LP cleaning system:

Looking seriously at getting a cleaning system that will last me a while.

2 things come to mind.

1. Degritter
2. Audio Desk

What say you? Or is there a cheaper but still elegant and functional solution?

Looking to make the move within 4 weeks
Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound

Comments

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    By elegant, do you mean, mostly hands off, no fuss, no mess?

Most get good results with a few of the main vacuum record cleaning machines out there, but I can see the case for wanting to simplify the process.

Another one for consideration would be this unit @Clipdat Drew reviewed:
    https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/188301/kirmuss-audio-vinyl-cleaning-system
    https://theaudiobeatnik.com/kirmuss-audio-ultrasonic-record-groove-restoration-system-expectations-vs-reality/
    I disabled signatures.
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,126
    edited November 2020
    "What say you? Or is there a cheaper but still elegant and functional solution?"

Literally any vacuum system is exponentially cheaper, faster, and can be equally elegant and functional. I've heard of some people keeping both options in house. One for quick cleans, one for deep cleaning.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    Somehow stumbled onto this video... it seems amazing

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RIoaS8S4tLg

@displayname pls watch and tell me your thoughts

Seems like the one touch clean might be legitimate
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • You sure pay for the elegance of the degritter, but nothing comes close to the convenience and those that have used ultrasonic cleaners can attest to their performance. You are going to end up with it down the road, so I would find a way to do it sooner rather than later. The only other model that I would consider would be the Kirmuss Audio at 1/3 the cost of the two you are looking at. Kevin at Upscale Audio carries them, if I recall correctly.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,490
    I believe @doctor r bought a Degritter. Maybe he can comment.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Don't ask this guy. What could he possibly know, he's only 22 years old.
    https://youtu.be/fr8O_jZhpl4
  • displayname
    Joey_V wrote: »
    Somehow stumbled onto this video... it seems amazing

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RIoaS8S4tLg

@displayname pls watch and tell me your thoughts

Seems like the one touch clean might be legitimate

It does look impressive, there's no denying that. And I do think Ultrasonic offers a deeper clean than a vacuum. But for average cleaning (aka records not rubbed in dirt and potato chips) it might not be needed.

When you said "cheaper but still elegant and functional" - that's a vacuum system.

If you said "hands down best cleaning" - I'd put my money on Krimuss.

If you said "hybrid of both worlds and cost is no object" then I think Degritter is likely a great option.

Where you land on this spectrum is a bit of a personal choice, with no real wrong answers. Based on your previous buying habits, I fully expect to see a thread on your new Degritter next week. :p
    Discogs
  • Joey_V
    I’m doomed
  • cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    I've had the Audio Desk for quite a few years now, and have been very happy with it. If it died today, I would immediately order another.

I know many would claim 4k is an insane amount to pay for a cleaner, but I guarantee some of them have spent more on equipment upgrades that didn't make as great an audible improvement as this type of cleaner will.
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • Joey_V
    Agreed cmy330go

That’s the general consensus I get from my friends who have the audio desk

It’s unfortunate it costs so much but seems like a necessary evil.

Black or white....?
    hndqgcby4dpi.jpeg
    1j70iivsshqs.jpeg
  • cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    I dig the white. I'm growing tired of black on everything. Mainly cars and trucks, but it's bleeding over into all kinds of other things too. Would love to hear your opinions on that one if you go through with it.
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • Definitely silver over the black.

These things sure are cool, but way over my budget for something like that. I'm sure it would help out in making a few of my records sound better as they look pristine, but for some reason just have pops and crackle. I just can't justify something like this for my limited collection of 100 or so LPs. If I had a large collection, I can see how I could probably justify it. But at $3000, that amounts to $30 for a clean of each record. Not cost effective.

Wish I lived near you. Would like to see if a record or two of mine would actually clean up good with a machine like this.

Happy record cleaning!
    Speakers
    Energy RC-70 Mains, Energy RC-LRC Center, Energy RC-R (x4) Rear Channels, Energy RC-R (x2) Front Effects
    Polk 5jr+
    Polk SDA 2B
    Polk SDS 3.1TL

Equipment
    Panamax 5510 Re-generator Power Conditioner
    Yamaha RX-V3800 Receiver
    Digital Sources: Sony CDP-X339ES CD Player, HHB CDR830 BurnIt Professional CD Recorder, Sony PS3, Oppo DV-983H DVD Player
    Analog Sources: Sony TC-K890ES Cassette, Nakamichi DR-1 Cassette, Technics SL-7 Turntable
  • Joey_V
    edited November 2020
    Definitely silver over the black.

These things sure are cool, but way over my budget for something like that. I'm sure it would help out in making a few of my records sound better as they look pristine, but for some reason just have pops and crackle. I just can't justify something like this for my limited collection of 100 or so LPs. If I had a large collection, I can see how I could probably justify it. But at $3000, that amounts to $30 for a clean of each record. Not cost effective.

Wish I lived near you. Would like to see if a record or two of mine would actually clean up good with a machine like this.

Happy record cleaning!

When I get it, next month (I declined to purchase this month’s allocation), you can send me your records and I’ll clean it for you.
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,494
    edited November 2020
    the before mentioned
    KirmussAudio KA-RC-1 Ultrasonic Record Restoration System Package is on sale.
    https://elusivedisc.com/kirmussaudio-ka-rc-1-ultrasonic-record-restoration-system-package

I have no experience with it.

You still need some kind of vacuum IMO.
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • Joey_V
    edited November 2020
    Kirmuss takes like 30 minutes man

@SIHAB
    I watched the video, doesn’t seem like the vacuum beats degritter
  • FYI: While looking at one online magazine, I saw this cleaning machine that was introduced in 2019. It is available on Amazon less than a grand. It sure looks like is has too many parts to make it simple to operate and maintain.

4s9tzbkjjwht.png

"Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • SIHAB
    edited November 2020

@SIHAB

I use a RCM and a "homemade" URC machine made by a Club Polk member.
    After cleaning a record w/ the URC I rinse and vacuum with the RCM.

For you, the degritter sounds like the way to go just for the time savings...

P.S. I use my RCM to rinse sweep off dust that may have been imparted onto
    the vinyl by the inner sleeve or whatever before playing if needed. Take a minute
    or so.

Post edited by SIHAB on
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • displayname
    @Joey_V have you decided on which sleeves you are going to use? No sense cleaning records just to put them back into dirty sleeves. Might as well stock up when you order the Degritter.
    Discogs
  • Joey_V
    @Joey_V have you decided on which sleeves you are going to use? No sense cleaning records just to put them back into dirty sleeves. Might as well stock up when you order the Degritter.
    I ordered MOFI inner and outer
    All is ready

Just went to my friends house tonight with a base avenger... his attention to detail is beyond mine, I need to work on a few things.

8arbe1i0cvkk.jpeg
    mwgazu81xdm9.jpeg

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    I’m doomed

Finally the truth comes out...
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    edited November 2020
    Black or white....?
    hndqgcby4dpi.jpeg
    1j70iivsshqs.jpeg

Ask your wife which one she likes better then get the opposite.

Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Joey_V
    ^^^

I’m trying NOT to get killed here
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Having met the used car salesman and seen his Kirmuss in action.....PASS!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Joey_V
    F1nut wrote: »
    Having met the used car salesman and seen his Kirmuss in action.....PASS!

Interesting....
  • SIHAB
    Yes, after watching the vid I wouldn't use his method...
    FWIW.
  • Joey_V
    SIHAB wrote: »
    Yes, after watching the vid I wouldn't use his method...
    FWIW.

Which?
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471

@SIHAB

30 minutes a record!? That's like 3 beers!
    I'd be hammered before the needle hit the lead grove! Pass...
  • displayname
    DaveHo wrote: »

@SIHAB

30 minutes a record!? That's like 3 beers!
    I'd be hammered before the needle hit the lead grove! Pass...

That's the minimum. It calls for repeats until no white foam shows up on the scrub. Could take multiple passes.
    Discogs
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    The secret to no foam is don't work the brush.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk