VTL TL2.5 Opinions

Anyone have experience with this unit? May potentially upgrade from my Dared. Wonder how big of an upgrade it might be.

Thanks,
Paul
2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    I had one years ago. It sounded good and presented a wide holographic stage. I've no experience with the Dared, so I can't offer a comparison.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Gerres26
    Gerres26 Posts: 859
    There’s one for sale right now on the audiomart if you are looking. I thought about purchasing it myself but the lack of original box/packaging caused me to take a pass on it.
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    That’s the one I’m looking at. Decent price. I don’t think I’d lose much if I didn’t like it, but didn’t want to waste my time if it was not much of an upgrade.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • Gerres26
    Gerres26 Posts: 859
    I’m not sure if it’s an upgrade from the Dared or not...hopefully some folks who have heard both will chime in. I’m also looking at tube preamps in this price range currently and the VTL gets high praise almost universally.
  • F1nut
    edited February 2021
    I see there's a VTL Stereo 70/70 listed also, which is a fairly rare amp. I had a different ultra rare Manley version of that amp. It went back home to the member I bought it from. Good stuff!

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• hochpt21
    edited February 2021
    @F1nut

I know it was a while ago, but how would you say the preamp would hang in the sub $1,500 range (used)?
  • F1nut
    Hard for me to say. It's not junk, that I can tell you. Like I mentioned above, I do recall it had an amazing holographic stage.

President of Club Polk

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    While I'm not super familiar with either unit.....VTL/Manley gear is generally very good. Soundstaging, depth and air without the overly romantic/warm/lush sound associated with a lot of tube gear (a lot of older CJ gear, for example). The Dared units I've heard were more on the warm/lush side....if that's what you are looking for.
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    Gerres26 wrote: »
    I’m not sure if it’s an upgrade from the Dared or not...hopefully some folks who have heard both will chime in. I’m also looking at tube preamps in this price range currently and the VTL gets high praise almost universally.

Having had a tricked out Dared and a 2.5,, I would take the VTL ,, btw,, the VTL was stock
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • F1nut
    There's your answer.

President of Club Polk

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    @verb has this pre and was impressed by the performance.
  • hochpt21
    Great feedback. Thanks folks.