So I built some stuff...

Options
Sent we bought this house 1.5 years ago we have been slowly filling it with furniture. I built this buffet for the dining room. We will top it with a light colored marble top. It’s not perfect, but I’m pretty happy with it...don’t judge me uncle jesser!

2ftu5zm97y3d.jpeg
a33nbuh3map0.jpeg
Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
Game Room 5.1.4:
Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer

Comments

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,474
    Options
    Nice, Paul!

You forgot to mention that you have four subs inside, right? Right?
    I disabled signatures.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,981
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    Nice, Paul!

You forgot to mention that you have four subs inside, right? Right?

Dammit Scott I knew I forgot something!!!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,830
    Options
    You made me laugh. I don't build furniture, too much of a PITA. I restore, repair, refinish, etc.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Thorton
    Thorton Posts: 1,324
    Options
    That looks great rooftop!
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,081
    Options
    I see that some people named Paul actually have some woodworking skills. That looks really nice.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,315
    Options
    Nice work!!
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,915
    Options
    Very nice!
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,528
    Options
    Really nice. Awesome in fact.
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • rooftop59
    Options
    Thanks guys! And my wife would insist I tell you that we will also paint the hinges so they won’t stand out as much. She really wanted hidden hinges, but she married a man with limited skills 😂
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • TEAforONE
    TEAforONE Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Very nice builds!
    See my profile for list of gear.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    Options
    Hidden hinges are easy.

Besides, unless I'm wrong, that looks painted. Paint hides many sins.

All you need is a Forstner bit the proper size for the hinge pockets of the hinges you got. If you're careful and steady, you don't need a drill press or mortising press to do it. You can use a hand drill. Just not a cheapy, weak one, needs some power to it because Forstner bits are like spade/paddle bits or hole saws and remove a significant amount of material quickly. A weak drill will bind up and jerk itself around because it doesn't have the power to muscle through it.

But you can get a Forstner bit set for $9 from Harbor Freight that will serve the purpose you need. They shouldn't dull too quick so you can get more uses out of them than a one and done. If you get in to it more, you can get better bits later on.

https://www.harborfreight.com/14-in-1-in-forstner-drill-bit-set-with-38-in-shanks-7-pc-62361.html?cid=paid_google|||62361&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=&utm_content=&msclkid=bfcb13700c041c7b383f7375b8037bcd

The purpose of a Forstner bit is that it drills a flat bottomed hole so you can set stuff like pocket hinges or dowels that will be permanently attached and need a level hole base for proper contact. It also means you won't have a pilot hole poking through your finished surfaces either.

If you get the cabinet hinges you need, you don't need super huge ones. They are just small-ish doors and something like this will work fine:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Blum-Full-Nickel-Plated-Self-Closing-Concealed-Cabinet-Hinge/3576264

They come with templates and instructions so all you have to do is use the bit that is the right size and follow the instructions.

If you have a drill, preferably corded and at least 5 amps, you're good to go. If you don't, you can pick up an inexpensive drill at Harbor Freight that will last for how long you're going to need it, for sure. Like this one:

https://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-75-a-heavy-duty-variable-speed-reversible-hammer-drill-56404.html

Or, you can get a drill that you'll pass on to someone after you're dead and it will do whatever you need it to do and get something like this:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-8-Amp-1-2-in-Magnum-Drill-0299-20/100026817

Lastly, don't worry about the old hinges and screw holes. You can easily fill them with filler and since it's painted, they will be easy to hide. Especially since it's a dark color.

To do that, you get yourself a can of this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/DAP-Plastic-Wood-4-oz-White-Solvent-Wood-Filler-21412/100493605?

Preferably in white. It is the least likely to change the shade of the paint you used. You smear it in to the holes until they are filled. Get the DAP stuff linked, though, it's a cellulose based resin that dries hard and doesn't shrink like other wood fillers can. Also, even if it hardens in the can, you put some acetone in and let it sit overnight and it will soften again and be ready to use. Just make sure you pack the holes and leave enough to sand.

You can then take 220 grit sand paper and sand the filled parts. No worries if you sand off paint too. Just make sure you get smooth transitions. Slide your fingers over the sanded parts, you'll feel inconsistencies. Sand until it's smooth. You can primer the spots if you want but they are small enough that it shouldn't be a big deal. You can just paint with color, especially since it's so dark. If I'm wrong and it's stained, the Platstic Wood takes stains pretty well and still hides. Especially with dark stains. If the piece is stained, though, and not painted, you'll want to get one of the Plastic Wood colors that is close to the natural color of the wood so it creates a more homogeneous surface to repair the staining.

If you do attempt this and want to practice, you can usually get scraps of wood from a Lowe's or Home Depot off the in-store cutting rig. They typically have piles they either sell in bulk for pennies or they'll just give you. Especially if you are buying something else at the time. If not, just buy a 2x4x6 for like $3-$5 and a hand saw or have them cut it up for in you 2 foot lengths. Then you can mess around and get the hang of it before you go attacking your finished product.

Besides, if you mess it up, I will tell you how to make a round dutchman so you can start over and your mistake will only be known to you. That's one of the beauties of painted furniture, it's very forgiving of mistakes. Additionally, you'll be making holes on the inside where nobody's going to see them without actively looking for them so even better!
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • rooftop59
    Options
    TEAforONE wrote: »
    Very nice builds!

Thanks! They aren’t perfect, but they save me a ton of $$$ and I can build them exactly how to want...
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • rooftop59
    Options
    Hey thx @heiney9! Very helpful. It is painted, but the doors are about 21x31 and made of MDF; they are heavy!! And they are attached to trim pieces that are only 5/8 deep I think, so that is another reason why I am not sure if those hidden hinges would work, but I will look into them! I have a good drill and some bits similar to what you are taking about. They are what I use to drill larger holes to run speaker wire lol...
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,652
    Options
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    Hey thx @heiney9! Very helpful. It is painted, but the doors are about 21x31 and made of MDF; they are heavy!! And they are attached to trim pieces that are only 5/8 deep I think, so that is another reason why I am not sure if those hidden hinges would work, but I will look into them! I have a good drill and some bits similar to what you are taking about. They are what I use to drill larger holes to run speaker wire lol...

Umm, or @Jstas
  • rooftop59
    Options
    rooftop59 wrote: »

Umm, or @Jstas

Oh man thx ken! Yes thanks @Jstas!
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,072
    Options
    https://www.rockler.com/jig-it-deluxe-concealed-hinge-drilling-system

Works amazing, will easily support heavy doors with the right hinges as well

Great looking build!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Jstas
    Options
    That jig could probably be found cheaper elsewhere without the Rockler branding on it. But it does make cutting the pockets simpler. The pockets are standard sizes, usually in metric 'cause the guy who invented them was Scandinavian or Danish or something and still owns patent rights, I believe. I know he makes a friggin' fortune off licensing to IKEA suppliers.

But even if the doors are solid MDF, Blum's cheapest and smallest hinge will still support upwards of 5 pounds for a single hinge. Two hinges per door will easily hold 10 pounds, probably more like 15. I doubt your MDF doors are heavy enough to stress it.

My dad built a solid oak cabinet to cover his gun safe and made solid oak, raised panel doors that were 6.5 feet tall and 20 inches wide. Used 3 of those hinges on each door. He did that 20 years ago now and they still open and close like the day he made them.

Also, those hinges only seem to need a 11mm deep pocket which is 7/16ths of an inch. So a 5/8ths door will still have 3/16ths of material behind the pocket. It's not the depth of the pocket that supports the door anyway. It's the screws that hold the hinge plate flush with the door and cabinet frame to limit lateral movement and the bore size of the pocket for the hinge needs to fit the cup snugly so it transfers the weight to the hinge structure on the cabinet frame. The pocket should be cut fairly snug so the hinge fits in it and then the hinge can support the weight of the door without sagging or causing excess stress.

It is totally worth doing. You won't screw your cabinte up as long as you take your time and plan it out. It's not hard to do, just tedious but it will get you high WAF and you won't have to deal with paint flaking from the chromed hinges you already have there in a few years. There's no need to paint the hinges either.

• rooftop59
    edited January 2021
    Options
    I’m definitely going to look into those hinges @Jstas. Thx!
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • Jstas
    Options
    So I went lookin' for that jig and I found a knock off Chinese one that's totally made of plastic and I'm not even linking to it 'cause I don't like it. It's not nearly as robust as what that Rockler jig uses. Even if it was glass fiber reinforced nylon, it was flimsy looking. I wouldn't use it so I'm not going to tell anyone else to use it. So at $100, that's a worthy investment since it's made well enough to last a while.

Alternatively, there is a jig from Kreg that you can probably pick up from Home Depot or Lowe's right now for about $30-$45. Amazon has it too. It'll only set up a single pocket at a time so you have to get your measurements right but at least it's got graduated markings to help with that. It's only about $25-$30 bucks.

https://www.amazon.com/Kreg-Tool-Company-KHI-HINGE-Concealed/dp/B01JQ74FMQ?th=1

The nice thing about both jigs is that they have collars for the Forstner bit that comes with the set that will keep it pretty straight and true but the supplied bits also have stop collars so you can't drill the pockets too deep.

Normally I'd just measure my pocket depth on a Forstner bit and put masking tape at my desired depth and drill until I reached the tape. But I've done this quite a few times before. A jig would have been super helpful instead of punching a 1" hole through a door panel the first time I did it by hand and then having to rebuild the entire panel because I screwed up.

• rooftop59
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Jstas wrote: »
    So I went lookin' for that jig and I found a knock off Chinese one that's totally made of plastic and I'm not even linking to it 'cause I don't like it. It's not nearly as robust as what that Rockler jig uses. Even if it was glass fiber reinforced nylon, it was flimsy looking. I wouldn't use it so I'm not going to tell anyone else to use it. So at $100, that's a worthy investment since it's made well enough to last a while.

Alternatively, there is a jig from Kreg that you can probably pick up from Home Depot or Lowe's right now for about $30-$45. Amazon has it too. It'll only set up a single pocket at a time so you have to get your measurements right but at least it's got graduated markings to help with that. It's only about $25-$30 bucks.

https://www.amazon.com/Kreg-Tool-Company-KHI-HINGE-Concealed/dp/B01JQ74FMQ?th=1

The nice thing about both jigs is that they have collars for the Forstner bit that comes with the set that will keep it pretty straight and true but the supplied bits also have stop collars so you can't drill the pockets too deep.

Normally I'd just measure my pocket depth on a Forstner bit and put masking tape at my desired depth and drill until I reached the tape. But I've done this quite a few times before. A jig would have been super helpful instead of punching a 1" hole through a door panel the first time I did it by hand and then having to rebuild the entire panel because I screwed up.

that kreg looks perfect, and the price is right! thanks!

I have this and love it, use it for basically every build I do:

https://www.amazon.com/Kreg-K4-Pocket-Hole-System/dp/B001DYFISG?ref_=ast_sto_dp
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • Jstas
    Options
    Yeah, those are nice, my dad has one of the original Kreg ones made from billet aluminum. We've both used it often. We hid every fastener in the bar in the basement at my old house with it which is why the bar counter top looked like it was floating over the pedestal. But it's a pocket hole jig for fasteners. Won't work for the "European hinge" pocket holes.

• tomcurren
    Options
    looks pretty nice!
    Can you do me a favor by telling what kind of wood you use?
  • Jstas
    Options
    Spam.

He uses spam.

• rooftop59
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Ordered the Kreg and some European hinges off of Amazon and got them installed. Putting the hinges on the doors was not a problem. Retrofitting the cabinet to fit the doors with the new hinges was 😂. Still need to do some touch up and adjustments (these hinges are pretty cool since they are six way adjustable) and we haven’t ordered the marble top yet, but hopefully this week!
    0blbrchrh9hp.jpeg
    xg3d3vo05t2p.jpeg
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Options
    Very nice work and extremely rewarding for your efforts. 2 Thumbs Up
  • rooftop59
    Options
    Thanks mike! I really hope we can get the top this week!
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • Jstas
    Options
    Told you you could do it.

Looks even better now and I'll bet the wife is ecstatic.

• rooftop59
    Options
    Jstas wrote: »
    Told you you could do it.

Looks even better now and I'll bet the wife is ecstatic.

Thanks man! Yea she keeps it low key but she definitely likes it better this way!
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • Jstas
    Options
    Did you get the marble top for this yet?

Any pitchurs?