What Music Streaming Service do you use

Options
2»

Comments

• honestaquarian
    Options
    I loves me some Tidal HiFi since I get it for free with my Sprint subscription. I also still love physical media. Nothing beats a Blu-Ray when it comes to movies and you cannot stream DSD when it comes to music (yet)
    That is the whole reason for MQA’s existence. I have listened back to back to a DSD file and an MQA file of the same tracks and been hard pressed to tell the difference on my Oppo. Even after I did the upgrades.
    Tidal last last year added thousands of MQA titles and I am loving it!!
  • guyincognito
    Options
    I have a blusound node 2i and a benchmark DAC2 HGC. I use an android tablet and have Tidal and Qobuz currently. I l feel like the sound quality and Hi-Res content is a little better on Qobuz but the Tidal interface is better on the BluOS app. Amazon HD was horrible on the BluOS app but the catalog didn't seem bad. The lack of integration Amazon HD had with the app made it a non starter with me. I got rid of Amazon HD a week into the trial it was so unusable with BluOS.
    Rega Planar 8, Apheta 3 MC , Aria mk2 Phono
    Aurender n100h, Benchmark DAC2 HGC
    Arcam SR250, Parasound JC5
    Revel F208, SVS SB-4000
  • RamZet
    RamZet Posts: 792
    Options
    Amazon HD. I like the GUI too.
    B&W CM9Classé Sigma
  • xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,786
    Options
    mantis wrote: »
    I don't put much stock in streaming music services but I do like to discover music with them. My main music service is Apple Music. I like it as I have everything Apple , I can share it with the family, I can discover new music , It runs perfectly on my Sonos whole house system and it sounds fine for back ground music. It's perfect in the car I have Apple Car Play in both our vehicles.
    When I want to listen to music, I either use Flac downloads or Discs. Yup still put disc's in my Oppo and listen to certain music that way. I also have fooled around with Music players like Puremusic and some of the other ones but I don't find myself listening to music enough to sit and manage all that anymore. I was heavy into DAC's and all that madness which was really fun years ago but I just don't have enough time in the day to really get deep back into all that at this time.

I have however listened to Tidal and didn't find it to sound as good as the actual Disc or downloaded file. It's closer than ever before but if I'm gonna spend money on higher quality music, I want higher quality music not a close enough version.

I'm in the same boat. However, I ONLY Play CD's, SACD, and LP's for serious listening.
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    Options
    Amazon HD. Love the "stations" function.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,182
    Options
    I can't use Amazon HD with my Squeezebox Touch because afaik, no one has written an app for it. Before I had the SBT I was using my desktop Windows PC upstream of my DAC and it was an epic fail for me because, unlike TIDAL and Qobuz, Amazon did not at that time have any way to do bitperfect via either Wasapi or ASIO. I notified them of my reason for cancellation. I'm sure they got right on that.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,129
    Options
    HiDesertNM wrote: »
    I've only tried Spotify and Tidal, and I keep both of them now. Tidal's catalog and UI are very comparable to Spotify, but Spotify still has a big advantage with suggesting music that I end up liking and digging into more. It's just much better for music discovery compared to every other platform.

The drawback to Spotify is no Wifi. Limited to around 320 kbps. On a decent system spotify will sound like crap compared to a service like Tidal that can stream lossless files from 16 bit or higher. Spotify has finally said they will offer a WIFI service but so far I don't see it offered in my area. Its a real show stopper for me.

This is 100% why I've kept both services. Once Spotify *hifi* starts to roll out, I'll test them both side by side. But I could see myself dropping Tidal, especially since I don't use an MQA dac currently.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,871
    Options
    I've only tried Spotify and Tidal, and I keep both of them now. Tidal's catalog and UI are very comparable to Spotify, but Spotify still has a big advantage with suggesting music that I end up liking and digging into more. It's just much better for music discovery compared to every other platform.

The drawback to Spotify is no Wifi. Limited to around 320 kbps. On a decent system spotify will sound like crap compared to a service like Tidal that can stream lossless files from 16 bit or higher. Spotify has finally said they will offer a WIFI service but so far I don't see it offered in my area. Its a real show stopper for me.

This is 100% why I've kept both services. Once Spotify *hifi* starts to roll out, I'll test them both side by side. But I could see myself dropping Tidal, especially since I don't use an MQA dac currently.

you can get mqa through a lumin u1 mini without having a mqa dac. ;)
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,129
    Options
    marvda1 wrote: »

I wouldn't be keeping the CXN if I picked up the Lumin. But as you already know I have aspirations to move to a Lumin + new DAC. It's just not financially in the cards... yet.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,085
    Options
    marvda1 wrote: »

When using the UI for the Lumin Mini,
    Can you clarify the difference between “passthrough” and “digital out”

TIA
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • oldschlpolkie
    Options
  • xsmi
    Options
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,973
    Options
    xsmi wrote: »

That would be cool but I’ll believe it when I see it!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • xsmi
    Options
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,973
    Options
    xsmi wrote: »

I saw that today! Pretty cool, and the price is t chancing! Also Amazon HD is now only $10 a month. But neither works with roon dangit!

If you purchase tidal yearly through best buy it’s less that $10 a month anyway...now if qobuz will match these prices then I would switch as I think their SQ is best...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer