Lorde and Taylor is now closing , what's next?

I think the world has changed to much. So many stores have closed not just because of COVID but the ever changing world we now live in.

I don't shop there, I don't know if we ever shopped that but a part of me feels sad. It's like everything we grew up around is going away.
Dan
My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Comments

• And Pennys is on life support.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    JCPenny's I have shopped at a ton over the years. That was a store I grew up with as well. Sears was our number 1 store but Penny's was always a nice place to find some nice stuff.

Malls will have no department stores left. We are down to Boscovs and Macy's. We just got some new Feather Down Pillowsand a Down Comforter at Macy's Monday.
    Dan
  • mantis
    Boscovs is basically my new Sears. I have shopped there in the past when Sears was open but not as much as now. It's just where I go when I need clothes.
    Dan
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    mantis wrote: »
    Boscovs is basically my new Sears. I have shopped there in the past when Sears was open but not as much as now. It's just where I go when I need clothes.

Still sporting the Toughskins?
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,475

Or is it garanimals?
  • mantis
    LOL both
    Dan
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892

I remember those, so tough they would stand up when you took them off.
  • afterburnt
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Or is it garanimals?

Maybe Underoos?
  • mantis
    afterburnt wrote: »
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Or is it garanimals?

Maybe Underoos?
    They where my favorite growing up LOL

Dan
  • Thorton
    Thorton Posts: 1,324
    Boy the world has changed. My mom used to take me to the department stores/malls all the time. It was almost a ritual. I prefer ordering everything online now unless it's a specific brand I know whose QC is off the measurements where trying on is required.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    I was wondering how Lord and Taylor was staying in business 20 years ago. If I was ever dragged in one of their stores at a mall I'd usually see more staff than customers.
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,305
    And Pennys is on life support.

Penny’s is only still here because Simon Group bought them (and their debt). Simon is the largest mall property manager in the country. If malls do not maintain a set number of “anchor” stores (Penny’s, Sears, Nordstrom, etc) then THE MALL itself is in violation of the lease agreements they’ve signed will all their tenants. Therefore it made financial sense for them to buy Penny’s, and not have to re-negotiate leases with EVERY tenant in the malls...
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,636
    edited February 2021
    I think Gamestop is on it's last leg. AMC too.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited February 2021
    daddyjt wrote: »
    And Pennys is on life support.

Penny’s is only still here because Simon Group bought them (and their debt). Simon is the largest mall property manager in the country. If malls do not maintain a set number of “anchor” stores (Penny’s, Sears, Nordstrom, etc) then THE MALL itself is in violation of the lease agreements they’ve signed will all their tenants. Therefore it made financial sense for them to buy Penny’s, and not have to re-negotiate leases with EVERY tenant in the malls...

Yeah, Simon and Brookfield Properties as well as some variious other bankruptcy lenders bought Pennys as they emerged from bankruptcy.

Simon along with other groups have also purchased Forever 21 and some other retailers that filed for bankruptcy. Wonder how this business model of buying tenants that don’t make money just so you have tenants will work out. But money is so cheap anymore these Corporations can just keep borrowing and borrowing to stay afloat as the executives get richer and richer.

God bless the United Corporations of America.

Post edited by motorhead43026 on
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • afterburnt
    The last Levis I bought were from JCP, I still got em, a 34' waist lol and they cost like 35 bucks. That was like 4000 years ago. This is why I no longer wear pants.
  • mantis
    Does anyone think the way the world is going is better than the way it was? I'm thinking right now buying online is better then going out to stores to stay safe due to COVID. But once we get though this mess I'm wondering what it's going to be like? I personally enjoy going to a store and buying what I need or want. Touching feeling seeing and smelling sometimes is just better.

yes I'm old Fashion and don't really mind Amazon but is it really the better way?
    Dan
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Good question. I have been buying online long before Covid, and I will be after Covid.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited February 2021
    For me, things changed ages ago when brick and mortar stores started to close. I grew up going to stores located Downtown Detroit like Hudson's, Cowley's, Kresge, Grinnell Bros. Music, Florsheim shoes, etc. It was sad to see them go.

30280433E.jpg

Later, Malls really started to expand and there were several just outside of the city within a 10-30 min drive. Today, some of those malls have closed and some are still open.

One of those malls is just a few miles away from where I used to live. The crazy part is all of the major pillar stores like Macy's, JCPenney, Sears, Target, Burlington, Montgomery Ward, Kohls, Target have all closed. This to me is not only sad but strange that its still open.

The future of malls does not look bright and online shopping will command more market share.... Still, I would never want to buy a suite from an online store!
    Post edited by WLDock on
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    yes I'm old Fashion and don't really mind Amazon but is it really the better way?

For people in smaller markets, absolutely. I grew in a small town and you had to drive an a hour to have any options, and was lucky that a large city was only an hour away (for many folks in Texas, you have to drive HOURS to get to a major market). I live in a larger city now, but its still not a major market, and even when I moved here 20 years ago the Best Buy and Circuit City were tiny. I will say that my first Polks were purchased based on a circuit city demo that helped me decide, but I exacerbated the problem by finding a better deal online lol...

I do agree with you Dan that I loved bookstores, record stores, video stores, and I miss having good smaller music stores (for guitars and such). But its inevitable at this point, and it is cheaper and you have access to a LOT more choices...

Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • mantis
    As little as I shopped in Circuit City, I still miss having them around. So many businesses have gone under it's sad.
    Guitar shop for me is very important and I can't buy a guitar without playing it first. I connect to my instruments. Same with Guitar amps cabs head effects etc , I have to sit down and play through them first before I decide it's right for me or not. I love looking over Sweetwater but would rather go there and buy things than online.
    Shoes pants even shirts I like to try on to make sure they fit properly.

Saving a few buck but then getting something you may or not not like just isn't for me.
    Dan
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    As little as I shopped in Circuit City, I still miss having them around. So many businesses have gone under it's sad.
    Guitar shop for me is very important and I can't buy a guitar without playing it first. I connect to my instruments. Same with Guitar amps cabs head effects etc , I have to sit down and play through them first before I decide it's right for me or not. I love looking over Sweetwater but would rather go there and buy things than online.
    Shoes pants even shirts I like to try on to make sure they fit properly.

Saving a few buck but then getting something you may or not not like just isn't for me.

Yea I bought my Taylor 814ce at the local guitar center and I never would have paid that much for a guitar if I didn’t sit down and play it a feel it and hear it for myself...if we completely lose that it will be loss for sure.::
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited February 2021
    Just think, large music stores like the Guitar Center mated with online shopping killed many Mom & Pop music stores. There were some very cool drum shops around Metro Detroit that are gone.

Now, the Guitar Center filed for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy last Nov 2020.

The World is ever-changing...
    Post edited by WLDock on
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2