SVS 3000 Micro Subwoofer

So, I am sure this is an awesome subwoofer, but this is extremely interesting from their website...
-3db 23hz??? then they supply this chart?

What am I missing?

i9olqs6eg4xr.jpg
- Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.

Comments

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    Looks more like fairly flat to 30 Hz to me. About what I'd expect from dual 8 inch drivers in a 22 lb box. Could be enjoyable with a pair of small bookshelf speakers.
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,135
    edited May 2021
    I think by saying +/- 3dB for a subwoofer they are being kinda sneaky and it may be -6dB at 23Hz, since it is a 6dB difference between +3dB and -3dB. That chart is totally lame to not have any graduation lines, especially for the logarithmic x-axis.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,965
    It looks to me to be -3 to -5db at 30hz and -12db+ at 23

This is a big difference in response, IMO and is a little misleading.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,135
    It's tough because they don't have any grid lines even where there are numbers! You see this quite a bit though actually. Then the other thing is that you have to do logarithmic interpolation to find the -dB level of 23Hz. I'm not actually sure that it is -6dB and they may be stretching the truth as they say.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    I think it's a solution sub not a absolute perfomance sub. It has it's place on the market and for how small it is, looks like it performs very well.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,707
    Even the stated size, a 10 inch cube is not the case. It's really an 11 inch cube.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,965
    Maybe if you measure it from the inner round overs?? While looking at an angle?

Performance aside, false advertising is false advertising
  • F1nut
    -3db 23hz??? then they supply this chart?

I'm guessing someone made a typo and that it should be -3dB @ 32Hz.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    edited May 2021
    The older Velodyne Minivee 8 has a -3dB of 28Hz in a 10-3/8"W x 10-3/4"H x 12-3/4"D cabinet. I have one in my shop rig, very nice. Even has remote control.

President of Club Polk