantz DV6001 ~ EPI M90 ~ Polk Audio RT35i ~ CS400i ~ (2) Polk Audio PSW450

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    This^^^
    But the shipping may be pricey to ship to Asia. Someone over there should also have some you could glue on.
  • Nim
    Nim Posts: 13
    Simply Speakers sells dustcaps. I would assume that other speaker companies sell them also. Replace the dustcaps if it bothers you. Otherwise, just leave the grill coveres on.
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    This^^^
    But the shipping may be pricey to ship to Asia. Someone over there should also have some you could glue on.

Thanks.

Step 1: New dustcaps.
    I purchased the dustcaps from online shop. It looks not so bad,
    5wfyntu5w3ar.jpg
    Above: new coming

Step 2: remove the broken, cracked ones
    64ijodwpgr6u.jpg
    Above: after removal.
    It's easier than I thought. It's quite direct.

Step 3: Glue the new one on
    gazmgbhnp6n8.jpg
    Above: that's it after fix.

Bonus:
    9bhtilbsntbd.jpg
    Above: a close look of the broken dustcap. White salt-alike things on the back side.

The sound is 100000x better now B)

• JayDog
    JayDog Posts: 266
    edited June 2021
    I have been seeing this more and more With China making most of the metal hardware, Bolts, screws etc. over the last 20yrs.
    Aluminum, grade 8 steel, Any kind of metal gear these days. I have noticed these same defects in all metals used in all fields, Auto, Cycle whatever field or industry's.
    The metals are not the same quality or even close to correct blends, like back when most of the steel was made in the USA. It really is sad what they will allow to be called Aluminum, grade 8 steel that comes out of China, it gets terrifying when it is used in brake parts or any critical parts. All you can do is replace the bolts and be glad it is a speaker screw and not somewhere it could get somebody hurt.
    Good job on those dust caps, they look like new again....
  • Nim
    Nim Posts: 13
    JayDog wrote: »
    I have been seeing this more and more With China making most of the metal hardware, Bolts, screws etc. over the last 20yrs.
    Aluminum, grade 8 steel, Any kind of metal gear these days. I have noticed these same defects in all metals used in all fields, Auto, Cycle whatever field or industry's.
    The metals are not the same quality or even close to correct blends, like back when most of the steel was made in the USA. It really is sad what they will allow to be called Aluminum, grade 8 steel that comes out of China, it gets terrifying when it is used in brake parts or any critical parts. All you can do is replace the bolts and be glad it is a speaker screw and not somewhere it could get somebody hurt.
    Good job on those dust caps, they look like new again....

I feel that way too.

I will change the bolts/screws if I can find the replacement. Very ugly.
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    edited June 2021
    I point you to Jesse’s (F1nut) work in this thread as he deserves all the credit for the execution...

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/159998/rtia7-and-csia6-crossover-upgrades-a-slightly-different-approach/www.crgproducts.com

...not the easiest solution but it worked for me too. I have used h-nuts to secure my LFE’s power amp.

Side note: I used a file to trim the H-nuts and limited the upgrade to mids and woofers.
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work