Best DSD DAC under $400

CH46E
CH46E Posts: 3,521
edited January 2021 in 2 Channel Audio
I had really good luck with "Best Tube Pre Amp under $500" I ended up with @JayCee Sonic Frontiers Anthem Pre 2L with Mundorf Supreme caps. I absolutely love the Anthem.

So, my next endeavor is a new DSD DAC (For SACDs) . Right now I run CD, HDCDs, SACD and DVD-Audio discs through my Marantz UD7007 I picked up from @geppy1 .

Now, I'm looking for a DAC that will Direct Stream DSD through Optic. I have a really nice, older, AQ optilink 5 I would like to put to use.

Nothing wrong with the Marantz, but I just can't help but think, a stand alone DSD DAC will sound better. Not sure where I got that Idea (Thanks Polk Audio Forum ;) ).

I've been reading about different chip sets. But it appears that the implementation of any chip is more important than the chip itself???????

Any Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I did reach out to Schiit. They said none of their DACs will decode DSD.

Thanks guy! And I believe one Gal here.

Comments

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited January 2021
    Wouldn’t a CD player that plays SACDs be a better choice than a DAC that accepts SACD input? What will you use to provide input to the DAC? Does anyone even make a DSD DAC, let alone for $400?

I would suggest a used Sony XA5400ES SACD player. I have one and love it, even though I rarely play it anymore.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,862
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • CH46E
    edited January 2021
    The DAC in my Marantz is from 2014. Its a Texas Instrument PXM-1795 DAC, IIRC. I thought maybe something newer with a possibly better clock would yield a favorable sonic result.

That Sony is still a $1,000 plus player. Well out side my $400 budget.
  • CH46E
    edited January 2021
    And having a stand alone dac with USB will give me some great options for dsd streaming. I have many songs on a thumb drive in DSD format. MQA would be nice but not one of my requirements.
  • CH46E
    marvda1 wrote: »

Ooh, I did see that one on a list. Even new its affordable. Thanks!

Would you all suspect it would out perform the Marantz UD7007 internal dac?
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    edited January 2021
    Not sure about what you are trying to achieve but when comparing a Denon DVD 2900 I bought here playing SACD's to streaming via my Cambridge Audio 851n I am hard pressed to say the Denon built in 2004 is better, but it is. Not sure age is a bad thing as many recordings were made and digitized on vintage (digital) equipment. Just a thought...
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • CH46E
    edited January 2021
    I have a Denon DVD-2910 that I was using for SACD and DVD-Audio. The Marantz is clearly better. But it is 10+ years newer also.

Streaming is my least issue. I download from various sites for DSD and FLAC. I then transfer them to a thumb drive. Other than that, I use the actual discs. I thought maybe a stand alone DAC might be better than the dac in my 7 year old Marantz.

Or am I mistaken?
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    "Better" is subjective. There's no hard and fast rule that a newer standalone DAC will sound "better" than the DAC inside the Marantz.
  • CH46E
    ****. I just looked and realized my Marantz has no optical out..... aaarraag
  • CH46E
    edited January 2021
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Yeah typically anything that plays SACDs will not output the DSD stream digitally.

Ok. Starting to make sense. Maybe I'll just stick with the Marantz then. :/

Maybe I'll spend the $400 on some quality speaker cables. I would need 30 ft cables.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,923
    edited January 2021
    Clipdat wrote: »
    "Better" is subjective. There's no hard and fast rule that a newer standalone DAC will sound "better" than the DAC inside the Marantz.

or, conversely :# "better" is objective. Now you're in ASR territory. :)
    Note that I am not making a judgement, either way. Just stating the (obvious) dichotomy -- 'cause the Elephant in the room (I'd opine) is "does measuring better make for better sound, or the converse [measuring worse makes better sound], or are the qualitative & quantitative uncorrelated?"

Oh - plus - I have long believed (and I still do) that the analog [EDIT] interface on the output side of the DAC is at least as important to the end result (i.e., what one hears) as the number crunching of the DAC (chip/chipset) itself.

That's as close to profundity as I am gonna get on only a single cup of coffee. ;)

• mhardy6647
    edited January 2021
    Rick88 wrote: »
    ... Also, some universal players convert SACD/DSD to PCM before outputting from the analog outs...

Most of 'em (at least the popularly priced ones) do this -- don't they?
    DSD to PCM before D to A conversion. Pretty brute force (IMO, and my O isn't particularly informed, in full disclosure).

:|

Pretty sure that the two cheapies here do that. :/

This freebie pile Samsung, e.g.

48976262107_fc1a755fcc_b.jpgDSC_7312 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • CH46E
    Thanks to everyone for the input. I had the wrong idea of what I could and couldn't do with a dac.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    edited January 2021
    The one thing about older Denon uni-players was the Denon-link. Pre HDMI release to carry a digital SACD/DVD-A the Denon link was an asset. The only problem for most was this was only available from one Denon player to Denon receiver.

Denon link was the only approved digital connection for SACD/DVD-A for a long time.
  • CH46E
    Looks like ill just stick with the analog outs from the ud7007 to the Anthem for sacd.
  • CH46E
    So other than regular CDs what is the benefit of using a stand alone dac?
  • audioluvr
    If you rip your own music off LP' s to a hard drive.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • CH46E
    audioluvr wrote: »

That is definitely not my cup of vodka. (Tea)
  • sgmsmg
    sgmsmg Posts: 542
    It is a different price point but my Bryston BDA-3 will accept the DSD signal from my Oppo (via HDMI) and it plays it as a DSD signal. Works great for my limited collection of SACDs.
    2 Channel
    Pre:Bryston BP173
    Amp:Bryston 14B3
    Speakers: Golden Ear Triton Reference
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Bryston BDA-3, Bryston BDP-3, Bryston BCD-3, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 Speaker, Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 XLR, AQ Diamond USB/HDMI
    Power: PS Audio P10 Regenerator, AC12, AC10 and AC5 Cables
    Display: Sony XBR65Z9F

Home Theater
    Pre: Anthem AVM90/JBL SDP-55
    Amps: Parasound A31, A51x2
    Speakers: Polk LSiM 707 (FL/FR), Polk LSiM706 (Center), LSiM 703 (SL/SR/SBL/SBR), Polk 900-LS (Atmos)
    Subwoofers: SVS SB16 x 4
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: AQ Meteor/Rocket 88, AQ Niagara/Sky
    Power: Torus AVR20, Shunyata Denali, Shunyata Delta, Cullen, PangeaAC9SE Cables
    Display: Sony XBR85Z9G
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    CH46E wrote: »
    So other than regular CDs what is the benefit of using a stand alone dac?

The benefit is you can upgrade it as a better DAC becomes available. The drawback is you need an interconnect cable between the CD player and the DAC, and a power cable for the DAC. Plan for around $4K for those two cables.

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • CH46E
    Ok thanks guys.

I run my Marantz ud7007 to my Anthem pre2l. The Anthem has only analog inputs. But my Yamaha Aventage HTR has all the inputs including digital DSD.

I feel so torn right now! 🤔😏😑
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Your putting too much importance on DSD.

Quality gear will trump formats any day....in my book anyway.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited January 2021
    I just got this DROP email offer. I don't know anything about the product but it looks nice on paper.
    https://drop.com/buy/smsl-su-9-dac#overview
    SMSL SU-9 DAC - $460
    Staying on the cutting edge of digital-to-audio conversion, SMSL has unveiled the new SU-9: an instrument-grade DAC optimized for convenience and crystal-clear decoding. Powered by the flagship ES9038PRO SABRE DAC, the SU-9 can decode 32-bit, 768-kilohertz PCM and native DSD512 with an impressive 132-decibel dynamic range. It’s also capable of next-gen MQA decoding to unpack the precise details of original studio recordings as the artists intended. Plus, its noise floor is remarkably low, yielding a total harmonic distortion plus noise (THD + N) rating of just 0.00009 percent. For optimal convenience, the SU-9 can connect via Bluetooth 5.0 with support for 24-bit transmission of lossless codecs like aptX LL, aptX HD, LDAC, and more. It’s also remote-controllable and stackable with SMSL’s SH-9 amp. Finally, to help you dial in your sound, the SU-9 features 11 digital filters and four sound-color settings.

SPECS
    SMSL
    DAC chip: ES9038PRO
    MQA decoding
    Sampling: 32-bit / 768 kHz and DSD512
    Inputs: USB, optical, coaxial, Bluetooth
    Outputs: RCA, XLR
    Bluetooth version: 5.0
    Bluetooth codecs supported: LDAC, APTX/ HD, SBC, AAC, 24-bit / 192kHz
    Display: 1.9 in (4.8 cm) LCD display
    THD+N: 0.00009%
    DNR: 130 dB (XLR), 123 dB (RCA)
    SNR: 130 dB
    Output impedance: 207 ohms (XLR), 142 ohms (RCA)
    Sound color settings: Rich1, Rich2, Rich3, Tube1, Tube2, Tube3, Crystal1, Crystal2, Crystal3
    Brightness control: 6 levels
    DSD filters: 47 kHz cutoff, 50 kHz cutoff, 60 kHz cutoff, 70 kHz cutoff
    PCM filters: Fast linear, slow linear, fast minimum, slow minimum, fast hybrid, apodizing, brickwall
    Power consumption: 5 W
    Power consumption (standby mode): < 0.5 W
    Dimensions: 7.5 x 6 x 1.5 in (18.8 x 15.4 x 4 cm)
    Weight: Weight: 1.7 lbs (790 g)
    INCLUDED
    Remote
    USB cable

Estimated ship date is Mar 3, 2021 PT.

zs5KpCMpTFa8NIbSRXl5_1.jpg?auto=format&fm=jpg&fit=crop&w=540&bg=f0f0f0&dpr=1&q=70
    c7uWNfd7RIysf0glcPDq_3.jpg?auto=format&fm=jpg&fit=crop&w=540&bg=f0f0f0&dpr=1&q=70
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • CH46E
    tonyb wrote: »

I think you might be right Tony.

My Marantz has XLR outputs. Would I gain anything at all going with XLR to rca cables? No XLR input on my pre.
  • audioluvr
    No You don't have the advantage of balanced and shielding.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 4,981
    tonyb wrote: »

Bingo! The quality of the original recording speaks volumes, all the DSD, Hi-Res won't make a lick of difference to a lousy recording.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • mhardy6647
    CH46E wrote: »
    audioluvr wrote: »

That is definitely not my cup of vodka. (Tea)

You can "rip" them (as the cool, hep kids say) from your tape deck, too!

B)

12180738084_955068c903_c.jpg8trackin2 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr