Usher MD2

Options
I thought I'd leave in a pine box before these speakers left my house, but I guess that's why you "never say never." I remember the first time I ever saw/heard a pair at Marvin's. I was first drawn to the appearance: a beautiful and somewhat unique design. Next, the music began to play and I knew I had to start saving for a pair. It was probably a year or so later before I was able to pull the trigger on a pair of my own, and as I said, I never thought I'd sell them. But as with most things in life, you have to give up a little something to get something in return. So here we are.

Really not a lot to say about these that hasn't been said before. The Diamond tweeter is probably the crown jewel, but the mids and bass are also very nice. I listen to a variety of music, and I've found this speaker to be a good all around performer. That being said, I don't listen to very much classical, jazz, rap or techno, so if that's your thing I can't provide an endorsement. I've also listened to them on a variety of gear and I've never been disappointed.

Here's the thread where I bought them. (There are pics on page 1)
https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/173924/for-sale-speakers-harbeth-magnepan-salk-usher-polk-svs-and-a-tv/p1

Here's a post I made after I got them. Pics are in this thread also, but I'll try to take some current shots this weekend. https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/174323/my-new-ushers

I have the original boxes, but I need to check them out to see if I trust them for shipping. Regardless of the condition of the boxes, I going to say local only for now.

$2500 pick up or I'll meet you within a few hours (I'm thinking I'll drive 3 hours, one way). I'm in NE Texas, so a few major-ish cities I can get to in 3 hours include: DFW, Waco, Oklahoma City, Shreveport, and almost to Little Rock.

No shipping at this time, but if I change my mind it will be at buyers expense.
Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden

Comments

• CottageChz
    Options
    Nice. Really want to hear/own some ushers someday, but I will need to start with the bookshelves. Glws!
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,973
    Options
    Dammit Paul you’re killing my! GLWS!!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,053
    Options
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    Dammit Paul you’re killing my! GLWS!!

Yes, you read it correctly. I’ll deliver to Waco. What’s a good day for you?😁
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,871
    Options
    now, what are you replacing them with?
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,599
    Options
    Rumor has it he's downsizing to my Ascend Acoustics Seirra-1s that are for sale.
  • tophatjohnny
    Options
    Making me want to locate a buyer for my 6381’s that are minty but not sure this is the time of year to make such a move ?? Sure like em!
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • PSOVLSK
    Options
    marvda1 wrote: »
    now, what are you replacing them with?

I'm thinking of sneaking into a house in Saginaw and "borrowing" a pair of Volterra's.

Serious answer is that I'm looking at the Elba 2, so pm me your thoughts on how they compare to the MD2.
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Rumor has it he's downsizing to my Ascend Acoustics Seirra-1s that are for sale.

I've clicked on your thread numerous times to admire those. I would love to have them in my living room system, but 1) I'm not sure they would fit in the cabinet where I would have to put them and 2) they don't deserve to be stuck in a cabinet.
    Making me want to locate a buyer for my 6381’s that are minty but not sure this is the time of year to make such a move ?? Sure like em!

There's never a bad time of year to make such a move :D
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,129
    Options
    This is a rock solid deal for someone. I'm surprised there hasn't been more interest yet. I haven't heard this model, but that diamond tweeter is really good, and give the design I bet they pack quite punch for their size.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • pglbook
    pglbook Posts: 2,168
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Great deal.

I wish you were closer (I am in NY) because I have been looking for a pair of Usher MD2 at a reasonable price for the past few months.

GLWTS.

• marvda1
    edited December 2020
    Options
    pglbook wrote: »
    Great deal.

I wish you were closer (I am in NY) because I have been looking for a pair of Usher MD2 at a reasonable price for the past few months.

GLWTS.

make it a bbq road trip and pick them up. ;)
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • halen
    halen Posts: 677
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Paul,
    From you to Waco must be 8 ish hours? Ball park. You make over $300 an hour. 16 hours round trip is what?

I am in Dallas area. Just pay me and I will take it and store in my closet. Much shorter drive.

Check your text mister.
  • PSOVLSK
    Options
    Text replied.

Waco is almost exactly 3 hours...right at 200 miles I think, so not too bad.
  • halen
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Consider this done.
  • PSOVLSK
    Options
    This may be my fastest sale ever...and local...to a friend.

This is honestly very bittersweet for me. I will be sad packing them up and carrying them out the door. But at least I can visit them sometime. And of course, I have replacements coming.

Good talking(texting) with you tonight Halen.
  • marvda1
    Options
    Paul, what finish are you getting?
    Puritan PSM156
  • PSOVLSK
    Options
    Silver leaf.
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    Good choice. My second favorite next to the walnut ones I have.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,973
    Options
    Congrats on the quick sale fellas!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • halen
    Options
    PSOVLSK wrote: »

This is honestly very bittersweet for me. I will be sad packing them up and carrying them out the door. But at least I can visit them sometime. And of course, I have replacements coming.

Always nice talking to you as well. Thanks for these. I will see you soon.

Now for amps. Would my pro audio amps with fans be good nough for em? lol

Cheers my friend.

halen
  • marvda1
    Options
    halen wrote: »

Cheers my friend.

halen

I've got a nice Mastersound Compact 845 with your name on it. :D
    Puritan PSM156
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options

Cheers my friend.

halen

Send it my way, Marv so I can test it out. ;)
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • marvda1
    Options
    sure, $5k just for you.
    Puritan PSM156
  • halen
    Options

Cheers my friend.

halen

I do like MasterSound. But if my name is on it, it must be under $2000. I am known for being cheap. What say youse? heheheeh

halen
  • PSOVLSK
    Options
    Well, I boxed these up tonight😢. I almost called Halen to apologize and tell him I just can’t let them go. We’ll see if I’ve got it in me to load them in the car tomorrow.
  • marvda1
    Options
    paul, did your md2's have the cast iron or mdf base? they started out with mdf then went cast iron and then back to mdf saying mdf sounds better. i know mdf is cheaper than cast iron but did they lower the price....no.
    Puritan PSM156
  • halen
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Paul stopped by and dropped of the speakers.

Was really good to see you again!

The base is cast iron.

halen
  • tophatjohnny
    Options

The base is cast iron.

halen

Congrats brother! You scored ! My 6381’s too have that cast iron base! A little heavier than the MD 2’s and couldn’t imagine either sitting on anything else! I know you are going to love them
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options

The base is cast iron.

halen

Congrats brother! You scored ! My 6381’s too have that cast iron base! A little heavier than the MD 2’s and couldn’t imagine either sitting on anything else! I know you are going to love them

I believe there is an additional hatch on the rear of the 6381's to add additional weight??
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • halen
    Options

The base is cast iron.

halen

Thank you! I actually had Ron’s MD2’s at my place many many moons ago. Powered by Pass Labs, converted using a Chord DAC.

Slowly getting back into audio as the babies are a little older now. Still learning about all these streamers. Though I am still more into CD’s and Hi-Rez files. I am behind the times.

Cheers to Paul for making this happen.
  • PSOVLSK
    Options
    Well Halen, have you gotten them hooked up yet? Interested to hear how they sound with the Box.

On another note, I backed out on getting the Elba 2.