Ascend Acoustics speakers

Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1 bookshelf speakers in a stunningly gorgeous natural bamboo finish.

Mint condition but rated conservatively 9/10 just because they've been used. These have the NrT tweeter upgrade and include the optional port plugs.

Purchased new on 4/7/20 from from Ascend for $1,132 after tax and shipping.

j1bt1aawhlwl.png

Asking $700 shipped. If seriously interested, please send PM.

6uaoer2uu94i.jpg
8c0kyrdso85k.jpg
5yngnouayjzb.jpg
dlyjmq9luoan.jpg

Comments

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Those look awesome! Been wanting to hear a pair for a long time. Any listening notes you care to share Drew? I just understand if you don’t in this thread...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,559
    I haven't listened to them for a while, I'll hook them back up later today and let you know.
  • Clipdat
    Listened to these for a bit today connected to the Mastersound BoX.

First thing that comes to mind is airy, effortless, and expansive. The tweeter's highs are extended, spacious, and pristine. This tweeter definitely shows you everything that's there, a true detail lover's speaker.

The soundstage is pretty wide and the sound isn't boxy at all. They pull a decent disappearing act. The bass is quite robust for a 5.25" driver, and can be tuned with the two different types of port plugs. I noticed that when I did this in the past it reduced some of the boominess I was hearing at certain frequencies and made the low end response more linear. However, it also took away a little bit of the airiness of the treble. Not sure if all port plugs do this to some extent.

Midrange was accurate and present without coloration. Good driver integration in that I couldn't tell which sounds were coming from each driver.

Overall, a very "modern" sounding speaker that is exceptionally clean and can throw some nice 3D imaging effects.

A pretty good value at MSRP, but a great value at the price I'm asking.
  • Clipdat
    Price drop to $600 shipped.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Whoa!!! Someone needs to jump on these ASAP. What a GREAT deal!! People on the avsforum would snap these up in a second.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • Clipdat
    Thanks, Victor. They do sound very good and the cabinets are awesome. They're SO smooth, the finish and workmanship on the bamboo is just stunning. It makes you just want to touch them.

I realize that sounds weird but it's the truth.
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    You're killin' me Drew! Problem with buying these, if I like them better than my 703's, then I'd need to replace my 706 center as well & things would snowball from there. Ugh...
  • Clipdat
    I certainly like them better than 703s.
  • Clipdat
    edited December 2020
    For serious prospective buyers, I will cover the cost of shipping them to you for a 1-2 month evaluation.

If you don't end up purchasing, all I ask is that you pay return shipping and that they be returned in the same condition they arrived in.
  • Clipdat
    edited December 2020
    I've been listening to them with the open/hollow port plugs in place:

g4eh4ydgxm3d.jpg

They tighten up the bass just enough to make these perform more like a sealed box design. The boominess I was experiencing due to proximity to a wall boundary is gone. Much more linear/even/natural low end frequency response. Still getting decent air and space in the tweeter presentation.

A great way to incorporate these into less than ideal spaces.
  • Clipdat
    edited December 2020
    boqjyfuywunc.png

LOL WTF Willie?! Does the sight of a plugged bunghole make you giggle?!? :p
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,126
    Clipdat wrote: »
    boqjyfuywunc.png

LOL WTF Willie?! Does the sight of a plugged bunghole make you giggle?!? :p

Haha, my chubby thumbs getting me into trouble. But the way you worded that certainly made me chuckle.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • Clipdat
    Damnit, I got review gear coming in and need these gone. I'm completely out of room.
  • JayDog
    JayDog Posts: 266
    Damn now you got me thinking? how much is the raal upgrade kit or do they still offer that for this model?
  • Clipdat
    No idea, but these already have the upgraded NrT tweeter option.
  • I'm thinking about these speakers too.
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • Clipdat
    What are you using currently?
  • I have 3 different models of SDAs (1A, 1C, 2B) and Paradigm Studio 60's, but I'm looking for bookshelf speakers to use with a Marantz 2216. I would mainly use the speakers with a turntable.

I have had the 2216 for quite some time. The 2216 is in the original double-boxes and needs to be used. Later, I would give the setup to my nephew.

I was reading about the Ascends but I was interrupted and have not gotten back to reading.

Thanks for asking.

Harry Jones
    Marietta GA
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • Clipdat
    Roger that. Please continue your research, and if you feel so inclined, PM me with an offer. Willing to work with you on the price.
  • Clipdat
    Pity bump. Now $500 shipped.
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Price drop to $600 shipped.

• Clipdat
    Sold, thanks Dave!
  • Congrats @Clipdat.

Harry / Marietta GA