Does Polk not offer free shipping for members anymore?

figit090
figit090 Posts: 12
edited February 2021 in Customer Service
I've called CS and it seems they don't offer free shipping anymore?

I'm trying to find the best price for 8 RD0194 tweeters for my SDA SRS speakers and it sounds like they only offer 10% off, which is still nice, don't get me wrong. Just wanted to check that the rep has it correct; did that club polk benefit of free shipping go away? It's on this forum at the top and on their online catalog so I was hoping my $400+ order might benefit as well...

Thanks for any advice, seems most of the info I'm finding for this swap is a few years old.

Comments

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    They used to when it was just Polk Audio by itself. Don't know if the policy changed but the 10% off is good. It's been quite a few years, but I think they used to use FedEx. The only other option I'm aware of is Midwest Speaker Repair but they charge $59.95 per tweeter plus priority mail shipping rates. May be worth giving them a call if you're going to get 8 to see if you can get a better deal, but I suspect Sound United is offering the best way to get them.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    It may be that Polk still has some tweeters left over, but they have stopped supporting vintage Polk speakers. Midwest is now the supplier for the tweeters and mid-drivers.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Emlyn wrote: »
    They used to when it was just Polk Audio by itself. Don't know if the policy changed but the 10% off is good. It's been quite a few years, but I think they used to use FedEx. The only other option I'm aware of is Midwest Speaker Repair but they charge $59.95 per tweeter plus priority mail shipping rates. May be worth giving them a call if you're going to get 8 to see if you can get a better deal, but I suspect Sound United is offering the best way to get them.

Thank you, do you know if MW Speaker Repair or Sound United offer any discounts for being a member I should mention?

I didn't know about Sound United, if they're reputable I'll give them a call, so far to my address Polk offers the best deal.

513 from MSR
    476 from Polk

Thanks for the tip, Emlyn. I'm trying to figure out how to order from Sound United right now.
  • F1nut wrote: »
    It may be that Polk still has some tweeters left over, but they have stopped supporting vintage Polk speakers. Midwest is now the supplier for the tweeters and mid-drivers.

Thank you, it seems they do have stock but I didn't inquire how much. When did they stop support? That's a major bummer, I've read tons of your posts (naturally) and the last few years have thought about upgrading my speakers. I read a little about them possibly no longer carrying the proper parts and figured I should buy now before they stop making the darn things....

Thanks F1!
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    Sorry, Polk and Sound United are the same thing (the parent company).
  • Emlyn wrote: »
    Sorry, Polk and Sound United are the same thing (the parent company).

Ah yeah I discovered that as I was googling things, and as I called and got referred to the same hold music as I had with Polk earlier today.

Looks like I'll be buying from Polk, thanks for your help.
  • I found out that they only offer 10% as well with no free shipping. I have called about 10 times to try and get my order through. Now they may not be in stock. The number that I use gets me to techincal support and they eventually answer but we can't get to the billing dept to finish the order. First problem was Mon was a Holiday, then next day no billing dept. Now they are not sure they are in stock.
  • figit090
    edited February 2021
    kwrash wrote: »
    I found out that they only offer 10% as well with no free shipping. I have called about 10 times to try and get my order through. Now they may not be in stock. The number that I use gets me to techincal support and they eventually answer but we can't get to the billing dept to finish the order. First problem was Mon was a Holiday, then next day no billing dept. Now they are not sure they are in stock.

So I have good news, and bad news, and semi-good news maybe you can benefit from:

Good news: They were in stock when I ordered and apparently they're on their way to me, after three calls and several hours... I tried to get stock information for posting here, but all he could give me was the future supplier as mentioned above (Midwest Speaker Repair).

Bad news: they also told me on the phone (twice) that 10% was the best they could do. One call to price-check and the second to order. However it took THREE phone calls because the second call didn't result in any actual invoice...third call did.

Semi-good news: TEN DAYS after my initial email and after I made my purchase, to add insult to wallet injury, my original attempt to ask customer service before my order got a kind answer of 20% off and free shipping. I'd recommend emailing them and waiting two weeks, then maybe you'll get Tom?

Alas, I've already paid and may not get the discount, and I'm rather irritated there's no real uniformity, but I've emailed again to hopefully get the discount refunded...($58.95, I could have a free backup tweeter for that)
    We'll see in a few days I guess, I just thought I'd post this here so you could (maybe) get the better discount.

Here's the customer support email from Tom (thanks Tom I know you're busy!) in favor of our discount:

Response By Email (Tom C.) (02/19/2021 01:33 PM)
    Hello,

You can call us at 1-800-377-7655 Mon-Fri 11am-5pm Eastern time to order RD0194-1 tweeters. They normally cost $60 each, plus tax and shipping. The part number to ask for is RD0194-1.

The Club Polk discount is 20% off with free ground shipping, so the RD0194-1 tweeters would be $48 each, plus tax.

Tom Carter
    Customer Service Technician

11500 Cronridge Dr
    Suite 110
    Owings Mills, MD 21117
    www.soundunited.com

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,476
  • figit090
    edited February 2021
    Well I got my 8x tweeters, little bummed the cardboard packing polished small marks into the faces of most of them. Seems maybe shipping vibration caused movement and the scuffing occurred. Thankfully it's minor so it shouldn't be a bother. Annoying all the same though.

Still waiting on a reply email on the refund issue, not sure if I should call nor do I want to be on hold another hour just to complicate my support ticket.
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,458
    Ah, I remember the days when tweeters and drivers came individually packaged in their own carboard boxes. Last time I ordered drivers from Polk they came stuffed into one box with bubble wrap around each one (they were layered together). They all worked, surprisingly...
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • figit090
    edited April 2021
    OK, so updating! By March 10 I was able to get a partial refund to match Tom's emailed quote. Ken got me in touch with Kim and she helped get my refund.

I'd like to thank Ken S and Kim J and Tom C. It took a multitude of phone calls and emails but it was resolved. Does anyone know why Ken's account is deleted BTW? I just logged in to see the forum looking different and his account gone.
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,892
    edited April 2021
    Mr. Kenneth Swauger is still here, masquerading as @SeleniumFalcon!

He can explain it to you himself, as I only have sketchy details of the why and wherefore of his new persona. 😉
    Alea jacta est!
  • figit090
    Kex wrote: »
    Mr. Kenneth Swauger is still here, masquerading as @SeleniumFalcon!

He can explain it to you himself, as I only have sketchy details of the why and wherefore of his new persona. 😉

Lol, I'm getting Evolution and Star Wars vibes...
  • SeleniumFalcon
    SeleniumFalcon Posts: 3,453
    For some unexplained reason my account didn't make it over to the other side.
  • figit090
    For some unexplained reason my account didn't make it over to the other side.
    I guess it couldn't come to the dark side....
    Well, thanks for your help, Ken!