Looking for a ~$2k tube preamp

Having gotten just a taste of tube life with my recently expired Belles 21a (my local tech didn't want any part of repairing it. he said the vast majority of it would have to be replaced) I am now on the lookout for a tube preamp to purchase. I wouldn't be opposed to buying used, but I am a little gun shy after the last one.

I have started to narrow in on the following two pieces. Unfortunately the search function isn't working so I can't do any research here, but let me know if any of you have experience with either of these, or have any suggestions based on what's out there right now in my price range. HT Bypass is a must.

PrimaLuna Prologue
Black Ice (formerly Jolida) F360

Thanks!
Pro-ject 2 Experience SB, OPPO BDP-103, Marantz SR5011, Lounge LCR MKIII, McCormack DNA-HT5, Polk LSiM705, Polk LSiM706C, Polk LSiM702, SVS SB16-Ultra

Comments

• I too am interested in Primaluna gear but have yet to pull the trigger on a tube pre. Another member here suggested the Cary Audio SLP-98 and upon digging into it you may want to add it to your short list. Used you can find them in the low 2k range.
    Rega Planar 8, Apheta 3 MC , Aria mk2 Phono
    Aurender n100h, Benchmark DAC2 HGC
    Arcam SR250, Parasound JC5
    Revel F208, SVS SB-4000
  • dr1978
    dr1978 Posts: 424
    Oh good call. I do remember seeing a couple of them on the various sites in that range not long ago. I know they're well thought of here. I think this might be a case where the age of the amp creeps into my thoughts though. At least I'm assuming that any in the market would be aged quite a bit, but I guess I'm not sure when/if they've stopped production. I might do some digging..
    Pro-ject 2 Experience SB, OPPO BDP-103, Marantz SR5011, Lounge LCR MKIII, McCormack DNA-HT5, Polk LSiM705, Polk LSiM706C, Polk LSiM702, SVS SB16-Ultra
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    A used dehavilland ultraverve 3 or Audio Research SP16
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • dr1978
    Looks like I was clearly mistaken on the Cary, since they are still producing them. I'd imagine any of them hitting the used market have a bit of age on them though.

• dr1978
    erniejade wrote: »
    A used dehavilland ultraverve 3 or Audio Research SP16

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll take a look.
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,271
    Are you looking for sound quality, reliability, brand recognition or resale value? I have found that small boutique tube gear designers, such as Aric Audio, Don Sachs, or space tech labs make way better sounding reliable tube preamps than brand name tube gear, especially within your budget.
  • dr1978
    Definitely sound quality and reliability. I don't care about brand recognition whatsoever, and I am hoping this is a once a decade purchase, so I'm not too concerned about resale.

Too bad I wasn't ready to make this jump last fall when jdjohn had his Don Sachs for sale. Thanks for those suggestions though, adding them to the list.
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    Well, my Don Sachs didn't have HT by-pass, and Don doesn't offer that as an option anymore on new builds. You *might* find an older, used build that has it.

You might also check-out Mapletree Audio Design https://www.mapletreeaudio.com/ Their line-level preamp has HT by-pass, and is priced WELL under your budget...like $800 stock.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • dr1978
    jdjohn wrote: »
    Well, my Don Sachs didn't have HT by-pass, and Don doesn't offer that as an option anymore on new builds. You *might* find an older, used build that has it.

You might also check-out Mapletree Audio Design https://www.mapletreeaudio.com/ Their line-level preamp has HT by-pass, and is priced WELL under your budget...like $800 stock.

Cool, thanks, that looks really interesting!
  • ALL212
    ALL212 Posts: 1,553
    Odyssey Audio Candela. A bit hard to find used now as those that have them aren’t letting go.
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,271
    https://www.audioasylum.com/reviews/Preamplifier-Tube/Space-Tech-Laboratory/QA-115-REG/tubes/140948.html

Here is Don Sachs review of space tech labs preamp, he used to own one. You have to scroll down the page to get to the preamp review, because there is a space tech labs amp review along with the preamp. Space tech will build you a preamp with HT bypass.
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,950
    There is a BAT vk 3i out there on US Audiomart which may interest you for 1750. I messaged the seller a couple times and he seems very forthcoming with information. Also, FWIW....I would be willing to sell my Cary slp 03 to a Polkie to purchase this...drop me a PM.
  • Gerres26
    Gerres26 Posts: 859
    Check out some of AVA’s(Audio by Van Alstine) offerings. I believe all of his preamps are able to have HT bypass added when ordering new.
    Not super flashy but great hand built quality. They don’t get a ton of press but are pretty much universally known to punch way above their price point.

I’m running an AVA Transcendence 10SL tube preamp currently. Betters other preamps that I’ve paid twice as much for.
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    Cary 98
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    Consider my 98. I haven’t bumped her in a while. The thread should still be accessible 😳
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • dr1978
    Well it was fun researching all of those smaller manufacturers, but in the end I couldn't pass up the Cary!
  • NICE! Did you end up with an SLP-98 or another varient?
    Rega Planar 8, Apheta 3 MC , Aria mk2 Phono
    Aurender n100h, Benchmark DAC2 HGC
    Arcam SR250, Parasound JC5
    Revel F208, SVS SB-4000
  • dr1978
    @GlennDog's SLP-98
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,490
    Congrats to both parties. Let us know what you think after you’ve had som time with that beauty.