Question: bank wire

Options
Got a question.
Bank wire.
I have a buyer from australia, wants to buy a piece from me.
He says because of transfer, the best would be "transferwire" which is a bankwire type system.
I don't normally have problems giving my routing and acct number to buyers, especially if there is good feedback on forums or audiogon, but he has zero feedback.

Is there a potential badness that could occur from giving my routing and account number, in addition to my name and address for bank wire?

I mean, if he sends the money, there is no recourse for him to get the money back.

I'm just trying to make sure I look at this from all angles.

Thx
Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound

Comments

• aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,097
    Options
    I would talk to your private banker and have them arrange a transfer directly to the bank and have your bank put the funds in your account. That way the buyer will not have your account information, only your name and contact information. Kind of like an escrow agent (a go between).
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,520
    Options
    Good point
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,017
    Options
    No feedback....don't do business. period.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,004
    Options
    I think it may be TransferWise (not transferwire), and seems quite legit IMO. https://transferwise.com/us
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,518
    Options
    I have the same attitude as TonyM toward sellers with no feedback. However, if the transaction seems to provide protection, it’s probably worth trying.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,437
    Options
    Is he a Nigerian prince?
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • la2vegas
    la2vegas Posts: 602
    Options
    audioluvr wrote: »
    Is he a Nigerian prince?

Maybe...v1raucdbet5t.jpg
  • Easy Runnin
    Options
    I sold a boat in New Jersey to an unknown buyer in British Columbia through CL. I setup a new account, had the buyer wire the funds to the new account in advance, I transfer the money to my regular account and then closed the new account. His transport company took the boat 2 days later. Worked for me.
    HT- Samsung PN50B860/Integra DTR 30.3/Rt55 Fronts
    Rt35i Surrounds/Cs1000p Center/SVS BP1000 Sub
    2CH - B&K MC-101 pre/B&K EX-442 amp/NAD 2400 amp
    Polk SDA1C, Polk Monitor 7, New Large Advents and Polk RTA 8T
    BR - Yamaha CR800/Polk monitor 5
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,582
    edited December 2020
    Options
    I sold a boat in New Jersey to an unknown buyer in British Columbia through CL. I setup a new account, had the buyer wire the funds to the new account in advance, I transfer the money to my regular account and then closed the new account. His transport company took the boat 2 days later. Worked for me.

That's the only way to do it right there.
    My PP account is that way. I have a separate bank account for PP so the only money ever in it is money going out or coming in.
  • Joey_V
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

That's the only way to do it right there.
    My PP account is that way. I have a separate bank account for PP so the only money ever in it is money going out or coming in.

I have a separate bank account for PayPal aka audio stuff. So if anything got raided then I’m out whatever is in that account.

• kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,959
    Options
    It is my understanding that....if the wrong person has your account number and routing number....they could in theory empty that account of any funds you may have. I would stay away.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,582
    Options
    Well true kevhed. If you can put money in you can take it all out.

That is the reason for separating accounts. If you're expecting money there is no money in it, if you're sending then only that amout is in it.
  • jdjohn
    Options
    Transferwise is legit. My wife used it all the time while living in London. Of course the buyer doesn't need your banking info, but Transferwise obviously would. Their niche is handling international banking transactions.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • jdjohn
    Options
    Transferwise is legit. My wife used it all the time while living in London. Of course the buyer doesn't need your banking info, but Transferwise obviously would. Their niche is handling international banking transactions.
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,939
    Options
    No comment on the the absence of feedback on the seller, but regarding international money transfers:

I haven’t used Transferwise, but I have used OFX (ofx.com) multiple times. It sounds like the same idea. Basically, you are avoiding the 3% that banks include in the exchange rate offered, which will save you hundreds or thousands of dollars (depends on the amount of the transfer).

You never actually give your account information to the recipient, but they have to give you theirs. As for nefarious use of said information, I’ve never tried, so I wouldn’t know how I would go about trying to steal money from a recipient’s account.

This is how it works:

1) Recipient requests 10,000 EUR (for example).
    2) I ask for a rate from OFX.com

canv369bwlxa.jpeg

3) I create a recipient, using their bank information as provided. Sample screen below.

zumllpee49c8.jpeg

4) I set up an overnight transfer from my own bank to the account of OFX for 12,368,58, according to the rate offered.
    5) OFX awaits my funds.
    6) Once received (next day) OFX initiates the transfer to the recipient at the agreed rate, regardless of any exchange rate fluctuations that may have occurred.

N.B.
    • You cannot reverse a transfer once completed.
    • Your recipient NEVER gets your bank information, but you DO get his/hers.
    • My first transfer ever was a large amount. I was called by OFX to ask about the reasons for the transfer. They explained that it was a requirement. Something to do with homeland security and/or money laundering.
    • Every subsequent transfer was completed online, without ever having to talk to an agent, even when the recipient was different, including in a different country or currency.
    • OFX requires two factor authentication, but if you’re using iOS or iPadOS, the code can be automatically pasted into the field, without you having to manually type it out. Transferwise may be different.
    Alea jacta est!
  • Kex
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Just noticed that he is buying from you, so you would be the one who has to give your bank information. I don’t see any way around this if you want to sell him the item.

This is common practice for international transactions, and recipients regularly divulge their bank details to me. YMMV.

FTC Guidance

You may find some insight from that link, but it seems that the main risks being discussed are about SENDING money, not receiving it.

This link also discusses fake buyers, but using checks (from Washington State):

Wire Transfer Scams

Alea jacta est!
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Thx guys and @Kex For the long explanation

I ended up telling him PayPal ff or nothing.

He did FF and the unit is on its way to Singapore
  • Kex
    Options
    Good job Joey! 👍

The PayPal exchange rate is not quite as bad as the banks, but almost... 😂

If it was worth it to the buyer, the extra 2.5% or so was obviously not a deal breaker, and it does avoid divulging any account details. Given the lack of feedback, it was probably a wise decision on your part. 😉
    Alea jacta est!