LSIM 703 vs S20 bookshelf speakers

I have a full stack of Polk RTi series in my media room in the basement(7.2 and 2 for zone 2), love them so much that I want a pair of Polk bookshelves in my main floor. I want it for a 30 X 11 feet room, 8 feet height.
Would it be better to go for a brand new S20 or a resale Lsim 703.
Will be exclusively used for music and my listening preference is Calvin Harris, Kygo, Dua Lipa, Avici and the likes. Kindly recommend.

Best Answers

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Answer ✓
    Those LSiMs are really fun speakers, and my initial thought is to go in that direction. I think @msg compared the two directly and slightly preferred the 703s but it was closer than expected.

I will say that you need the right amp for the 703s to sound their best. Lots of guys like the little Dayens amps with them, I loved my Rotel RB-993 200 wpc...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer

Answers

• JayDog
    JayDog Posts: 266
    100% agree with F1, who ever compared those two speakers and ended up resulting with a close race, was under powering them or using a dirty power source.
    The whole LSIM line scales so much with better gear its crazy, The bass, mids and highs all sound so much more lively and imaging, separation, all of it gets better once you mate it with a solid amp. I still haven't found the ceiling with mine, its like night and day difference!
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,306
    Incorrect assumption, and no one used the term "close race".
    JayDog wrote: »
    100% agree with F1, who ever compared those two speakers and ended up resulting with a close race, was under powering them or using a dirty power source.
    I disabled signatures.
  • JayDog
    edited January 2021
    msg wrote: »

"@msg compared the two directly and slightly preferred the 703s but it was closer than expected."

My point exactly, terms are like ridiculous opinions! we all have them and some of us cant help but share ignorant ones, like yours! but thanks for trying to sound intelligent.. :D

I will avoid this thread from here on out, This MSG must really love reading his own posts to talk that much for No reason! Take care and stay happy!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704

"@msg compared the two directly and slightly preferred the 703s but it was closer than expected."

My point exactly, terms are like ridiculous opinions! we all have them and some of us cant help but share ignorant ones, like yours! but thanks for trying to sound intelligent.. :D

I will avoid this thread from here on out, This MSG must really love reading his own posts to talk that much for No reason! Take care and stay happy!

WTF!?!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    That’s a ‘bold’ statement.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,192
    Pipe down Jesse, I'm being celebrated in bold!
    lei5xe5xct9r.png
  • msg
    @JayDog dude, I think we got off on the wrong foot/had a misunderstanding.
    But you took a bit of liberty with rooftop's loose quote of my experience with those speakers, and then you said I had a wimpy amp and dirty power. That really hurt my feelings, man.

You like LSiM, I like LSiM. And DSOTM.
    Friends again? Cool. Whew, I'm glad we made up.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Hermitism
    Better than dirty amp/wimpy power.
  • msg
    What about scratched amp.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Hermitism
    Oh man, that's just cold.
  • Hermitism
    What about scratched amp.
    If there had been a "hate you" reaction, I would have used it just now!

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    Someone needs a Snickers.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • JayDog
    edited January 2021
    @msg
    Honestly, I thought MSG was a review website or YouTube Channel, I didn't think you were a member here, either way, I wasn't taking a jab at you deliberately. No harm, no Foul.
    I wasn't in feelings, but now that i reread your comment, I did take it a little harsh. My Bad!
    but if you would of used the "the scratched amp" that might of took it to another level..glad it stayed civil... Cheers!
  • msg
    Haha, that's funny, the review site or YouTube.

Alright, good stuff.
    I disabled signatures.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Haha, that's funny, the review site or YouTube.

Alright, good stuff.

That’s it Scott a YouTube review site is your next great adventure!!!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    This thread has made me want to review the S20 or the L200.
  • msg
    @jsaldanha Have you had a chance to make a decision? Curious to hear how you end up and what you think once you get set up.
    Clipdat wrote: »
    This thread has made me want to review the S20 or the L200.
    With your experience with 703s, you should definitely check out the L200s if you get the opportunity. I was surprised you didn't opt in for the demo.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    Yeah, I was too busy with other reviews at that time but now I'm ready to go.
  • JayDog
    I would like some time with the L200 also, did somebody say demo program?
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    edited January 2021
    The L200 demo program is long over. You can read the reviews here, https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/188179/polk-l200-speaker-demo-reviews/p1
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• jsaldanha
    jsaldanha Posts: 4
    edited March 2021
    I got the 703's yesterday, took time to get new 703's. They are perfect. Mid's are so clear, vocals sound great. High's are sweet, not fatiguing, Bass is quite good too, considering its a bookshelf. Well balanced speaker. I may get my Polk Micropro 3000 hooked onto this setup, which is currently in my basement 7.2.2 Polk RTI setup and get a SVS SB 3000 to replace it in the basement.

Thank you all for pointing me to the great speakers. Sharing your expertise helps people like me make a great purchase without having to buy something not so great and regret it.

Regarding the L200, I have been a Polk fan for over 10 years, started with the RTI series for the basement HT(A9, C6, FX, 265-RT, micropro 3000), moved on to the LSIM with is purchase, even my wife loved the LSIM 703's. I may just about get the L200 for the 1st floor. Thinking of demoing them in Toronto after the lockdown.
  • Hansvelton
    Hansvelton Posts: 151
    jsaldanha wrote: »
    I got the 703's yesterday, took time to get new 703's. They are perfect. Mid's are so clear, vocals sound great. High's are sweet, not fatiguing, Bass is quite good too, considering its a bookshelf. Well balanced speaker. I may get my Polk Micropro 3000 hooked onto this setup, which is currently in my basement 7.2.2 Polk RTI setup and get a SVS SB 3000 to replace it in the basement.

Thank you all for pointing me to the great speakers. Sharing your expertise helps people like me make a great purchase without having to buy something not so great and regret it.

Regarding the L200, I have been a Polk fan for over 10 years, started with the RTI series for the basement HT(A9, C6, FX, 265-RT, micropro 3000), moved on to the LSIM with is purchase, even my wife loved the LSIM 703's. I may just about get the L200 for the 1st floor. Thinking of demoing them in Toronto after the lockdown.

They do have quite a rising High end though......

Not saying they do not sound good, but not what I would exactly call neutral either.

7i0hnzmg8mj0.jpg
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    Have you heard the 703’s?