Anti diffraction rings (for tweeters)

VR3
VR3 Posts: 27,968
edited February 2021 in For Sale (FS) Classifieds
$12 shipped per pair!

Only have made one pair could make more than one if interested.

Fitts around most tweeters - felt/wool material, laser cut! Can customize!

Inner diameter is 1.5"
Outer diameter is 3.5"

rtm6wixffxp2.jpg
xi35mwa3fbdl.jpg
- Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.

Comments

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    How do they adhere to the cabinet? Can they easily be removed/installed at will?
  • VR3
    The easiest way would be some velcro dots
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,136
    4-5/8" x 3-1/4" would be nice to try on the Peerless. It would just cover the edge gap around the bezel where the baffles were routed a little oversized.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • VR3
    I could make that shape, 1.5" hole centered on a rectangle that size, can even engrave peerless or something of your choice $15 a pair 😁
  • Gardenstater
    edited March 2021
    I would like a pair. On second thought, 4-3/4" x 3-3/8" would give a little extra mat'l to allow stuffing it into the gap around the tweeter bezel, with a putty knife. I would like to get completely rid of the gap and I was contemplating what to stuff in there :) Just "Anti-Diffraction" would be fine and dandy.

Edit - I would say 3/8" radius on the corners would also be just about right.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • VR3
    Ok no problem, pm me your PayPal and I'll send you a mock up for approval and invoice 😁 maybe ship them out tomorrow!
  • Gardenstater
    edited March 2021
    What would you think about clearance holes for the screws (4 magnet screws and 4 mounting screws), so that the whole mat can lay flat against the tweeter bezel. Not necessary or worth the effort? I don't suppose you can burn a counterbore can you? Then the screws would remain hidden for aesthetics.

Edit - magnet screws are 2.225" B.C., 0.265" (~0.27") head dia.

Attachment screws are 3.93" x 2.38" rectangular, 0.313" (~0.32") head dia.

George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,474
    edited March 2021
    Any thoughts on using them w/SDA's...specifically, RDO'd 3.1tl, 1.2tl and 4.1tl?
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • VR3
    Yes I was thinking about designing one that covers four tweeters like the 1.2tl since I have them here.

Given the width of the baffle, should make a solid improvement
  • VR3
    What would you think about clearance holes for the screws (4 magnet screws and 4 mounting screws), so that the whole mat can lay flat against the tweeter bezel. Not necessary or worth the effort? I don't suppose you can burn a counterbore can you? Then the screws would remain hidden for aesthetics.
    To counter sink would be tough.

The felt conforms pretty well, I don't think screws would be a problem from what I have seen here with the material
  • JayCee
    edited March 2021
    I'm sold and down to experiment. I have the milled plates waiting to be installed, too, and this will be a fun project to go with it. Put me in line for a 1.2tl set. No rush.
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • VR3
    edited March 2021
    Are you wanting them for the 1.2tl or all three?

The 2. 3 if I recall has the same spacing and alignment just one less tweeter.

I could do a full spread like that at $8 a tweeter plus $5 shipping and PayPal for the pair would be one sheet, rounded edges and I'll engrave the model at the bottom of the sheet. Would look slick!
  • VR3
    edited March 2021
    Edited above to $8 tweeter, sorry about that

A pair of 1.2tl would be $37 shipped
    2.3tl would be $29
    3.1tl would be $15 since it's an easier design/less. Material
  • JayCee
    edited March 2021
    LOL. I edited my post above to reflect 1.2tl. Will start there for now with the hope I can purchase more based on positive results?
  • VR3
    edited March 2021
    Sure thing!

Ill post a mock up tonight, I don't have enough material to print those out just yet but I have some on the way!
  • JayCee
    edited March 2021
    I see what you're doing! The whole "VR3's retiring" thing a while back was a marketing ploy. You've since found that having a kid costs $$$ and are thinking about how to pay for college! I'm a new grandpa...my kids are facing the reality of the "cost". Just kidding around but, seriously, you could pay future expenses w/the coin you make from this CP side gig. Thoughtful investing, a 529, the kid's set!

Cool, the mock-up will be nice but I trust your mad skills. And, if it makes it easier, hold off doing mine after you see what comes of this with more folks. Even if I get them sooner-than-later, I'm going to install the new plates and live with them for a bit before I add this, so I can evaluate/appreciate the change.

Edit to add....I like the suggestion to use velcro. Will make it easy for my grandkids to replace long after I've gone and both the material and I turn to dust. Already have my kid's fighting over who gets the speakers.
  • VR3
    edited March 2021
    Gotta be honest, the laser changes everything haha... Something about sitting at my computer versus outside freezing with a saw is enticing!

Also doesn't hurt that diffraction pads work! Cheap tweaks! 😁😁😁

Those dogs don't stand a chance!
  • JayCee
    edited March 2021
    VR3 wrote: »
    Gotta be honest, the laser changes everything haha...
    Showed my wife the p2p 1.2tl XO's your working on. She has a background in component level repairs and is a budding artist. The combo of art and tech made an impression. I've never seen her so enthusiastic over my CP musings. She's genuinely impressed. You've made a 3D printer and lazzzzzzer anything an easy sell in my future.
  • VR3
    edited March 2021
    Thanks man, that means alot. A 3d printer is next on my list, but the last time I used a 3d printer I had a hard time finding an application for me. As a recreational tool it would definitely be fun to have again. Also seems the tech has improved a bit since 5 years ago
  • VR3
    Peerless tweeter diffraction mock up

4fwswv1lgnif.jpg
  • VR3
    edited March 2021
    6k1puyujaeot.jpg

Overlay with the tweeters for perspective

• VR3
    Here we go!

p3hamit7u5af.jpg
  • JayCee
    I like it. Using the Velcro attachment suggestion, how flat/close do these need to be to the mounting surface to remain as flush as possible?
  • VR3
    In my experience, in the past using a diffraction product. If the felt is not perfectly flush it is "ok" and does not really change the results. The felt is absorbing waves that would otherwise be going across the baffle, so either way that result is happening. So as long as it is flush or 1/8 inch or so off of the baffle you should be fine
  • VR3
    This particular felt has great memory to, you can flatten it and position it really well. It also tends to "cling" to thing, so it will hug screws and such
  • JayCee
    I'm thinking a few horizontal strips of the thinnest I can find and placed in the valley where the plates roll off and meet each other? From the top, numbered 1-4 going down, between 1/2, 2/3 and 3/4? Does this make sense? If so, is it stiff enough that the extreme top and bottom edges will stay in place and not flop forward over time? Also, how small can you make the font? Under the SRS writing, as small as possible, write "These aren't your average 1.2tl's!" Small enough you'd have to be on them to see it!
  • VR3
    LOL! I can maybe go like the size in the original photo before you wouldnt be able to read it at all (since it is a fabric)

And yes, the felt has great memory and excellent grip. Once you set it in place and shape it, it will hug all of the screws and conform nicely to the shape of the tweeter faceplates and so forth.
  • JayCee
    edited March 2021
    Okay, cool. The writing's more a joke but....not. You should throw a subtle VR3 on there somehow. Credit where credit's due.
  • VR3
    I just tested holding a large piece with only a half inch of velcro, has excellent grip!

No problem, I'll put Vr3 in the bottom right hand corner and then your text below the 1.2tl in smaller letters