Lord of the Rings 4K

Options
2»

Comments

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,372
    Options
    The player will downsample 4K output to whatever resolution the TV set is capable of. It won't have HDR of course, but the movies are watchable without a 4K display.

Worth noting that the studio did not include Blu Ray discs with this set. Just 4K and digital codes.
  • honestaquarian
    Options
    Thanks @Emlyn
    I'm tempted, but still want to wait until I get a 4K display (preferably and OLED and hopefully a Panasonic if they come back to the USA)
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,276
    Options
    Thanks @Emlyn
    I'm tempted, but still want to wait until I get a 4K display (preferably and OLED and hopefully a Panasonic if they come back to the USA)

If it's in your budget, get the LG CX65 OLED. Top rated OLED for picture quality. It's nothing short of STUNNING! I replaced my 2008 Panasonic 1080p Plasma and was never really impressed with the LED technology for 4K as it just seemed to lack that cinematic look. The LG simply blew me away! Movies in Dolby Vision are a sight to behold.

No excuses!
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,276
    Options
    asypcmdps3bq.jpeg
    15hdrpbjtinf.jpeg

I don’t even have a bloody 4K monitor yet and because of you @Strong Bad and this dang thread making me aware of these remasterings in 4K. I JUST HAD TO HAVE THEM!!
    So what do I do?
    I go find the steelbook versions on eBay.
    I’m sure they’ll look excellent playing on my Oppo once I finally get a 4K monitor.

You're welcome! HAHA!

No excuses!
  • honestaquarian
    Options
    Strong Bad wrote: »
    Thanks @Emlyn

If it's in your budget, get the LG CX65 OLED. Top rated OLED for picture quality. It's nothing short of STUNNING! I replaced my 2008 Panasonic 1080p Plasma and was never really impressed with the LED technology for 4K as it just seemed to lack that cinematic look. The LG simply blew me away! Movies in Dolby Vision are a sight to behold.

I've been keeping track of what's been going on with the OLED market. LG and Sony are no longer the only games in town when it comes to OLED in the US. This year a couple of other companies are going to be entering the fray. Covid has slowed everything down of course. I still have my Panasonic S series Plasma which is still just gorgeous, that I got just as Panasonic pulled out of making plasma's AND the US TV market entirely.
    Well it looks like they may just be coming back to the US market!!!
    If you look at YouTube, Panasonic OLED TV's have been getting RAVE reviews in the European and Asian markets for years now.
    Value Electronics in New York managed to get limited distribution of Panasonic's Hollywood Client Monitors. Which are the best of the best sets that they make for Hollywood to the highest standard. How good are they? Well they don't have the ABL (Automatic Brightness Limiter) that other OLED sets have.
    They are quite expensive though.
    I was thinking about using my tax return to get an OLED this year. Then fate intervened.
    bg3rpg56wb0u.jpeg
    meuvccvrf710.jpg
    8351sewzfv0f.jpg
    The owner of the wagon found the sedan, bought it and gave it to me!! :)

bhpviytt6lp8.jpg
    So now I have something else to drain my funds

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,577
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Interesting Rick I just ordered it from Amazon 10min ago, so far my order went through. I really wanted the steelbook version from Best buy because it's such a nice steelbook case but unfortunately Best buy is not getting anymore and the ones that are available on eBay are outrageously priced.

Edit: I just got the email that my order will be delivered between 2-23 and 2-26. Oh well I'm in Q 😃
  • honestaquarian
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Interesting Rick I just ordered it from Amazon 10min ago, so far my order went through. I really wanted the steelbook version from Best buy because it's such a nice steelbook case but unfortunately Best buy is not getting anymore and the ones that are available on eBay are outrageously priced.

Edit: I just got the email that my order will be delivered between 2-23 and 2-26. Oh well I'm in Q 😃

Yeah the steelbooks were snapped up by a bunch of savy buyers IMMEDIATLY and then they began selling them on eBay for outrageous amounts. I just said farg it and looked for the cheapest ones that I could find and bought 'em one by one.
  • Emlyn
    Options
    Rick88 wrote: »
    I am a fan of the franchise, but I have to be in the right mood to sit through nearly 4 hour films and that's a rare occasion anymore.

Same here. Fortunately, the movies have natural break points in them. With the Fellowship of the Ring movie, I watched the first hour or so and the rest when I had an hour or so over the next few days.

Regarding videophiles, I consider them to be way worse even than audiophiles! Especially when they start babbling about film grain, crushed black levels, and waxy skin tones, or whatever when they're eyeballing an LCD tv screen from 6 inches away. :)

• pitdogg2
    Options
    Like many who listen for flaws in their rig instead of listening to the music.

This is the best there is now. I've rented them all once when they came out on DVD. My kids knew about the books, I was ignorant to any of it. I did enjoy the movies and thought they were stunning then. I've never owned them so might as well get while the getting is good.
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,326
    Options
    Rick88 wrote: »
    I am a fan of the franchise, but I have to be in the right mood to sit through nearly 4 hour films and that's a rare occasion anymore. The older I get the less I feel like sitting through such long films, as my attention/engagement span is less than it used to be. I have the extended edition Blu-Ray box set from 2012 and I have only watched them once....

I’m with you on this - in fact, this is perhaps the first set of films where I kinda wish the “director’s cuts” were actually shorter versions of the originals...😉
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• Emlyn
    Options
    Price drop on the standard 4K set to $79.99 on Amazon again. Says shipping Feb 15 to my area.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,017
    Options
    My new Sound & Vision mag. rated the new 4K UHD sets to be 5 stars for everything.

He couldn't stop praising the clarity and realness of the images.

He said this new set Blows away the previous Blue Ray. He said the Blue Ray images don't come close to the new clarity. The colors are beautiful he said.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    I would like to get it but I just am not into watching TV or movies anymore. I have hundreds of unwatched DVDs now, and this will just end up in the queue. Maybe in a couple of years I will be ready, plus I might have forgotten more of the movies from the first time I bought and watched them a few years ago.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • honestaquarian
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »
    I would like to get it but I just am not into watching TV or movies anymore. I have hundreds of unwatched DVDs now, and this will just end up in the queue. Maybe in a couple of years I will be ready, plus I might have forgotten more of the movies from the first time I bought and watched them a few years ago.

So go back to playing your metal two days a week and just give up on movies then............... :D
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    Received mine yesterday.
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,314
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Jimbo18 wrote: »
    Amazon has it for $80.99. Might not last long.

Link now says 99.99

I guess I was right then :)
  • JayDog
    JayDog Posts: 266
    Options
    We just watched the LOTR 1-3 and The Hobbit 1-3 ex versions. The Hobbit 4k disc 3 scene where they are in the chariot, firing that Gatlin like repeating weapon, rolling down the frozen river being chased by that monster is my of my new favorite scene of all time.
    The 2 kings battle scene with all the Tree people is Awesome but the last couple Hobbit battles imo, is some of the best CGI and sounding scenes I have ever scene in my Home Theater Classic Awesomeness!
  • BlueFox
    Options
    Broke down and ordered it. Hope it doesn't sit on the shelf with all the other unwatched DVDs.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • honestaquarian
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Broke down and ordered it. Hope it doesn't sit on the shelf with all the other unwatched DVDs.

So stick it next to your metal CD's and maybe you'll actually watch it ;)
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    Pretty sure Bud streams most of his listening pleasure.
  • BlueFox
    Options
    Actually, I rip the CDs, but haven’t for a year or so. Now I download albums from HDTracks. I have tried watching a movie a few times over the last few months, but haven’t finished watching one in a while.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • BlueFox
    Options
    Just got an email from Amazon saying it shipped, and will be here Tuesday. Tuesday is usually a music night, but maybe I will try a movie instead.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Nesmith98
    Nesmith98 Posts: 214
    Options
    This set is now $39.99 for Amazon Prime Day. That's the cheapest I've seen it yet. It won't last long.
    There's quit a few deals on 4k UHD movies for 'Prime Day'. I just bought Pan's Labyrinth for $11.

https://amazon.com/Lord-Rings-Picture-Extended-Theatrical/dp/B08KQBYM1Y/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3888WOJ55EQGG&keywords=lord+of+the+rings+box+set+4k&qid=1689115852&sprefix=lord+of+the+rings+box+set+4k+%2Caps%2C118&sr=8-1