Custom tube amps but "unknown" manufacturer.

This is a Craigslist ad that always caught my eye. There is a guy making custom tube amps for more than reasonable prices but I can not find anything about him on the net. All I can find is his name is Nikola Nikolov and he has a gallery of sweet looking amps. And from looking at his Craigslist listing it seems he can make custom amps out of any tube imaginable.

Anyone heard of him?

Craigslist ad
https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/ele/d/baltimore-new-prices-6-audiophill-tube/7207791780.html

Gallery (nice looking but what is inside?)
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipOYq0r3yyYjkhz179q5evuYNSCotX8Bl0oG5exYcM-KRBbhIGjGYMWFBLMSx-YDcw?key=NS1PRC1mR1o2cGx4MWNJMmZySzBRRE9nREVjZDB3

Comments

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    edited October 2020
    I would look into the quality of those "Edcor" transformers, as the quality of the transformer is arguably one of the most important things when considering a tube amplifier.

Edit: Looks like their transformers are made in the USA. That's a good start.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited October 2020
    The Edcor transformers are good quality, "value priced" transformers. Far from the best available, but very respectable.

I dunno, the amps themselves look like a total hodgepodge. They look OK, and the asking prices don't look outrageous, though.

0ofp599d1bxg.png
    I'd definitely see if you can negotiate a pair of the pyramids, though. :|

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    If He's local and you're serious have him bring over a half dozen for you to demo in your environment.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    He is about 2 1/2 hours away so it starts to be a long drive just to demo something. I will have to email him one day and ask for more info on his designs and what he can make.
  • It would be a good idea to ask if he supplies a schematic drawing with the amps. That way any future repairs could be done easier.
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,271
    It would be a good idea to ask if he supplies a schematic drawing with the amps. That way any future repairs could be done easier.

Good idea, but A lot of designers don't like to give out schematics, so nobody can copy their designs, but maybe a small company would.
  • mhardy6647
    edited October 2020
    I suspect those amplifiers are pretty simple designs.
    If they're point to point wired, they likely wouldn't be too difficult to trace out even sans a schematic.

• invalid
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    If they're point to point wired, they likely wouldn't be too difficult to trace out even sans a schematic.

You are correct, I think any competent tech could figure it out.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited October 2020
    The nice thing about a well done schematic is that there will be operational voltages listed and details about changing taps on transformers for different line voltages. Also part values (in case something ends up unreadable on the part itself) and how the circuit's feedback loop includes the output transformer's taps. It's kind of like I know the general location of Denver from Maryland and if I drive west long enough I'll find it. But having a nice map would be helpful.
  • delkal
    delkal Posts: 764

Simple is what I want this time and they are point to point wired. I would like to try a classic old school tube amp without all of the modern bells /whistles and exotic circuitry. I understand that modern designs can "sound better" and be more accurate but I am looking for the classic warm tube sound even if it also shows some of the tube limitations.

I did search for some schematics for an SET amp with some of the tubes he uses and there are many (hopefully already worked out) on the net. I am hoping with a simple circuit like this the sound quality will be more dependent on construction and quality of parts than small tweaks. But maybe that is just wishful thinking.............
  • mhardy6647
    invalid wrote: »

You are correct, I think any competent tech could figure it out.

... or any competent and sufficiently motivated owner, I'd opine. :)
    delkal wrote: »
    Simple is what I want this time and they are point to point wired. I would like to try a classic old school tube amp without all of the modern bells /whistles and exotic circuitry. I understand that modern designs can "sound better" and be more accurate but I am looking for the classic warm tube sound even if it also shows some of the tube limitations.

I did search for some schematics for an SET amp with some of the tubes he uses and there are many (hopefully already worked out) on the net. I am hoping with a simple circuit like this the sound quality will be more dependent on construction and quality of parts than small tweaks. But maybe that is just wishful thinking.............

You want a good, simple, excellent sounding vacuum tube amplifier? If you can handle the (low) output power, get that guy, or someone else, to build you one of these -- or just grit your teeth and do it yourself. I am still completely and thoroughly pleased with the one here. :) Use (or specify) the best quality output iron you can afford for it, while you're at it.

http://jelabsarch.blogspot.com/2012/06/je-labs-simple-452a3.html

47442002492_7fcb0d2943_b.jpgDSC_4262 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

• invalid
    Nice build, I like point to point wired tube gear.
  • tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,044
    Aside from how good that must sound, it just looks gorgeous Mark.
  • mhardy6647
    No complaints.
  • azazello
    azazello Posts: 4
    Hi, my name is Nikola Nikolov "Unknown" manufacturer. Im glad to participate in this forum.
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,640
    azazello wrote: »
    Hi, my name is Nikola Nikolov "Unknown" manufacturer. Im glad to participate in this forum.

Forgot your spam link genius...
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124

"My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • mhardy6647
    this is getting interesting
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    e8bxjb62woll.gif
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • azazello
    I like Single Ended tube amps and like experiment with different old tubes. Next amp will be SE with 50C6. I like also direct connected full range speakers to the outputs, without crossovers, that press sound and decrease it quality. My speakers are mod. Jensen with changed bass to 12" full range Electro Voice - from 30 to 13 000Hz and tweeter Jensen for 18-20 kHz.
    The amp above with pyramids is SE 2A3 RCA & E180F Phillips, on of the best my amps. Pyramids are against "black Magic". Also one of the best is SE EL11 Telefunken with output transformers without saturation, that is my decision.c6ws7rajajmb.jpg
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

"My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."

When it was?

You don't recognize my face? Let me remind you ;)

https://youtu.be/6JGp7Meg42U
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• txcoastal1
    I like Single Ended tube amps and like experiment with different old tubes. Next amp will be SE with 50C6. I like also direct connected full range speakers to the outputs, without crossovers, that press sound and decrease it quality. My speakers are mod. Jensen with changed bass to 12" full range Electro Voice - from 30 to 13 000Hz and tweeter Jensen for 18-20 kHz.
    The amp above with pyramids is SE 2A3 RCA & E180F Phillips, on of the best my amps. Pyramids are against "black Magic". Also one of the best is SE EL11 Telefunken with output transformers without saturation, that is my decision.

Excuse my jest, as we like many other forums acquire spam. Very interesting and appreciate you chiming in...welcome!!

• mhardy6647
    edited March 2021
    "We" (ahem, OK I) misjudged you, it appears, @azazello.
    My apologies!
    EDIT: Oh, jeez! I finally get it! Yes, the builder of the amps in the OP!
    I am so sorry! :blush:

I am perplexed, though, by this statement:

The amp above with pyramids is SE 2A3 RCA & E180F Phillips, on of the best my amps. Pyramids are against "black Magic"

Pyramids? What pyramids? and what sort of black magic are you running afoul of?

Which EV fullrangers are you using in your "modified Jensens"? MC12, LS12/LS12A, SP12B, SP12, or other?
  • azazello
    "We" (ahem, OK I) misjudged you, it appears, @azazello.
    My apologies!
    EDIT: Oh, jeez! I finally get it! Yes, the builder of the amps in the OP!
    I am so sorry! :blush:

I am perplexed, though, by this statement:

The amp above with pyramids is SE 2A3 RCA & E180F Phillips, on of the best my amps. Pyramids are against "black Magic"

Pyramids? What pyramids? and what sort of black magic are you running afoul of?

Which EV fullrangers are you using in your "modified Jensens"? MC12, LS12/LS12A, SP12B, SP12, or other?

Pyramids against evil ears and eyes......I used EV SP12B, it was hard to find 10 ohms speakers. The sound is very pleasant and my friend in Baltimore very like them.
  • 74cvr8yc4cy4.gif
    Rega Planar 8, Apheta 3 MC , Aria mk2 Phono
    Aurender n100h, Benchmark DAC2 HGC
    Arcam SR250, Parasound JC5
    Revel F208, SVS SB-4000