Need Help Identifying Polk 10's

I picked these 10's up this week and would like some help identifying the year

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Spidey7 wrote: »
    I picked these 10's up this week and would like some help identifying the year

Maybe try front picture with grills off and the whole front face
  • Ok I thought people might be able to identify by the number
  • Spidey7
    Spidey7 Posts: 7
    edited February 2021
    How do you know they are B’s?
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,087
    edited February 2021
    I currently own four pair of 10's. One pair labeled "10"; w/Peerless tweeter and one fuse. Two labeled "10A"; both with one fuse, one w/Peerless tweeter, the other with the SL-1000 tweeter. I also own a pair of 10B's, I bought brand new, exactly like the one you posted, with beveled front edges, no fuse. They are labeled only "10" then the S/N on the back. The original shipping boxes had a big letter "B" stamped on them after Monitor 10 "B".
  • aprazer402
    mt9v9vacb76x.jpg

These are the three 10's I own. The 10B's are hidden behind.
  • Can you identify my Tweeter?
  • So these are the least desirable Tweeters ?
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Well 10b had both sl1000 and sl2000 tweeters correct? Was there a 10C or was the next step series 2 with SL2500
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,635
    Drop in a pair of RD0194's and rebuild the crossovers.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • aprazer402
    edited February 2021
    Spidey7 wrote: »
    So these are the least desirable Tweeters ?

To many, yes they are the least desirable. Meaning there is a better replacement available.

The SL-2000 tweeter is not that bad (depending on your use and your gear). Polk sold probably tens of thousands of them in many speaker models for many years. Polk was a highly thought of speaker manufacturer during those years.

If your using them with mid-fi components and not staying put directly in a sweet spot doing "critical listening", the SL-2000 may serve you fine.

If these are your first Polk speakers and these Monitor 10B's are new to you, give yourself some time with them as they are.

If you are an audiophile, we don't know as this was your first post, maybe you have upgraded many speakers before, then we recommend the newer RD0194 tweeter followed by a crossover upgrade.

As you get into the older Monitor series, and like, you may possibly climb up the chain to the larger SDA's, then the SDA SRS. So you may want to wait updating the 10's. My four sets of 10's are untouched. I have larger SDA's which would be of greater use to me updated. I also have three sets of Monitor 7's I will update before any Monitor 10's. I believe the 7's sound better than the 10's in a smaller room.

Let us know what the rest of your equipment is, what types of music you listen to etc.

In any case welcome! :)
    Post edited by aprazer402 on
  • stevep
    stevep Posts: 327
    edited February 2021
    After the Monitor 10B with the SL 2000, like yours, there was a Monitor 10 Series 2.

wzmpku9r3e2t.jpg
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited February 2021
    Monitor 10bs w/peerless got me LOVING Polk speakers. <3

I like classic rock and they fit the sound I want when I listen to that kind.
    I also do stuff when listening to my 10b's.

After those first 10b's, I acquired many Polk Speakers in many series and sizes.

It was like smoking crack from what I hear about that dreadful drug. You get ONE pair...then it's on and on and on. :D<3

Collecting Polk speakers is a million times better than crack though! ;)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • I owned a pair of 7B's. I believe that model (with the exposed bottom cabinet edge) had a SL1000 tweeter? The tweeter dome was black on a flat-faced black plate. I much prefer the overall more substantial sound of the 10B's. The 7B's sounded less prominent on the top end when compared with the 10B or SDA SRS2.3's. Maybe because of the different tweeter type? So, matching tweeter types when mixing different models in a speaker system would not be a bad idea. My 10B's and 2.3's have the SL2000 tweeters. Without hearing a better Polk tweeter in comparison, the SL2000's sound very smooth, and non-fatiguing.

I own a pair of Lsi15's. Although they can play very loud and clean, I still prefer the more laid-back musical sound of my RTA12C's. They are labeled with a "c" in the model code on the rear terminal plate.

I have seen pictures of other RTA12C's with what looked like newer version tweeters.
    It seems that running-change tweeters were installed into my pair of RTA12C's. The tweeter domes and their flat plates are silver color. Are these SL1000 tweeters in a 12C? Are there any sonic differences based upon the tweeter/tweeter plate color? Overall, I prefer the sound of the RTA12C's over that of the 10B's. The more compact 10B's are still VERY much keepers nevertheless.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    the SL2000's sound very smooth, and non-fatiguing
    LOL......I suggest you have your hearing checked.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,635
    ^^^^Agree^^^^
    The only time I found 10B's with SL2K's tolerable for any extended period, is when we were running a band-saw and I had hearing protection employed as well.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • Faustin
    Faustin Posts: 1,149
    The black dome, black plate tweeters were more than likely Peerless. The silver face plate tweeters are the SL 1000 that came after the Peerless.
  • I'm new to the forum, only day 2. I have several sets of Polks but newer stuff, still 20 years old. I just acquired a pair of 10Bs, it's in the serial on the back and look exactly like the pic from Spidey7. I plan on setting up a "listening room" and just getting into it. I've always had vinyl and just getting back into it after years. I have a Yamaha HTR-5590 which is pretty decent to me but I'm building. I have a Sansui AU-D9 and AU-D7 and several turntables, nothing to brag on except sticking to a strict budget...lol. I purchased new a month ago the Wharfedale Lintons Herritage, while only set up temporary (not placed properly) they sound really good. Been shopping for old vintage stuff for ages and the Lintons confirmed it. The 10bs were $100 and they look pretty good, could redo the grills. The thing is 1 tweeter doesn't work, verified by listening, switching between speakers and checked with a ohm meter. I think I'm keeping them anyway, is it worth it? Sorry for being so long winded here, just wanted to give some back ground and were I was going. Been looking at all the post here and it was a big help, I'm confused by what I found. They are 10bs and the tweeter matches the pics of the SL2000, but the tweeters say otherwise. I'm going to attempt to post a couple pics and if you look at the front it says, "POLK AUDIO" and "Silver Coil Dome" and has horizontal lead wires. On the back it says, just under Polk Audio, it has SL-1000. Has anyone else seen this? Again, is it worth it? Where to go from here? Thanks for the help!r3b1icp550xd.jpg
    u3mbsh6jjypi.jpg

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    edited August 2022
    That's definitely an SL2000. As for the label....someone not paying attention perhaps.

You can and should replace both tweeters with the RD0194, which is a drop in replacement. If you want to go deeper you can upgrade the crossover components and if you want to go off the deep end you can do the TL upgrade, which is a bit more involved, but allows you to use the RD0198 tweeter.

Welcome to Club Polk :)
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk