Recent external build

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Who knew Sid the Kid would turn into Sid the Master!?!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,474
    ^^^^^What Jesse said. Absolute work of art, Trey. From what I've seen your nicest build to date.
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,968
    Ah you guys are to kind, thank you! 😊
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,066
    edited November 2020
    Trey, outstanding!

Much more detail than your prototype for the one in Utah!

yjm73loar0ec.png
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • VR3
    Thank you!

Haha I saw that article, I love it. I wish I had time to go out in the desert and mount some aluminum statutes!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    So Trey, as a person with a (very) vested interest B) How does it sound?
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • VR3
    So i will wait to give detailed thoughts when the other side is in place

But running one side external and one side internal, the goals appear to be on target, far more air in the highs, insane bass response, but I'll be able to tell more when the other side is done!
  • Ummm........how does it sound??? :)
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • VR3
    The utopias sound exactly opposite of the current trend in hifi.

Instead of a calculated cold reproduction of a recording, i always feel like I'm listening to how Jacques Mahul thinks music should sound, but in a good way. Like a performance of sorts. Wide 20 ft wide soundstage, great weight and depth, great vocals, fantastic bass, especially with the external mod. Tons of volume and power capabilities.

The biggest difference is everything sounds good, everything, never had a recordingi thought sounded so bad i could not listen to it. Things i could not listen to on my old super towers sound very pleasant and good recordings sound amazing

Will comment more on the mods after the second speaker is done external
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,651
    I don’t believe you. 😎 Thats just what I have to keep telling myself.

Those are awesome Trey. I would really like something like that for my speakers.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,136
    edited December 2020
    Wow! I think you are having lots of fun with that laser cutter (envious). When the sound quality improvement results are fully in, it might be a good idea for you to contact the mfg. and they could pay you a licensing fee or something and feature your modded speakers at the upcoming (hopefully) 2021 audio show circuit.

Question: are you using all aluminum machine screws/bolts or does it not matter? Also, curious what the values are of the bypass caps (0.01uF?).
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • VR3
    Thank you!

Yes the laser cutter is fun, this idea was fun to do as each cap has a circle routed out for it, so they are clamped into place, i really like the idea haha

The post im using are aluminum and the bolts and stainless steel, everything is non magnetic

Yes, jdm .01uf capacitors

I doubt focal would care but that would be sweet!
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,636
    Very creative craftsmanship. Nice job.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • VR3
    Thank you!
  • VR3
    I wired up one of mine today, my chassis is a half inch smaller than Jody and man that made it way tougher, size does matter! Lol
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,636
    Trey, outstanding!

Much more detail than your prototype for the one in Utah!

yjm73loar0ec.png

Piece of art on left, piece of crap on right.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • VR3
    edited December 2020
    Thanks Drew!

Im listening to jodys version now and the separation in the high end is just immaculate.

Best i have ever heard the utopias since i have owned them. More of current hifi resolution with thst old school warmth. Digging it.

Their ability to make every recording enjoyable is what i like. From korn to norah jones, its all good!
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    VR3 wrote: »
    Their ability to make every recording enjoyable is what i like. From korn to norah jones, its all good!

Here's a good test track for bass and dynamic range. Fair warning, it's filthy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOLmEHwmcSc
  • VR3
    Thats a good track with definite dynamic swings.

The front to back staging with the ambiance is very nice and the little clicks floating around like a bug is a nice effect. Good deep bass! Ill add that to my list of tracks!

Thanks!
  • Clipdat
    The front to back staging with the ambiance is very nice and the little clicks floating around like a bug is a nice effect.

I'm glad you picked up on that. It's an uncanny sensation and a great test of imaging/placement when you hear those little noises floating around in different spaces in front of you.

I'm happy that you liked the track!
  • VR3
    You probably have heard eskmo, some of his tracks are super wild with the imaging, similar effects but alot of front to back waves in his tracks
  • halo71
    halo71 Posts: 4,567
    Outstanding craftsmanship there!
    --Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • VR3
    Thank you good sir!
  • 1mvox337xdf8.png

That track sounds even better on Tidal HiFi full resolution than it does on YouTube
  • Clipdat
    You probably have heard eskmo, some of his tracks are super wild with the imaging, similar effects but alot of front to back waves in his tracks

I've heard the name, but I'm not familiar with any of his work. I will check it out soon! Thanks for the tip.
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    I'm very curious as to how much better the external XO will sound. The stock Mezzo Utopias sound VERY good with various power amps as-is.

Trey, perhaps you should mention your current pre/power setup.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • VR3
    Jody is alive! I sent you a few emails, fwiw

My setup is really simple

3 dedicated 20 amp circuits
    >
    Lumin mini streamer, pangea ac14se power cable, supra cat8 ethernet
    >
    Dh labs 750 coax
    >
    Modded tri Vista dac, supra lorad power
    >
    Dh labs revelation ics
    >
    Tri Vista integrated with revelation umbilical cables and pangea ac9se power cable
    >
    Supra qudrax speaker wires
    >
    Mezzo utopia with the modded external crossovers with supra rondo internal wiring and gr research no rez lining.