Mythos ST's are repaired and back

mantis
mantis Posts: 17,032
So what to do.
I removed the KLH Albany's and disconnected my Velodyne DD10 Plus from the system and reconnected the Mythos ST and used them for LFE as well. Re configured the system once again and then sat down and listened.
I really have a huge love hate relationship with these damn things. Every single time I try and get rid of them they do things that make me want to keep them. They sound so damn wide huge deep and clear it doesn't make any sense how good they are.
The Velodyne Does hit hard deep and controlled. It's damn near as fast as the JL Audio Fathom but the magic the ST's bring is un heard of for a powered tower. They should not perform as good as they do but they do.
I listened to some music , watch a few movie clips and I'm convinced they are flat out remarkable.
I guess it's good to really enjoy your system but it sucks when you would like to move on and try something else.
Dan
My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Comments

• rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    If they’re that good to your ears, why would you want to change them out, unless of course you looking for a sexier manufacturer to brag about.

I guess you could go ahead and make both your bank account and ears hate you, if that’s your goal.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    what was repaired on your Mythos STs?
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    Tony M wrote: »
    what was repaired on your Mythos STs?

Amp on one of the towers
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Tony M
    Thanks. ;)
  • mantis
    I have had the ST towers for 11 years now. A few years back the Right Tower amp went out. It was caused by interference by my Wifi antenna in the closet behind the speaker which is in another room. Def Tech sent me a new amp and away I went.
    This time the amp worked just the Volume control stopped working. It went to max volume and would not turn down. I had to adjust the output of my Sub out of my receiver to minimum gain out and it still was shaking the room. I had to remove the speakers from the system and get that amp repaired.
    They went over the entire amp and refreshed as necessary. The Volume board was completely replaced.
    Dan
  • mantis
    rpf65 wrote: »
    If they’re that good to your ears, why would you want to change them out, unless of course you looking for a sexier manufacturer to brag about.

I guess you could go ahead and make both your bank account and ears hate you, if that’s your goal.

I enjoy getting new speakers and over the decades of being in this hobby every few years I would get a new full surround system. When I got the Def Tech Mythos system, that all changed. It's been 11 years now and I have not found a system I want to own more then these.

I think I enjoy the HUNT more then the KILL sometimes. I fully enjoy researching products, testing them, giving them a full run and see what I like and what I don't.
    The only thing about the Mythos system I don't like is the fact I can't move around the Sub's to a better position. Since they are powered towers you are limited to the left and right placement. You can fool around with inches but I figured out the best place for my room in those inches and thats all they got. Yes it works out wonderfully and the bass is strong at my seat but not all seats. I have a few seats with dips.
    I have many external subs I can add to the system and have many times over the years. My wife gets annoyed at me for having so much stuff in the room. So I play for awhile, then go back to the Mythos subs.
    Dan
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,970
    If you want to experience a dramatic improvement, upgrade the crossovers. Definitive, while sounding excellent, quite literally use the absolute cheapest crossover parts. All electrolytic caps everywhere, everywhere, extremely crappy resistors and iron core inductors everywhere except the tweeter circuit.

Would be a great diy project for a weekend if you are handy and I assure you, you would not regret it.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • mantis
    VR3 wrote: »
    If you want to experience a dramatic improvement, upgrade the crossovers. Definitive, while sounding excellent, quite literally use the absolute cheapest crossover parts. All electrolytic caps everywhere, everywhere, extremely crappy resistors and iron core inductors everywhere except the tweeter circuit.

Would be a great diy project for a weekend if you are handy and I assure you, you would not regret it.
    You know I have a full set of replacement crossovers for the Mythos ST Towers. Do you still do the mod's? I remember years ago you use to do them for people. I could send you the crossovers and you could give me a quote on the upgrades.
    I think I even have a set of Mythos 10 crossovers, I'll have to check my stock. I had Def Tech send them to me back when you where doing all the upgrades and was gonna ask you to check them out and see what you thought. This is an area where I have not fooled around so I'd rather let someone who has done this then me messing them up.
    Let me know if you would be interested in this small project maybe down the road when the world is back to somewhat normal.

Dan
  • VR3
    It would be a year or more before I take on any modifications again, at that time would be open to it.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • mantis
    VR3 wrote: »
    It would be a year or more before I take on any modifications again, at that time would be open to it.
    It's cool. Depending on how this virus works out that might be a good time frame. Thanks man.

Dan
  • mantis
    edited March 2020
    qv029havje67.jpeg
    iydzk8mj1vgp.jpeg
    With absolutely nothing better to do I decided to integrate my Pair of Velodyne DD 10 Plus Subwoofer into the mix. My Carbon Subwoofer cables where to short and I didn't have any more bulk so I had to use some Pearl Sub cable wiring which is still RG6 Design with custom Audioquest ends.
    https://www.audioquest.com/custom-installation/bulk-spool-cables/hd6-series-bulk-spool/hd6-pearl
    I usually use Carbon quality for my Subs
    https://www.audioquest.com/custom-installation/bulk-spool-cables/hd6-series-bulk-spool/hd6-carbon

My Mythos ST Towers got a fresh set of grills as well. I learned that the Mythos ST-L grills are the same so Ordered a fresh new set. It's like having brand new speakers. My One Grill had some broken pegs and if you cranked it up it would rattle and I hated that.
    But in this configuration, I have them set to Small 80hz and allow the DD 10 plus subwoofers do the heavy lifting. They are remarkably fast and super tight. I would say they are on par with the JL Audio Fathom 110 V2's.
    Dan
  • Tony M
    edited March 2020
    Can't hide a Waldo in your room. B)
    I see him peeking from behind the shelving unit.

NICE and CLEAN! <3
  • mantis
    lol
    Dan
  • Hi guys,

I’m in big problems here in Sweden as i can not get any amp board to my Mythos ST. I can’t even get it repaired. Do you know where i can turn to? Def Tech in US don’t have any amp boards either.

I guess it is the amp board as the Sub doesnt sound at all even When i use the LFE input.

Please help me out!

Thanks
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,640
    Echo, echo, echo....
  • JayDog
    JayDog Posts: 266
    edited March 2021
    I am the last person anyone should listen to about buying unneeded audio gear. I have a Ebay account dedicated mostly to selling speakers and amps that I wanted to demo the last 10yrs.

Anyway Mantis your model DefTec Super Towers look modern and are still some of the very best looking speakers out there imo.
    I would keep them for another decade, I like allot of the Golden ear & DefTec Hi-end speakers, I was never a fan of the full sock cover look because they get that faded black look like a old concert T-shirt, But yours are Sick looking and could be released this year and still look modern imo.
    I do not know how much influence Sandy Gross has on the sound engineering, but you can definitely see the design connection over the years. Sandy Knows good looking Speakers!

• mantis
    flodgrisen wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I’m in big problems here in Sweden as i can not get any amp board to my Mythos ST. I can’t even get it repaired. Do you know where i can turn to? Def Tech in US don’t have any amp boards either.

I guess it is the amp board as the Sub doesnt sound at all even When i use the LFE input.

Please help me out!

Thanks
    I would start calling around to any amp repair companies in your area or where your comfortable shipping to. Theres gotta be someone out there that can repair them not just replace.
    I was lucky when I had mine fixed, Def Tech USA had all the replacement parts.

Dan
  • mantis
    JayDog wrote: »
    I am the last person anyone should listen to about buying unneeded audio gear. I have a Ebay account dedicated mostly to selling speakers and amps that I wanted to demo the last 10yrs.

Anyway Mantis your model DefTec Super Towers look modern and are still some of the very best looking speakers out there imo.
    I would keep them for another decade, I like allot of the Golden ear & DefTec Hi-end speakers, I was never a fan of the full sock cover look because they get that faded black look like a old concert T-shirt, But yours are Sick looking and could be released this year and still look modern imo.
    I do not know how much influence Sandy Gross has on the sound engineering, but you can definitely see the design connection over the years. Sandy Knows good looking Speakers!
    As I agree with you, I would like to get the speakers off the floor. I would like to find a mint pair of Mythos 10's and hang them on the wall left and right of the Tv spaced exactly how the Mythos ST's are now. My Velodyne DD10 Plus subs are my subwoofers and the internal Subs of the Mythos ST's are not being used other then whatever get's played down to 80hz. They are setup in small.
    I have had floor standing speakers all my life and would like to go on wall for a change. I can always add in a pair of floor standing speakers IF I decide that I need that back in my life.
    We put a Christmas tree in the left corner of the room and in front of the window so I always have to move my left channel speaker against the cabinet so we have room for presents and the tree. I'm just tired of doing it, tired of using 2 outlets on the surge and on walls would solve those issue. Not to mention I have Surrounds and a Center which are all Mythos 10's so I would have a perfectly match floor level system , I have done that very system in the past many times and it's incredible .
    Dan
  • JayDog
    JayDog Posts: 266
    mantis wrote: »

As I agree with you, I would like to get the speakers off the floor. I would like to find a mint pair of Mythos 10's and hang them on the wall left and right of the Tv spaced exactly how the Mythos ST's are now. My Velodyne DD10 Plus subs are my subwoofers and the internal Subs of the Mythos ST's are not being used other then whatever get's played down to 80hz. They are setup in small.
    I have had floor standing speakers all my life and would like to go on wall for a change. I can always add in a pair of floor standing speakers IF I decide that I need that back in my life.
    We put a Christmas tree in the left corner of the room and in front of the window so I always have to move my left channel speaker against the cabinet so we have room for presents and the tree. I'm just tired of doing it, tired of using 2 outlets on the surge and on walls would solve those issue. Not to mention I have Surrounds and a Center which are all Mythos 10's so I would have a perfectly match floor level system , I have done that very system in the past many times and it's incredible .

That makes sense, only issue with that is going to be tough finding 2 minty Mythos 10's. I stay knee deep in the used audio market and if you do see Def Tec Mythos around, they are usually in horrible shape or if you see the super towers they are always with there plate amps blown or wont power on etc.

But where there is a will, there is a way. I really do love the lines of that Tower speaker and the Golden Ear Triton. Good luck!

• mantis

That makes sense, only issue with that is going to be tough finding 2 minty Mythos 10's. I stay knee deep in the used audio market and if you do see Def Tec Mythos around, they are usually in horrible shape or if you see the super towers they are always with there plate amps blown or wont power on etc.

But where there is a will, there is a way. I really do love the lines of that Tower speaker and the Golden Ear Triton. Good luck!
    If you run into a pair of minty Mythos 10's or even a minty pair of Mythos 9's , hit me up man.
    Dan
  • mantis
    WOW first pair I have seen. But they are in the UK which kinda sucks for shipping.
    I'm not sure if I'm comfortable buying over seas.

Thanks for the link man good price as well.
    Dan
  • VR3
    Nothing wrong with buying over seas, imo. Go for it!
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    WOW first pair I have seen. But they are in the UK which kinda sucks for shipping.
    I'm not sure if I'm comfortable buying over seas.

Thanks for the link man good price as well.

eBay protects the buyer first and foremost. If they don’t arrive exactly as described it’s very easy to get a refund. You might lose shipping which is a good bit in this case, but if they’re that rare it might be worth the risk!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • mantis
    They are absolutely rare, it's so hard to even find a pair in any condition.

My Goal would be to use them as main channels if I don't upgrade to Monitor Audio which is in the wings. I keep listening to them , all the different lines and they are fantastic from the entry to the Flagship.

What a wonderful line of speakers, I'm really loving them and have for many years now. I'm actually afraid to bring home a pair of Silvers or Golds and put them up against my ST's. Maybe this time the ST's will finally lose a Shootout.
    Dan