My subwoofer is humming and ticking.

Sometimes the subwoofer hums and sometimes it ticks like the doulble ticking of a heartbeat. I replaced the audio cable to no avail. What should I try next?

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,965
    Hand it a tambourine, works on harmonica players.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • classic carl
    classic carl Posts: 648
    edited March 2021
    If it's humming, it must not know the words.

@JanLong
    Seriously though, is it close to your modem and/or router? Sounds like it could be RFI. I had a similar issue with my Monitor Audio FB210 sub. I moved the wi-fi cables away from the sub cables and the issue went away. It also could be that your amp is failing. What sub is it?
    Main System:
    Proton AA-1150 ~ Yamaha C-4 ~ Furman Elite-15 DMi ~ Sennheiser HD600 ~ Monitor Audio Silver RS8 & FB210 ~ Martin Logan Dynamo ~ Teac R-919X ~ Marantz CD5003 ~ Squeezebox Classic ~ Music Hall dac25.2 ~ Dual 1229/Acutex M312 III STR ~ Music Hall mmf-5.1/Goldring 1012GX ~ Music Hall Cruise Control 2.0

Home Theater:
    Vizio V585-H11 ~ Yamaha RX-V800 ~ Furman Elite-15 DMi ~ Marantz DV6001 ~ EPI M90 ~ Polk Audio RT35i ~ CS400i ~ (2) Polk Audio PSW450

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    First off Welcome to the foum.
    Subwoofers in general pick up any frequency in it's range and plays it due to the auto turn on feature. So if you have a 60hz cycle hum coming from your cable system or DSS , the subwoofer will play it.
    Disconnect the Cale or DSS feed. Also disconnect the HDMI or any metallic connection that the Subwoofer will share.
    Then see if the hum goes away. If it does then you have a poor ground in your cable or DSS service. You will either need to call Direct TV or your cable company and have them properly ground the service. If your handy, you can ground it yourself off the main Cable splitter and get it to house ground with a heavy gauge ground cable.
    OR you can buy a 3ft grounding spike, run it into the ground outside near where your services come in, run a ground wire to it and ground the service. Most DSS people will do this and not use the house ground. The house ground can be going bad and a electrican should replace the outside spike or unless your comfortable doing that yourself.

If none of that is an issue then you have a going bad subwoofer amp.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.