Cambridge 851N and Tidal Connect

rburgess714
rburgess714 Posts: 614
edited January 2021 in Electronics
With firmware update I now have the Tidal app in the Cambridge Connect under the apps section and can tap on the app which opens the native Tidal app and then must tap the speaker icon to stream through the 851n. It displays as an AirPlay connection, is that correct? Is the quality through AirPlay the same, better or worse than steaming through the older version that requires you to access Tidal through Media-Services and Tidal.

The first 2 screenshots are the old way of connecting to and the later with the new app update.

8mmoso89hve7.png
1ky243x3acfa.png
shdaagy3tg06.png
t2oy3fctvbyi.png
Living Room
Parasound HINT 6, Yamaha Aventage RX-A 1060, Yamaha BD-S681, Cambridge Audio Azur 851N, Polk S60, Polk S30, Samsung 60" LED

Office
Cambridge Audio 851A, Auralic Aries Mini, LSiM 703s

Douglas Connection ICs and Cables

Comments

• gyosa
    gyosa Posts: 675
    Incorrect methodology ...

Download the tidal app , and stream to 851 via the tidal app.
    There will be a little “speaker” icon bottom left .... select 851n

Streaming anything thru airplay is inferior sound quality.

Bk
    Parasound A21 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Polk SDA 1c’s ( my first love .. ) , Kimber Kable 4TC, Sony 42” - BEDROOM

B&K EX-442 ( it will go in my casket when I die ... ) , PS Audio 4.6 preamp ( old school , but it still jams on ... ) , Yamaha wxc-50 , Boston Acoustic voyager 7’s - POOL

PS Audio Stellar S300 , Eversolo DMP-A8 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Kimber Kable 4vs , Salk Supercharged Song towers ( difficult choice between these and my family if I had to choose ... 😩 ) , Sony XBR-A8F 65” OLED - DEN , MAIN RIG

Cambridge Audio 851n - sitting in the closet , for now

Onkyo TX-nr609 , Polk atrium 7 , Boston acoustic sound ware (4) , Boston acoustic sub , B&W center , Sharp 65” TV - PATIO

DAYENS AMPINO ( thanks Verb ! ) , KEiiD streamer ( this was only 60 bucks ?? ) , Polk atrium 8SDi’s - KID’s BEDROOM
  • rburgess714
    rburgess714 Posts: 614
    edited January 2021
    gyosa wrote: »

Bk

Hey I may not have described the pre firmware update post update correctly .. I do have the app on my phone but with the new firmware you can launch the native Tidal app through CA Connect and it looks and operates as such. In both scenarios you tap the speaker and are given options of devices to stream. Where I am confused or possibly not explaining is that whether I launch Tidal from phone or the CA app both are streamed via Airplay to the 851n.
    Living Room
    Parasound HINT 6, Yamaha Aventage RX-A 1060, Yamaha BD-S681, Cambridge Audio Azur 851N, Polk S60, Polk S30, Samsung 60" LED

Office

• displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,126

Bk

Hey I may not have described the pre firmware update post update correctly .. I do have the app on my phone but with the new firmware you can launch the native Tidal app through CA Connect and it looks and operates as such. In both scenarios you tap the speaker and are given options of devices to stream. Where I am confused or possibly not explaining is that whether I launch Tidal from phone or the CA app both are streamed via Airplay to the 851n.
    Here's how it works on my CXN.
    Open the StreamMagic app, go to the device settings, make sure you have early update turned on, then download the latest firmware.

Once that's done, open the Tidal app. You don't need StreamMagic at all once Connect is going.
    On the available devices you should see your streamer with "TIDAL Connect" under it.
    ovv9uxgoqqat.jpg

On the unit display you'll likely see a slightly different look as well.
    kx71jxw7n8x0.jpg

This is assuming the 815 will be working the same as the CXN.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • I have the latest firmware and the 851 showing up as device to connect to but it doesn’t say Tidal connect. Perhaps the 851N doesn’t allow for Tidal Connect though the support site says it does. I opened a ticket with CA.

bpoi4b4jjigc.png
    Living Room

Office

• Got it there must have been a firmware upgrade issue on the phone app or phone issue. Regardless was able to upgrade...all set thanks.
    jnrypn7x9wsl.png
    Living Room

Office

• displayname
    I just want to say my favorite part of this update so far is not only completely bypassing StreamMagic, but also bypassing my phone. I'm able to just connect via Tidal on my computer now, which couldn't be done before. I'll still use the Tidal app on my phone regularly, but when I have my computer in front of me, it just saves another step. And no need to add StreamMagic to multiple devices (like tablets or other computers). As long as I have Tidal, I'm good to go. Still hoping this Connect feature just becomes the standard for all streaming services.

It still doesn't eliminate the need for apps for those using their own files, but for the streaming services, it's hard to beat.
    Discogs
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    I'm able to just connect via Tidal on my computer now

How are you doing this? I still haven't figured it out?

Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • gyosa
    Any glitches or problems with early update firmware ?
    Thinking about upgrading , but not to comfortable being a beta tester ...😂

Bk
    Parasound A21 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Polk SDA 1c’s ( my first love .. ) , Kimber Kable 4TC, Sony 42” - BEDROOM

B&K EX-442 ( it will go in my casket when I die ... ) , PS Audio 4.6 preamp ( old school , but it still jams on ... ) , Yamaha wxc-50 , Boston Acoustic voyager 7’s - POOL

PS Audio Stellar S300 , Eversolo DMP-A8 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Kimber Kable 4vs , Salk Supercharged Song towers ( difficult choice between these and my family if I had to choose ... 😩 ) , Sony XBR-A8F 65” OLED - DEN , MAIN RIG

Onkyo TX-nr609 , Polk atrium 7 , Boston acoustic sound ware (4) , Boston acoustic sub , B&W center , Sharp 65” TV - PATIO

DAYENS AMPINO ( thanks Verb ! ) , KEiiD streamer ( this was only 60 bucks ?? ) , Polk atrium 8SDi’s - KID’s BEDROOM
  • displayname
    audioluvr wrote: »

I can get a screenshot off the computer at some point, but just open Tidal on your computer. On the bottom right there is the same speaker logo that's on the phone app. Same process as the phone, just opposite side of the screen.
    Discogs
  • displayname

Bk

Only one very minor one so far.
    When playing from the computer, if I jump from a song playing in a playlist mid song to a new track from another album or playlist, the first note plays twice. A very minor thing, and only happens when I'm bouncing around mid track. It's pretty clean so far.
    Discogs
  • audioluvr

I can get a screenshot off the computer at some point, but just open Tidal on your computer. On the bottom right there is the same speaker logo that's on the phone app. Same process as the phone, just opposite side of the screen.

I only have the computer speakers as the option unless I plug in my USB cable. Still only shows "USB Audio" only on the 851 display. In the "More Settings" I can turn on/off three things, "Use Exclusive Mode", "Force Volume" and "Passthrough MQA" None of which I know whether I need on or not. Thoughts? Maybe I need to do a factory reset.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • displayname

I only have the computer speakers as the option unless I plug in my USB cable. Still only shows "USB Audio" only on the 851 display. In the "More Settings" I can turn on/off three things, "Use Exclusive Mode", "Force Volume" and "Passthrough MQA" None of which I know whether I need on or not. Thoughts? Maybe I need to do a factory reset.

Did you update the firmware on the Cambridge yet?
    Discogs
  • gyosa

Thanks !
    👍

Bk

Bk

Only one very minor one so far.
    When playing from the computer, if I jump from a song playing in a playlist mid song to a new track from another album or playlist, the first note plays twice. A very minor thing, and only happens when I'm bouncing around mid track. It's pretty clean so far.

• audioluvr
    Yes. I can use the Cambridge app on my phone for Tidal but that's all. The Tidal app on my phone does not have a speaker in the bottom left.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• displayname
    Yes. I can use the Cambridge app on my phone for Tidal but that's all. The Tidal app on my phone does not have a speaker in the bottom left.

Screen shot? You may need to update Tidal on your phone too.
    Discogs
  • displayname
    k7jbup1tk426.jpg
    This is what you should be looking for.
    Discogs
  • audioluvr
    edited February 2021
    When I click that I get this

vestfi9sc772.png
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    Router reboot? Just thinking out loud.
  • displayname
    Yeah, not sure. I updated Tidal, updated Cambridge, and everything was there flawlessly as promised.
    Discogs
  • audioluvr
    edited February 2021
    Tidal is updating all the time. Just updated again today. Nothing. I guess I'll try a factory reset on the 851 and see if that will let Tidal recognize it.

Update: Well that didn't do anything other than loose my presets...
    Post edited by audioluvr on
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• displayname
    Tidal is updating all the time. Just updated again today. Nothing. I guess I'll try a factory reset on the 851 and see if that will let Tidal recognize it.

Make sure you have early updates on the Cambridge turned on too.
    Discogs
  • audioluvr
    Factory refresh updates it to the latest everything. Yes auto update is on. Thinking it's got to be Tidal... which says it's updated.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• displayname
    Factory refresh updates it to the latest everything. Yes auto update is on. Thinking it's got to be Tidal... which says it's updated.

So auto update and early update are not the same in StreamMagic. Make sure early update is on too.
    0jnc9ldmm8dm.jpg
    Discogs
  • audioluvr
    Ah. That's in the streammagic app. I didn't have that installed. I was using the Cambridge app on my phone. That apparently updated the 851 better than the 851 does by itself! :D

Working now. no USB cable hooked to my computer any more! Yay!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• Hey interesting response I got back from CA support after having issues with TidalConnect, which I was able to resolve.

“Tidal Connect and AirPlay would both stream the same audio quality (CD-quality or 16/44.1kHz). Since the 851N does not have an MQA decoder, the 851N will not be able to unfold any MQA files sent to it, regardless of whether it is coming through AirPlay or Tidal Connect.

One advantage of using Tidal Connect is that it acts like a remote control for the unit and will not use as much of your device's battery. This is Similar to how the StreamMagic or Cambridge Connect act as a remote for your unit. AirPlay, on the other hand, will send the audio data to the 851N directly over your wifi network. The choice between the two, since the qualities will be the same), comes entirely down to personal preference.”
    Living Room

Office

• displayname
    Hey interesting response I got back from CA support after having issues with TidalConnect, which I was able to resolve.

“Tidal Connect and AirPlay would both stream the same audio quality (CD-quality or 16/44.1kHz). Since the 851N does not have an MQA decoder, the 851N will not be able to unfold any MQA files sent to it, regardless of whether it is coming through AirPlay or Tidal Connect.

One advantage of using Tidal Connect is that it acts like a remote control for the unit and will not use as much of your device's battery. This is Similar to how the StreamMagic or Cambridge Connect act as a remote for your unit. AirPlay, on the other hand, will send the audio data to the 851N directly over your wifi network. The choice between the two, since the qualities will be the same), comes entirely down to personal preference.”
    That makes sense. I don't use Airplay (android/pc), but the logic makes sense. Does Airplay do gapless playback? The big downside of Chromecast on the CXN was that it wasn't gapless.
    Discogs
  • gyosa
    here's what I don't get...... I understand the 851 can't unfold mqa tracks , but if Mconnect can do the first unfold and send it to the 851 why can't tidal connect do the first unfold and send it to the 851 ?

I don't really care about mqa , per se , just like the higher bitrate the first unfold gives ....

Bk

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,558
    Just say no to DRM.
  • Hey interesting response I got back from CA support after having issues with TidalConnect, which I was able to resolve.

That makes sense. I don't use Airplay (android/pc), but the logic makes sense. Does Airplay do gapless playback? The big downside of Chromecast on the CXN was that it wasn't gapless.

I think AirPlay does do gapless but I have been using Tidal Connect with the new update.

On a different note I have noticed on longer tracks it will drop or cutoff at 6 or 7 minutes. This didn’t happen with Tidal through StreamMagic but using the native Tidal app is so much better and I would think this bugs will be worked out over time.
    Living Room

Office