Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    Options
    This is a sda SRS build I did a while back with a back lit face plate

ekuqjwb7e6du.jpg
    0u8ck85lqml4.jpg
    26ny4b8bbzg6.jpg
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,786
    Options
    That's absolutely stunning! Do you just follow the wiring schematic?
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • VR3
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Thank you 😊

Yes, just be cognizant of ground and where drivers connect
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • xsmi
    Options
    I'm going to ask a totally stupid question. Does the horizontal Plexiglas piece interfere with the mid-driver passive coupling?
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • VR3
    edited August 2019
    Options
    No, no issue there

I do ask, and not that you would, do not copy my design.

Thank you
  • xsmi
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »

I do ask, and not that you would, do not copy my design.

Thank you

Man, I couldn't if I wanted to! :D
  • xsmi
    Options
    So, what's the going rate to have the old caps/resistors removed and the new ones installed for me? :/
  • JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,479
    Options
    xsmi wrote: »
    So, what's the going rate to have the old caps/resistors removed and the new ones installed for me? :/

PM Trey. He doesn't conduct business in the forum.
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,560
    edited August 2019
    Options
  • xsmi
    Options
    zmcyxd3nocrc.jpeg

I know that the part that is circled in blue is the tweeter protection and I know what I need to do with that. However, those small brown parts circled in red, what are those? Do I leave those on the board? Or do I cut those and solder them together as well?
  • VR3
    Options
    Bypass caps, just remove and leave blank
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    750pf mica bypass caps to help the mylar caps sound better. Like Trey said no need to replace when using better polypropylene film caps.
  • xsmi
    Options
    I've got the boards cleaned off and I am ready to start soldering :s the new caps on, and the leads from the caps are too large to go in the holes on the boards. what do you guys recommend to fix this problem?
  • pitdogg2
    edited October 2019
    Options
    clean the old excess solder out of the hole....

Do @VR3 a favor and please start your own thread on this matter.
  • ChrisD
    ChrisD Posts: 101
    Options
    @pitdogg2 This IS xsmi's thread...
  • pitdogg2
    edited October 2019
    Options
    ChrisD wrote: »

I'm sorry I apologise @xsmi I seen Trey's stuff at the top of the page. My phone keyboard has a tendency to cover important stuff like the page numbers (smacks forehead)
    Thanks @ChrisD
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,795
    Options
    xsmi wrote: »
    I've got the boards cleaned off and I am ready to start soldering :s the new caps on, and the leads from the caps are too large to go in the holes on the boards. what do you guys recommend to fix this problem?

The holes should be large enough. Try what Ivan suggested. If it's still a problem you can drill out the holes very carefully with the next size up bit.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• xsmi
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    ChrisD wrote: »

I'm sorry I apologise @xsmi I seen Trey's stuff at the top of the page. My phone keyboard has a tendency to cover important stuff like the page numbers (smacks forehead)
    Thanks @ChrisD

No apologies needed, bro.
  • xsmi
    edited June 2020
    Options
    WOW!! I haven't heard my SDA's in 8 mos. I haven't been able to sort these boards.
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,183
    Options
    Oh no!! What issues are ya having? Forgot what goes where? Can you use your before photos as a reference guide?
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • xsmi
    Options
    Afraid to actually solder to the boards. If I burn these boards, I'm cooked. :D
  • Gardenstater
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Make sure you use some solder tip tinner prior to each soldering followed by a wipe with a wet sponge, such as this:

https://www.amazon.com/MG-Chemicals-SAC305-Container-Formulation/dp/B003BDOEUU/ref=sr_1_5?crid=34Q5IVNCPGG38&dchild=1&keywords=solder+tip+tinner&qid=1593294542&sprefix=solder+tip+,aps,154&sr=8-5

Also make sure the board is clean with some abrasive pad or fine steel wool and some alcohol. Place the component with leads where you want it and have something like double sided 3M tape and/or a cable tie holding it in place. Apply paste flux with something like a toothpick or a cotton swab to the lead and the board. Make sure your iron is fully hot and touch the solder to the tip, and make sure it melts rapidly and flows onto the tip, tinning it even further. Touch the tip to the component lead and PCB copper at the same time and give it a few secs to heat up, then touch the solder to the opposite side of PCB and lead and it should flow all around and be shiny. Only apply a minimal amt of solder. Pull the tip away and let it cool undisturbed. If it's shiny and even it's probably a good solder joint.

Practice makes perfect.
    Post edited by Gardenstater on
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • xsmi
    Options
    Thanks.
  • xsmi
    Options
    Well, I'm finally starting to put these beast back together.
    7401d67ku6cf.jpeg
  • xsmi
    Options
    qec0tuq7duhc.jpeg
  • xsmi
    Options
    Finally fired these up last night for the first time in almost two years. I will NEVER try to solder anything ever again! LOL, however, I think these came out OK. When I turned them on last night at 9PM, the right speaker seemed MUCH louder than the left. When I woke up at 6 this morning, the soundstage has opened up a bit and the bass and piano on Miles' Kinda Blue are dead center, with the horns on the right. So, as these season, I think they're going to sound really good. Top end is still pretty harsh, so I know the caps and tweets need to burn in. I'm hoping to get a good 100 hours on them before I start really listening.
  • xsmi
    Options
    I have a test CD coming in that will have white noise one it. I'm going to have to run the SDA tests. The soundstage is definitely skewing to the right.
  • djreef
    djreef Posts: 71
    Options
    Did you figure out what was up?

DJ
    = 8-->{I>
  • xsmi
    Options
    The CD has been held up in the mail.
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    You can download test signals here and in high rez formats fwiw. If you have another way of playing digital material besides CD you should be good to go, or if not, maybe burn the file onto a CD-R?

https://www.audiocheck.net/
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS