New TV Opinions...

We are shopping for a new 65" TV for our living room.

Budget is around $1,000
Sensitive to motion blur so a high refresh rate
Watch a lot of sports
Room is not super bright, but will mostly have lights on so reflections could be a problem
Kind of looking form 2020 models to help keep the price down.

Right now looking between the Samsung Q70t and the LG NanoCell85. Leaning towards the LG because reviews say the Q70 is HIGHLY reflective, and the LG handles a bright room better and is good with sports.

Any feedback is welcome!!

Thanks,
Paul
2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A

Comments

• halo71
    halo71 Posts: 4,567
    edited March 2021
    I just bought a Q70T 65" back in January. Love it! Highly reflective? No not at all. Least not in my room. I looked at that same LG model. And the Samsung had more vivid pic and colors to my eyes.
    --Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    halo71 wrote: »
    I just bought a Q70T 65" back in January. Love it! Highly reflective? No not at all. Least not in my room. I looked at that same LG model. And the Samsung had more vivid pic and colors to my eyes.

That’s good to know. We have had 2 Samsungs and I’ve been happy with both.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    I have two Sony TVs. A 65" XBR900F, and a 75" Z9D. No problems with either, and a great picture on both. While the 75" is in a full surround sound home theater setup, I find myself using the 65" and sound bar 99% of the time.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,471
    I bought a Sony H900X 65" and it does a nice job. I selected it because it had hdmi 2.1 and better gaming features. I have seen them on sale at close to 1k.
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,471
    Vizio P series is being discontinued. You can get a 75" at sams club for 1700.00. excellent TV for the price and the size
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    We love our Sony XBR900F. It’s a 2018 55” model and it’s been fantastic. It appears today’s equivalent is the XBR900H and the prices have gone down on them. I see the 65” is $1,200 where our 2018 was $1600 for the 55”. I’d purchase a Sony again no question.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,042
    Talk about feeling like a Neanderthal..........I can easily name every component and quote most of the specs in all my stereo rigs but darned if I can even remember what brand our 75'' tv is. But I do remember it looked really nice the last time I watched it when TB12 won ring #7.
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    We have a 55" Samsung in the family room and 75" Samsung in the rec room. Never an issue, see my sig for the model #s.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,306
    I’m not a fan of much new tv at all. I don’t even know what’s on anymore.
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,306
    edited March 2021
    I'm loosely considering an upgrade as well, and my room is bright, so reflectivity is a consideration for my choice as well. Last time I bought a TV was around 2014, iirc.

I started with Samsung, but it was too shiny. I returned that and picked up a Sony KDL series that I've been pleased with. I also like the interface better, too. Samsung was too cartoony back then, imho. I'm sure all TVs have undergone significant UI changes since then. The Sony is just simple and refined with easy access to the features that I needed to hit from time to time. All TVs probably offer this now, but back then I liked that I was able to rename inputs and assign icons and such.

Care to share any details re: lighting in your room?
    I disabled signatures.
  • daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,206
    edited March 2021
    We just got a 65" Samsung q6dt that looks great and should be right in your price range.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    Sometimes I regret buying Sony LCD tvs because my main one doesn't handle HDR and the thing won't break and give me an excuse to replace it with one that does. :)

4K content still looks great on it anyway and it's got a bright picture in a bright room during the daytime.
  • hochpt21
    Ordered a Samsung q80 55”. We have a 120” projector in the basement, and decided we didn’t want too big of a screen in the living room so I decided to upgrade a little bit (couldn’t quite pull the trigger on an Oled).
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,031
    Emlyn wrote: »
    Sometimes I regret buying Sony LCD tvs because my main one doesn't handle HDR and the thing won't break and give me an excuse to replace it with one that does. :)

4K content still looks great on it anyway and it's got a bright picture in a bright room during the daytime.
    Buy a Wii , then don't wear your wrist strap, play bowling or anything that causes you to swing the controller at the tv, let go of the controller in full power throw and break the screen.
    Now you can go get a new tv , your welcome.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • hochpt21
    Or place your tv on the mantle. Allow the fireplace to heat the metal plate in the base off and on for 5 years until the bolts that hold the TV up become compromised and it comes crashing down in your living room. That’s what I did...
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,893
    😳 Yikes! ⬆️
    Alea jacta est!
  • halo71
    halo71 Posts: 4,567
    msg wrote: »
    I'm loosely considering an upgrade as well, and my room is bright, so reflectivity is a consideration for my choice as well. Last time I bought a TV was around 2014, iirc.

I started with Samsung, but it was too shiny. I returned that and picked up a Sony KDL series that I've been pleased with. I also like the interface better, too. Samsung was too cartoony back then, imho. I'm sure all TVs have undergone significant UI changes since then. The Sony is just simple and refined with easy access to the features that I needed to hit from time to time. All TVs probably offer this now, but back then I liked that I was able to rename inputs and assign icons and such.

Care to share any details re: lighting in your room?

My den is rather dimly lit I guess. Front double windows look out onto a 12x24 screened in porch. 2 windows on other side of room. rather large room with vaulted ceiling. TV is not reflective at all to me.

Not sure what you mean bout "too cartoony". The interface is very easy to use. Plud there is plenty of free TV.

--Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • Nesmith98
    Nesmith98 Posts: 213
    I'm happy with my Samsung 75" Q70T. The Q80 is a step up from that, you should be happy too. The Samsung remote controls for these models are for sure a minimalist design, but once I got used to it I like it.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,471
    edited March 2021
    Not sure what you mean bout "too cartoony".

I too share Scotts view.
    From my perspective, To me the picture looks like a very well drawn cartoon as in not life like. People's faces look like cartoon characters not live people. Some scenes look very 1 dimensional like layers of overlapping scenes on top of each other no depth perception

Just my humble opinion.
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,021
    Congrats on the new TV. I’m jealous of the 120” with PJ. I had one for about 10 years and certainly miss it. 😢

If my Pioneer plasma ever gives out on me, I think I may just buy a $300 cheapie at Walmart and call it a day.

I currently have a 50” Panasonic in the sun room, a 75” Sony in the movie room, a 43” Hisense on the patio, and the aforementioned 50” Pioneer in the living room...though it did spend about 2-3 years as my outdoor TV at a previous home. All these TV’s and I’m in front of a screen less than 2 hours a week.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden