Anyone know what these are?

Options
Friend of mine is looking at a storage unit and found these. No markings. I told him to take off the back to see what drivers were in there but I don't think they will let him.

wg8ujfo7sxhd.jpg

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,027
    Options
    Not likely to be production loudspeaker systems -- they might be generic cabinets stuffed with -- whatever. None of which is a bad thing. As you surmise, it all depends on what's in 'em!

I usually just use a bright flashlight, right up 'gainst the grille -- much can be revealed by this tactic, if one knows what one is looking for. As always "chance favors the prepared mind" as Pasteur put it. :)

The screwdriver approach is a tad better, but may or may not be practical, or even permitted, depending upon circumctances.

I am gonna guess they're stuffed with Electrovoice drivers. Second guess: University.
    B)
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,678
    Options
    Those were known as "Tubeless TVs".
  • mhardy6647
    edited February 2021
    Options
    They definitely have a repurposed TV cabinet vibe to them, but I am not sure that's what they are. Someone would've had to come up with two identical cabinets -- which just seems unlikely. It is certainly possible, though -- no bout adoubt it. :)

So, optimist that I am ;) I'd say to myself: Self. You know, the guy (and it probably was a guy*) that built them probably spent the big bucks on the drivers & horns rather than on fancy-a$$ cabinets. Probably dump-dived (dump-dove?) the cabinets. Self... are you listenin', self?!?

PS Repurposed TV cabinets of that era (and even earlier) made pretty good loudspeaker enclosures. DO not ask me how I know this. :#

_________
    * Had it been a woman, she'd have probably made them into aquaria or terraria, or maybe two tiny houses, or one larger tiny house.

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    Pieces of junk.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,546
    edited February 2021
    Options
    He was unable to get into them. But he did pick up 4 Altec 808-8b drivers and horn and a box of other large horns and drivers. Some NOS Realistic and EV drivers. Plus some old Military stuff.

He will bring the horns over to test.

The cabinets don't look robust enough to be a TV (cathode ray).

Thanks guy!
  • mhardy6647
    edited February 2021
    Options
    cool :)

Tell your friend/colleague. next time bring a bright flashlight :)

What horns on the 808s? :) Are they, perhaps, multicells?
    and what NOS EVs :):)
  • CH46E
    Options
    He left these behind. Not sure whats in them.

5ftzfvoocfjq.jpg
    ajzcdzge2zh0.jpg
  • CH46E
    Options
    Im waiting to hear back from him with part numbers.
  • CH46E
    Options
    Here is the horn number. a6igwyyb0qhg.jpg
  • CH46E
    Options
    I know nothing about horns BTW
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,684
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Those look like a repurpose project or
    possible first SDA prototypes. Is there an interconnect cable? lol.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,519
    Options
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,519
    Options
    https://greatplainsaudio.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/808-8B-01.pdf

They seem like late 60's early 70's to me...
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • mhardy6647
    edited February 2021
    Options
    511B was/is the most likely suspect -- which, of course, is easy for me to say in retrospect B)

The 511B (and its smaller sibling, the 811B) incite a little controversy. :)
    They're not bad horns, though -- they just need to be used "correctly" (which, bless their hearts, even Altec didn't always do).
    In theory, the 511B can be used down to 500 Hz, but a crossover of 800 or 1000 Hz will yield better results.
    Also, the 511B does best when it is firmly bolted to a fairly massive baffle -- it's a ringy horn.

I actually sold :o the 511Bs I had -- but I do, occasionally, regret that decision. :blush:

That looks like (?) a real Altec "pro" cabinet, but I am out of my depth with such things.
    IF you @CH46E or your colleague are interested in this stuff, there is, of course http://www.lansingheritage.org/ There's also a fair amount of Altec-y chatter at https://hifihaven.org/index.php
    AK also has a "Lansing" subforum.

On the other hand, if the price of all that stuff was right -- you/your colleague can just flip all of that stuff & pocket a tidy profit. It's all pretty desirable to the right market (although much of that market is now ex-US... but it is a market with deep pockets).

:|

Lots of fun stuff in that warehouse or whatever it is/was! :)

• mhardy6647
    edited February 2021
    Options
  • CH46E
    Options
    Ah dang, looks like he left a lit of cool valuable stuff behind.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    CH46E wrote: »
    Ah dang, looks like he left a lot of cool valuable stuff behind.

Maybe not a lot -- but probably some... on the other hand, many cool stuffs were snagged. :)