Advice on 2 channel amp for SDA 2a

Options
2»

Comments

• Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,929
    Options
    Where did those NAD 2600 specifications come from? NAD amps, and even their AV receivers, have been reputed for their 4Ω and 2Ω stability since before the dinosaurs. 😂

I’ve never seen any of their products rated that closely between 4Ω and 8Ω, even their current day 7.1 AVR’s. For the 2600, I found IHF Dynamic Power rated at (x 2) 8 ohms 400W; 4 ohms 600W; 2 ohms 800W; which sounds about right. It weighs 28lbs.

How old is that, though? Thirty years? Older? 🤔
    Alea jacta est!
  • Kex
    Options
    P.S. Found this from an old listing:

4lth0l253dlh.jpeg
    Alea jacta est!
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    Kex - I got it from the service manual for the NAD 2600 (oops not 2600A), here:

https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/nad/2600.shtml
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • Kex
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Either way, I wouldn’t worry about the output with the stated headroom, but yeah, the 2600A is more or less the 2700 without THX certification.

To answer my own question, they are about 30 years old (circa 1990).
    Alea jacta est!
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,184
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Just bugs me when a company says it clips at the same wattage regardless of 8 ohm or 4 ohm. Also, if it clips at 200W at 8 ohms and clips with a 20ms power spike at 8 ohms at 400W, then the actual dynamic headroom is actually 3dB, not 4dB, which admittedly is still very good but still.......
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,277
    Options
    The parasound amps are a better bet than the NAD. The 2a's are hard on amps, I've blown up quite a few with my 2a's that I bought new in 1987.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,434
    Options
    I think you guys are getting a little too obcessed with specs. They are fine for a general guideline but the ultimate determining factor is how it sounds in your room on your system to you.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    Not obsessed with specs but not everyone can sample everything out there and I would like to see companies being more helpful with the specs that are needed to assess the amps ability to respond to musical peaks at a given speaker load, especially lower than 8 ohms.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • Kex
    Options
    audioluvr wrote: »
    I think you guys are getting a little too obcessed with specs. They are fine for a general guideline but the ultimate determining factor is how it sounds in your room on your system to you.
    Absolutely agree. Specifications discussions are always somewhat arid.

Not everything can be explained by numbers on paper, and NAD’s reputation belies the specifications. Which is why the casual statement of needing 200 wpc that is often bandied about, is almost cringeworthy.
    Alea jacta est!
  • Smit
    Smit Posts: 31
    Options
    Thoughts on this guy....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hafler-P-225-220-Watt-Upgraded-Stereo-Audio-Amplifier/402713910434?

Specs - https://www.hafler.com/pdf/archive/P225_P230_amp_man.pdf

It is a bit more than my budget but it has been upgraded with new components.
    Something I will have to do to some defree regardless of whatever 'used' amp I purchase. Much of this goes over my head - opinions, advice from you all appreciated.
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,277
    Options
    Kex wrote: »
    audioluvr wrote: »
    Absolutely agree. Specifications discussions are always somewhat arid.

Not everything can be explained by numbers on paper, and NAD’s reputation belies the specifications. Which is why the casual statement of needing 200 wpc that is often bandied about, is almost cringeworthy.

Do you own the 2a's? If you listen at high SPL's you will need an amp with a very robust power supply, even my adcom gfa555 didn't like them. The amp I have now runs them fine but it has a massive power supply that can drive 1ohm load.
  • Smit
    Options
    I do own the 2a's. And I do like some volume. But the 75 wpc I have right now doesn't work.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,434
    Options
    Smit wrote: »
    Thoughts on this guy....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hafler-P-225-220-Watt-Upgraded-Stereo-Audio-Amplifier/402713910434?

Specs - https://www.hafler.com/pdf/archive/P225_P230_amp_man.pdf

It is a bit more than my budget but it has been upgraded with new components.
    Something I will have to do to some defree regardless of whatever 'used' amp I purchase. Much of this goes over my head - opinions, advice from you all appreciated.

Not familiar with that particular Hafler but if the refresh is legit it should be a nice upgrade.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,184
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Supposedly (verification needed) that is the pro version of the DH-220, which was reviewed in Audio, Feb. 1984 p. 54

https://worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Audio/Archive-Audio/80s/Audio-1984-02.pdf

And also Stereophile Vol. 6, No. 5

https://worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Audio/Stereophile/80s/Stereophile-Vol-6-No-5.pdf

I would like the fact that many upgrade kits are available to upgrade it beyond what the seller did. Apparently they tend to run warm/hot. I would want to ask the seller if they know if the one in question was kit built or wired by mfg..
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    Options
    Saw this listing.
    https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lisa8ih9-parasound-hca-1500a-new-caps-installed-scratched-top-panel-solid-state

A bit north of your price point and cosmetically challenged, is accepting offers.

Had I seen this a while back, I donated a D220 during my purgeathon, you could of just had it.
  • Smit
    Options
    So I missed the purgeathon.... story of my life. RRRR!!)

Anyway, I am passing on the Hafler P230 due to price.

Now it has come down to these two amps.
    Gonna pull the trigger on one of these for sure.

Parasound HCA 1000A $350 (that includes shipping) - Audio Mart
    or
    Hafler 9270 $265 (that includes shipping) - ebay

Both appear to be clean and working great (from pics and chats with seller)

I really have appreciated the advice and opinions from everyone.
    Any opinions on these two??

Both of these amps have great reviews but I'm leaning towards the Parasound.

Thanks again
    -Smit

• Smit
    Options
    Got the Hafler 9270. Parasound was sketchy.