Total knee replacement - outpatient surgery?

Got the expected news yesterday that I need the replacement. Dr. told me that because of my low BMI and relative good health, I am a good candidate for same day surgery. Operation at 7:30 am and expect to be home before dusk the same day. If I feel a hospital stay is needed, they'll do that too .This blows my mind and has my wife concerned.
Anybody know much about this?
Yep, my name really is Bob.
Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.

Comments

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    I'd take the overnight hospital stay anyway for observation especially if you've already been vaccinated for COVID. There are some post surgical risks with knee replacement. They may be weighing the risks/benefits of having people stay in hospital post surgically because of COVID.

All family members of mine have stayed around 3 days to get the PT started but they were older. About a six week recovery period but they were all extremely glad they got the replacements. My mother has both knees and both hips replaced and gets around well.
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,963
    Both knees and hips....wow!
    Wife has had both knees w/o any complications, so I know what to expect. While coming home appeals to me, in the back of my mind this little voice is nagging me with "what if" scenarios.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,021
    I used to be a PT side many years ago and worked with hip and knee replacement patients. I’m sure things have advanced a lot in the last 25 years, but I can only remember one patient ever who might have even been a candidate to go home on the same day as surgery.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • mark090852
    mark090852 Posts: 993
    My wife had both knees done at the same time, bilateral total knee replacements, on Aug. 1, 2019. She expected to come home the next day, but due to some drops in her blood pressure when she would get up, they kept her in the hospital a total of three days. She had a very uneventful recovery and is thrilled with the results in both knees. She has a full range of motion in both knees and no pain at all!
    McIntosh MA252 Integrated Amp, LUMIN D2 Network Music Player, Yamaha Aventage RX-A840 receiver, Emotiva XPA Gen3 2 channel amp, Polk LSiM 703 speakers. Oppo UDP-203 Blu-Ray player, Polk LSiM 705 speakers. Polk Signature S20 speakers.
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,271
    Still can't understand how matt hoffman a bmx freestyle rider had a lars ligament put in his knee without anesthesia. The doctor told him he would recover a little faster without anesthesia.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    invalid wrote: »
    Still can't understand how matt hoffman a bmx freestyle rider had a lars ligament put in his knee without anesthesia. The doctor told him he would recover a little faster without anesthesia.

I can't believe he still knows his own name. He and Dave Mirra (R.I.P.) have had many many head traumas. It sure affected Dave. His autopsy pointed out SEVERE CTE.

Matt had many crashes on that huge 25' tall quarter pipe where he had no idea where he was for hours.
  • muncybob
    Just a nerve block I guess? I'll be getting one pre and then post surgery. I sure hope I'm also "sleeping", don't want to know a thing!

Everybody I know that has had TKR say it was worth it, including my wife that has had both done. I've given up too many things that I enjoy in life to wait any longer, just a little hesitant about the oupatient idea...but I was thinking, maybe it's a good idea to navigate our steps leading into the house while that 2nd block is still doing the job.

It will be a birthday I'll not soon forget!
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    Good luck to you Bob.

I hope your surgery goes smooth and you don't feel a thing.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    Congrats and rest easy
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,021
    Glad everything went well. Best wishes for a quick recovery with no issues.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,862
    Funny story, when my surgeon came by before the surgery, he put his initial on my left knee(lk) which was to be replaced. His initial was RK, thought to myself what if they think he marked it wrong and do my right instead.
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,640
    marvda1 wrote: »
    Funny story, when my surgeon came by before the surgery, he put his initial on my left knee(lk) which was to be replaced. His initial was RK, thought to myself what if they think he marked it wrong and do my right instead.

Funny, when I had ACL surgery years ago my surgeon wrote "not this one" on the opposite knee.
  • muncybob
    He initialed mine db, I thought decibel?

No way I'm watching that video!
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Update on the knee bro'?

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • muncybob
    Well, it's good and not so good. The good is I no longer have the daily pain I previously had. I do get some stabbing pain once in a while but I think that's not related to movement, just some nerves acting weird I guess. The not so good is I have less range of motion than I thought I would, but for the most part it's not a real issue. I hope my other knee never needs it!

Now I'm recovering from a surgical procedure on my left big toe, had to put in a plate and waiting for the toe bones to fuse together. Been walking flat footed for 6 weeks now, that requires more effort than I would have ever imagines! Hoping it's all good for estimated retirement of March next year. Really want to get back to hiking in the woods again!!