Recent external build

Options

Comments

• Gardenstater
    Options
    In addition to the high quality point to point wiring and components, is a major design goal of this to isolate the crossover components more from the internal acoustical and mechanical vibrations therefore reducing microphonic effects? If so, how much of the SQ improvement that you are perceiving is due to that?

Sorry, didn't mean to sound like this was a quiz lol.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,052
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Hmm, yes that is a benefit, but i dont believe these components benefit as much as lower end components would. The cmr, path resistors are all heavily damped already, the cmr actually feels like a spring when you tap on it, very interesting caps.

But in general, i accept that going external almost always nets a sonic benefit. When we took @treitz3 crpssovers external, his chassis actually houses the stock and modified crossovers so you can swap on thebfly with minimal downtime.

For the first three weeks he thought he was listening to the modified crossovers (i told him the wrong hook ups as the placebo!) , he said there was some minute changes but overall it sounded the same! So this was a great test as when we switched to the modded for real, he immediately was smiling ear to ear, night and day differences!

I will add that going external truly does add a ton of cost if done the right way. The wiring, the enclosures, requiring the speakers, far more labor, etc
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,004
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »
    Jody is alive! I sent you a few emails, fwiw
    Hey, check your PM...I think there's an issue with your email account.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • VR3
    Options
    Finally getting to mounting mine, man January has been crazy

ts84xrqeoqqb.jpg
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • JayDog
    JayDog Posts: 266
    Options
    Finally getting to mounting mine, man January has been crazy

ts84xrqeoqqb.jpg

VR3,
    It has been a pleasure seeing some of your work on here, I am also a big fan of Focal. My end game HT & 2-channel speakers are the Sopra N3, but I will settle with the full 7.2 of Kanta N°1 also, keep up the good work and posting pics bro.
  • VR3
    Options
    Thank you!

The sopra line does look very nice indeed, very sleek. Have not had the pleasure to compare. The kanta line drivers always intrigued me, would love to hear! Beer it sounds sweet

• JayDog
    Options
    WOW! It would be a sin too not have this crossover on display for everyone to see, It is as good looking as the speaker.. B)
  • JayDog
    edited January 2021
    Options
    The Kanta N°3 and Sopra N°1 are close in sound signatures but the Sopra has similar tweeter technology as the Kef LS50 Meta, it diffuses standing waves & reflections in this back chamber they built in the Sopra, its called there INFINITE HORN LOADING, increases clarity and prevents smearing & distortion. to name a few of Focal's claims.

Focal has done something I thought was impossible, They made there industries best Beryllium tweeter sound even better, some how! That is the biggest difference between Sopra N°3 & Kanta N°1.
    Well then the Sopra is a little better at everything also, that shows in the price of coarse, both are Incredible speakers imo. You need to get your ears on with them soon, you will love them VR3,

Really the Kanta and Sopra are not that much different then what you already have really, your already at the highest levels of resolution, so its like splitting hairs for you at this point, in a good way of coarse, Feel free to come upgrade my crossover to match yours anytime Bro.. :D

https://www.focal.com/en/focal-teach/ihl-system-infinite-horn-loading
  • VR3
    Options
    Very interesting. I heard the Scala utopia in Singapore but the setup was terrible, so it's really hard to gauge.

My utopias have the older titanium done so the sound is a good bit different than the newer stuff. I would love to compare the newer stuff in a proper setup. My budget for audio is about twenty years behind current offerings! I'll get there one day haha!

Very interesting on the back wave dampening on the tweeter, very very similar to what B&W did with the old nautilus design.

• VR3
    Options
    a7o2ka5lrr0l.jpg

Neat tid bit is that the reverse horn made is way down their product line to the bottom. Even the cheap cm series has it.

4u88vm9uak95.jpg

• Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,189
    Options
    That looks like it would fare pretty well in a wind tunnel :D
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • JayDog
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Your right i guess it is more like the B&W then the Kef LS50 Meta.

B&W is Another great speaker company, I can't wait to see what Sound United has planned for them and how it effects there speaker lines and manufacturing costs, prices etc.

I think you will be surprised just how good your speakers can hold there own even against today's Focals, you nailed it the tweeter is the biggest difference and that is anything next to Focals Beryllium tweeter, IMO the best sounding tweeter in the game, at least of what I have ever heard, It is so fast and clean, it would be unfair to compare that tweeter against any other tweeter imo, it beats Raal, Raven & Diamond you name it, Focals Beryllium beats all of them, but there mids and lows are still sound very close imo.
  • VR3
    Options
    I can see that being the case, I really feel high end today has just moved to a overall different sound trait versus better or worse, in the end it would come down to preference possibly.

All boxed up for Jody!

chfuvse8euvh.jpg
    n4te4534hkx8.jpg
    t8nx2tzxrhd5.jpg
    01050kopx8zp.jpg
    uvawbio1vv94.jpg
    fxcc7edmc8be.jpg
    2osevqx54ccg.jpg
    dygcwkpuli5q.jpg
    ibu6sydurx5k.jpg
  • jdjohn
    Options
    My man! :)
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • jdjohn
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Got it in-house! Now time for me to do some work, gutting existing network, and wiring in new external.
    zsiju1q8689m.jpg

• VR3
    Options
    Very nice! Looks they didn't throw it around to bad!
  • jdjohn
    edited February 2021
    Options
    A box inside a box:
    2g4ds5agd1uo.jpg
    Opening the treasure chest:
    6xccbn84o0pp.jpg
    Peeled back a few layers - folks, this is how the pros do it:
    6uew58fd8t0j.jpg
    Exposed! I need to catch my breath after pulling these bad boys out:
    klm2hbk12ufe.jpg
    Dang...those are sexy B)
    And then the connecting bits:
    fsuan5ygbn0i.jpg
    I guess the rest is up to me!

Thank you, Trey! :)
  • VR3
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Glad they arrived safe, look forward to the install pics!
  • jdjohn
    Options
    My bad...I've replaced it with just the hardware included ;)
  • VR3
    Options
    Excellent! Just a reminder the umbilical cables are directional! 😁
  • jdjohn
    Options
    I did notice the Supras have arrows ;) It's about bed-time tonight, but wifey is going out-of-town this weekend B)
  • Gerres26
    Gerres26 Posts: 863
    Options
    Hell of a job Trey, they look beautiful and I’m sure will sound even better!
  • VR3
    Options
    Thank you sir!
  • jdjohn
    Options
    Old (internal) vs New (external):
    8w51dig7lmcf.jpg
    Note there are other components inside that elongated box for the external network.
  • VR3
    Options
    Very peculiar! Your stock crossover has an extra resistor in the bass network! Strange
  • VR3
    Options
    hr3v1peuvv9m.jpg
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    What is the black thing on the right side of the Focal? A ramp just for the photograph, or does it serve a purpose?
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • jdjohn
    Options
    Very peculiar! Your stock crossover has an extra resistor in the bass network! Strange
    Uhhh...do we need to talk???
  • jdjohn
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »
    What is the black thing on the right side of the Focal? A ramp just for the photograph, or does it serve a purpose?
    That mounting bracket will attach to the bottom of the cabinet, and the exposed 'guts' will lay up along the back of the loudspeaker.