Phono Cartridge Recommendation

Options
So I have a Pro-Ject RPM-10 coming in that doesn't have a cartridge (an offer I simply couldn't refuse). Normally here in the states, if you do the package deal, they throw in a Sumiko Blackbird MC cartridge. However, before I spend $1000. on a cartridge, I want know if anyone has any other suggestions in that $1000 price range?
2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.

Comments

• tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,662
    edited February 2021
    Options
    The Hanas are getting a lot of attention in the marketplace. I would like to try one on my Denon table.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, WAY Silver 3 Ana+ Speaker Cables, WAY Silver 4+ Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,129
    Options
    I don't see a lot of people gravitating towards the Sumiko carts unless they are bundled with the TT. I would speak with a local dealer who may be in a position to demo a couple carts. Hana does get high praise and would be on my list, but I would also want to consider less common carts like Soundsmith and Van Dan Hul.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,000
    Options
    @xsmi Are you going to get another phonostage as well...or do you already have another one besides your Pro-ject Phono Box MM?
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,049
    Options
    Easy choice and there's one fs here in the Polk marketplace; Clearaudio Stradivari.
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,513
    Options
    I got an email from Osage Audio just yesterday including a special on the Hana ML, regularly $1200. Now $1000 until the 12th. Not sure if the high-output version is included. If that was my budget, I’d consider it along with models from Soundsmith, Clearaudio and others.
  • xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,786
    Options
    jdjohn wrote: »
    @xsmi Are you going to get another phonostage as well...or do you already have another one besides your Pro-ject Phono Box MM?

I have a Schiit right now, but it’s coming with a Moon LP3. This little Schiit has been amazing though, especially for the money.
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,662
    Options
    Easy choice and there's one fs here in the Polk marketplace; Clearaudio Stradivari.

I forgot about this. If John still has it then its a no brainer.

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/193056/clearaudio-stradivari-wonderful-mc-cartridge-1000-00-obo#latest
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, WAY Silver 3 Ana+ Speaker Cables, WAY Silver 4+ Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • jdjohn
    Options
    SpongeBob bought that.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • xsmi
    Options
    I thought so.
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,049
    Options
    Sorry I didn't see where he'd bought it. But I'm glad he did as I was thinking about it as a back up for my Strad :) .
  • xsmi
    Options
    Also, reading today, this machine normally comes with a Sumiko Sterling which is $1800. that's almost how much I gave for the less than one year old table.
  • jdjohn
    Options
    Sorry I didn't see where he'd bought it. But I'm glad he did as I was thinking about it as a back up for my Strad :) .
    Yeah, they did the deal over in this thread: https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/comment/2628472#Comment_2628472
  • xsmi
    Options
    So, I've talked to several retailers who said that the Sterling/RPM-10 combination is magical. However, with the two phono pre's that I will have, they recommend not spending almost two grand on a cartridge unless I am also open to spending a grand to get a pre to get the most out of that cartridge. Two of the three recommended the Songbird the other, the Hana M.
  • jdjohn
    Options
    I would like to try a Hana someday. I'd probably go for the SL.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,599
    Options
  • xsmi
    Options
    So, I ended up buying local and getting the Sumiko Blackbird. And because its going to take up to 10 days I was given a Grado Green to use in the meantime.
  • jdjohn
    Options
    Well you should hear a marked difference between those two! Congrats on the Blackbird, and keep us posted B)
  • soundfreak1
    soundfreak1 Posts: 3,386
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Heard good things about this cartridge: https://www.lpgear.com/product/atc01.html

I have the AT OC9ml the original and simply love it to death.
    Main Rig:
    Krell KAV 250a biamped to mid/highs
    Parasound HCA1500A biamped to lows
    Nakamichi EC100 Active xover
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    Perreaux SA33 class A preamp
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    Lehmann audio black cube SE phono pre, Audioquest phono wire (ITA1/1)
    Denon DP-1200 TT. AToc9ML MC cart.
    Monster HTS 3600 power conditioner
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • jdjohn
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Heard good things about this cartridge: https://www.lpgear.com/product/atc01.html

I have the AT OC9ml the original and simply love it to death.
    The original and MkII are lower compliance, so need a heavier arm. The MkIII has higher compliance, although does run at a slightly higher VTF...go figure. The original version I have is tired and probably needs a retip at this point; I bought it cheap with an unknown number of hours on it. My MkIII still sings like a bird!
  • soundfreak1
    Options
    If I'm not mistaken there is a difference in the stylus and cantilever type between the original and following editions as well. bought mine new so I still have lots of life.
    Main Rig:
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • jdjohn
    Options
    If I'm not mistaken there is a difference in the stylus and cantilever type between the original and following editions as well. bought mine new so I still have lots of life.
    Indeed:
    oh3v7d3ke0ls.jpg
    Image borrowed from here: https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=104718 but you have to look through the whole thread as the 'grid' was updated along the way. Many iterations of the OC9 over the years, but there's no mistaking that body-style.
  • soundfreak1
    Options
    This is the one I have.ol5ug09oqbz3.jpg
    Main Rig:
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • jdjohn
    Options
    Someone in that thread on VE has one like that as well. The 'ML' sticker indicates how it was a transitional model between the original OC9 and the OC9ML/II. Instead of printing new boxes, they just put the sticker on to differentiate between the original OC9 with elliptical tip, and this ML version with micro-line. Rare and cool!
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,185
    Options
    The OC9ML/II was my favorite cartridge back when I had a phono stage that could do .4mV MC. Since I built my Pass DIY Pearl phono stage, I've had to stick to MM or high output MC. Still trying to find the perfect one that doesn't break the bank. I've had a vintage AT15SA for many years, replaced the stylus with a NOS original at one point about 12 years ago. It just doesn't pull the music out of the groove like that ML tip does.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • soundfreak1
    Options
    I'm partial to the ML, loved the ML on the old Shure V-15iii I had. But this oC9ml just floats my boat.
    Main Rig:
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,518
    Options
    @xsmi
    Congrats on the Blackbird and the RPM10

Wow, I’m sure that’s a fantastic analog set up you got there
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • xsmi
    Options
    Joey_V wrote: »
    @xsmi
    Congrats on the Blackbird and the RPM10

Wow, I’m sure that’s a fantastic analog set up you got there

Thanks Joey. I'm happy with it, I just need to get the SRS's dialed in. Right now, the sound stage is skewed to the right.