Lord of the Rings 4K

Picked this up yesterday and watched Fellowship of the Ring Extended Edition last night.

Viewing on my LG CX 65 OLED and audio through my all Polk LSI 5.1 with SVS PC Ultra sub system. The soundtrack reverted to Dolby TruHD on my system.

This is pure reference material! Everything about it is stunning. From the audio side, the remastered soundtrack is much fuller, detailed, open and more thunderous than the Blu Ray set. This is what big subs were made for! Howard Shore's amazing score is bigger than ever and is pure gold. The entire sequence with the Bridge at Kahzad Dum and the Balrog is unreal and is the new Demo material of choice for me. You need to be very generous with the volume here. The rest of the movie is the same, perfection.

Yeah, the 4K video is amazing! Period!

There should be no debate as to whether you should or shouldn't buy it. DO IT!
No excuses!

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Awesome to hear.
    Thanks
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    I was close to buying that 4K set, but then it went out of stock on Amazon. Must be popular! When I do buy it, that will be the fifth time: theatrical DVD, extended DVD, theatrical Blu Ray, extended Blu Ray. I'm glad they put both versions out together! They just discounted The Hobbit 4K set. That must say something. I thought The Hobbit movies were like watching cartoons. :)

Reviews I have seen so far all seem to say all of the LOTR and Hobbit movies really benefit in 4K because they went back and did a lot of work with the CGI to make it look more cohesive with the live action. I may get The Hobbit set when the price is way knocked down in a few months.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    I use the opening sequence to show-off TRUE home theater capabilities once in a while.
    Polk RT3000 fronts Cs1000P center, polk 300 surround speakers and 2 Klipsh 12" subs do it justice and to perfection. :p

I agree that the trilogy soundtrack AND movies were first class all the way. The hobbit, not so much except the climb up the Mountain and then the inside dragon scene was done exceptionally well. B)

I'd bet that SVS PC Ultra sub is AWESOME!

Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Emlyn
    The "Ring Drop" and opening scene bass blast in the Fellowship of the Ring made it one of the original must have DVDs for subwoofer demonstration. I must have watched that opening scene more than a hundred times when I first got an SVS subwoofer. That, and the DVD for the 1999 version of The Haunting.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    Strong Bad, where’d you pick it up. Looked on Amazon and looks like long wait for delivery
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    The "Ring Drop"

That's an AWESOME bass track! That and the woman's voice that starts the story.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • I remember first seeing "The bridge of Khazad Dum" scene in a Hi Fi shop and it quickly became my reference scene for demo's. You can quickly see if a system is set up properly and especially if the subs are turned up too loud like in a lot of home theater systems.
    I echo the question that a couple of people have asked above. Where'd you get your copy???
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,276
    I preordered from Amazon over a month and a half ago.

My SVS PC-Ultra circa 2007 shows no signs of slowing down. Never had a problem with it.

Yup, the "Ring Drop" is better than ever. EVERYTHING about the audio and video is better than ever. I went back and watched the Bridge of Khazud Dum scene again last night. Absolute reference material!

You folks are gonna have so much fun with it! They knocked it out of the park!
    No excuses!
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,310
    Dang it, darn you for posting this. Like @Emlyn , I bought each of the DVD's as they came out, then the bluray's as they came out, then the DVD extended editions, so really didn't want to have to pick up another version of this.

I guess now I friggin' have to.
  • Emlyn
    Amazon lowered the price on the LOTR set to $79.99 today. Says 2 to 5 weeks to ship, but they usually have ways of sourcing things faster.
  • coolsax
    coolsax Posts: 1,824
    on Fellowship, does its suffer from the excessive Green saturation that the Bluerays copies do?
    Main 2ch -
    BlueSound Node->Ethereal optical cable->Peachtree Audio Nova 150->GoldenEar Triton 2+
    TT - Pro-ject Classic SB with Sumiko Bluepoint.

TV 3.1 system -
    Denon 3500 -> Dynaudio Excite 32/22
  • pitdogg2
    edited December 2020
    Guess I'm out. I'm not spending $200+ for movie's. I do like the BB steelbook stuff. Much better vessels than the flimsy plastic case's.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Lord-of-the-Rings-The-Motion-Picture-Trilogy-4K-BestBuy-Exclusive-Steelbook/293882207001?epid=5042125428&hash=item446cbe9b19:g:zMsAAOSwt2dfzr6f
  • sgmsmg
    sgmsmg Posts: 542
    Just keep an eye on SlickDeals. They keep up to date with the best prices.
    2 Channel
    Pre:Bryston BP173
    Amp:Bryston 14B3
    Speakers: Golden Ear Triton Reference
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Bryston BDA-3, Bryston BDP-3, Bryston BCD-3, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 Speaker, Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 XLR, AQ Diamond USB/HDMI
    Power: PS Audio P10 Regenerator, AC12, AC10 and AC5 Cables
    Display: Sony XBR65Z9F

Home Theater
    Pre: Anthem AVM90/JBL SDP-55
    Amps: Parasound A31, A51x2
    Speakers: Polk LSiM 707 (FL/FR), Polk LSiM706 (Center), LSiM 703 (SL/SR/SBL/SBR), Polk 900-LS (Atmos)
    Subwoofers: SVS SB16 x 4
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: AQ Meteor/Rocket 88, AQ Niagara/Sky
    Power: Torus AVR20, Shunyata Denali, Shunyata Delta, Cullen, PangeaAC9SE Cables
    Display: Sony XBR85Z9G
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,276
    coolsax wrote: »
    on Fellowship, does its suffer from the excessive Green saturation that the Bluerays copies do?

No, all of that was fixed. All 3 films were color corrected, among other things fixed for the 4K versions. They are quite stunning!
    No excuses!
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,310
    Jimbo18 wrote: »
    Dang it, darn you for posting this. Like @Emlyn , I bought each of the DVD's as they came out, then the bluray's as they came out, then the DVD extended editions, so really didn't want to have to pick up another version of this.

I guess now I friggin' have to.

I ended up waiting on this and the price jumped up. But I recently bought the streaming versions from Vudu for $50. They look and sound great.
  • JayDog
    JayDog Posts: 266
    This is a good series, I really like the battle scenes in Dolby Vision & HDR! Crazy!
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    Just ordered this from Amazon for $89.99, only thing is delivery not expected until Feb 14th. Well, that's not so bad, it'll give me time (and a good reason) to buy myself a 4K player. Anyone got an Oppo 203 they don't want? :)
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    I have two Oppo 203s, but they both are used. :).

I'm still trying to decide whether to buy this movie or not. I might wait a year until the price comes down.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    BlueFox wrote: »
    I have two Oppo 203s, but they both are used. :).

I'm still trying to decide whether to buy this movie or not. I might wait a year until the price comes down.
    Showoff ;)
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    Man I need me a 4k TV and the new Xbox One lol
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • pitdogg2

Unfortunately by the time you get one you'll need both the new 8k LOTR and an 8k TV....

😃
  • EndersShadow
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Unfortunately by the time you get one you'll need both the new 8k LOTR and an 8k TV....

😃

Lol.... I’m ok being one generation behind on tech......

4k is good enough for me. 75” 4K TV that is lol
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • pitdogg2
    Lol those spensive
  • EndersShadow
    Lol those spensive

I know... I got good taste..... but a empty wallet lol
  • pitdogg2
    All I can say is they need to produce more of these. It was only a very limited availability in my area. Stores cannot get more and the scalpers are selling for a very unreasonable prices. I've found several sites taking pre-orders for the steelbook at 130.00 yet they cannot give any timeframe on when they will be available and shipped.
    The hobbit stuff is every where and not selling from what I've been told.
    I'm not into those hobbit movies anyway.

Bummed
  • EndersShadow
    The hobbit stuff is every where and not selling from what I've been told.
    I'm not into those hobbit movies anyway

Because they didn’t stay true to the actual hobbit book but supplemented from his other books and writing to stretch it into 3 movies rather than just one.