L600 vs LSiM705

I have an opportunity to replace my 705s with the L600s. It seems like there is not alot of experience being shared on the l600s so far, so answers may be speculation. I have been very happy with my LSiM705s, especially after using LSi15s for 20 years prior to these. The biggest differences is a much better soundstage and they are much easier to drive, The LSi15s really had to be cranked to sound good where the 705's sound good at almost any volume. They were both run with an Adcom GFA545II which I've had for 30 years.
I now have an opportunity to replace the 705s with the L600s (if they will fit). I'm wondering if they will have similar efficiency characteristics as the LSi15s due to them being rated at 4ohm vs the 8ohm of the LSiMs.
I expect the bass to be better with the L600s, but I'm using 2 SVS PB16ultras so not really a concern for my use.
Also I will most like need to utilize my existing LSiM704c for awhile until I can fit the L400 into the budget. How closely timber matched are the 2 lines?
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,862
    i would save some more and expand my speaker search.
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    And consider other possible upgrades. That Adcom is getting pretty long in the tooth. You could get more out of your current 705s.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    Although the LSiM line is supposed to be a decent match with the Legend line according to the engineers, I'd wait to get the L600s until I could get the L400 to go along with them.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    mkellypc wrote: »
    I have an opportunity to replace my 705s with the L600s. It seems like there is not alot of experience being shared on the l600s so far, so answers may be speculation. I have been very happy with my LSiM705s, especially after using LSi15s for 20 years prior to these. The biggest differences is a much better soundstage and they are much easier to drive, The LSi15s really had to be cranked to sound good where the 705's sound good at almost any volume. They were both run with an Adcom GFA545II which I've had for 30 years.
    I now have an opportunity to replace the 705s with the L600s (if they will fit). I'm wondering if they will have similar efficiency characteristics as the LSi15s due to them being rated at 4ohm vs the 8ohm of the LSiMs.
    I expect the bass to be better with the L600s, but I'm using 2 SVS PB16ultras so not really a concern for my use.
    Also I will most like need to utilize my existing LSiM704c for awhile until I can fit the L400 into the budget. How closely timber matched are the 2 lines?
    Thanks in advance.

You have two awesome subs. If you are looking to upgrade, I would either get a much better amplifier or integrated (that adcom is fine but basically entry level imho) or look at better speakers from a different brand. They could easily be bookies with those subs, or slim towers from someone like totem that image crazy good and throw a great soundstage. You have a LOT of options in the $3500-4000 range; I would get my research on....
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,031
    How nice would it be to do a side by side?
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    The L600 is a pretty cool speaker but make sure you get to listen to them first before a final commitment. If you want to stay with Polk that is the obvious move but there's a TON of other stuff out there as well.
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,491
    Dang, on the Polk site. :/
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    No sheet, Sihab. 🙁
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,491
    edited April 2021
    BTW, I see you can get $500 off at crutchfield for a pair
    and there is an open box of the L600 at Music Direct for $3000.

I haven't heard them. Just reporting out.

Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • JayDog
    JayDog Posts: 266
    I just sold my 5 LSIM 705, 706, & 703 speakers, I am for right now trying out some nice DIY kit towers. I am in no hurry this time. I think i like the hunt as much as finding the the treasure.
    My thoughts on the LSIM are they are great for the Adorama sale price a couple years ago, very warm, good long term listening speaker, but for the original retail price, the tweeter lacks some resolution and excitement imo, also, I could never get those Cassani ovals to sound right in my room. Bass was lacking texture and kinda of muddy and simple sounding.
    The bass does scale up and get better with the better gear you use though, I tried 4 amps and ended up with best results with the Parasound Halo, So I am back on the hunt and enjoying the process so far..
    Please dont take My thoughts of the LSIM speaker personal, it is always room dependent and the individual also.. Cheers!
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    What don't you like about the 705's that is having you think of changing? Sometimes when people think they are "upgrading" they are not. It's just a different sound in my opinion. I have had 705's and while I have not heard the L600's, I have had the L200's in my home and heard the L800's . I can tell you in my home, the L200's were brighter on the top end and had a more pronounced midrange over the 705's. Depending on your taste, it could be good or bad. Since you have 2 PB16ultras, I would not be concerned on the bass unless you were going full range on the 705 or 600's without the subs connected.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    You have a LOT of options in the $3500-4000 range; I would get my research on....

That’s an understatement… 😉

Put Salk on your shortlist

salkSound.com
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • Gerres26
    Gerres26 Posts: 859
    GlennDog wrote: »
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    You have a LOT of options in the $3500-4000 range; I would get my research on....

That’s an understatement… 😉

Put Salk on your shortlist

salkSound.com
    This!
  • rntlee
    rntlee Posts: 8
    I have 705’s and was going to move along. Always though they’re a laid back, overly polite, bordering on boring speaker.
    I was wrong.
    Get some room correction working for you and those Polks will come alive in a BIG way. Paradigm has their PW Link on sale right now. Just the Anthem ARC included is well worth the price. Even comes with a calibrated mic. My 705’s are staying put.
  • I have the opportunity to get a pair of Polk L600 for ~$2100, new unopened in box.
    At this price point I am having trouble thinking of better options.
    I have a large living room, combo use case of HT and stereo
    I would be replacing Ken LS50 wireless-1
    and tbd if I keep or sell a Red S812 sub

My dac/amp are outdated Emotiva's from 2013 I'll be upgrading next year